Open Call for Delegates / Apply now!

Thank you for considering nominating yourself as a Decentraland DAO delegate! If you have questions, you can get help in the Decentraland’s Discord #dao channel.

From the Governance Squad we identified a problem on how the VP Delegation is working on the Decentraland DAO. This mechanism has been active since July 2021, however, only 23 accounts have received VP via delegation for a total of 1.6M VP, which is a very small percentage of the total circulating VP.

This Call for Delegates aims to showcase active members of the Decentraland community that would like to actively participate in the governance process. Delegate profiles will be listed in the Governance dApp for easy access.

How Delegation Works?

• Any user can delegate all their VP to another address. It is not possible to delegate a portion of your VP, or to distribute it among multiple delegates. However one could distribute their assets in different addresses and delegate VP from each of those addresses.
  • VP delegation is not transitive: if A delegates to B, and B delegates to C, A’s VP is not delegated to C. That means that B cannot give A’s VP to C.
  • Authorizing delegation requires an on-chain transaction, which involves paying an Ethereum gas fee (~$30 USD).
  • After delegation, you can still vote on the governance platform. If both you and your delegate vote on the same proposal, your vote will override the vote of your delegate.
  • You can change or revoke the delegation at any time, making another on-chain transaction.

We hope this action will increase the participation of VPs in the governance process and also evolve towards a more healthy VP distribution.

Being a delegate is a volunteer, community service position. There are no additional incentives.

To put forward your name as a delegate, please reply to this forum thread using the following template:

Delegate Application Template

Address or ENS name:

Short Bio (280 characters max):

(A very brief description about yourself, e.g. a twitter bio)

Relevant links:

(Discord, Twitter, Github, Instagram, Websites)

My relevant skills (comma-separated values or tags):

(web3, programming, 3d modeling, community moderation, etc)

My involvement with Decentraland:

(How long have you been involved? How did you contribute?)

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate:

(What kind of changes do you want to promote in the DAO? What’s important to you?)

My 5-year vision for Decentraland:

(What do you want to see? What is the role of the DAO in it?)

What do you think is the most important issue in Decentraland?

(What challenges will we face in the next 12 to 24 months?)

Please, copy and paste it as a reply filling it with your own answers!

2 Likes

Address or ENS name:
Patmacs.eth
#patmacs#8139

Short Bio (280 characters max):
I’ve been a DCL SDK developer for over a year and am an active member on discord. I attend every Townhall meeting and act as a mentor in the #sdk channel regularly. I host a weekly SDK meetup group every Wednesday where I teach people how to build in decentraland. I build every day, even weekends.

Relevant links:

My relevant skills (comma-separated values or tags):
Fullstack web developer (API/UI/Devop)
Graphic designer
3d modeler
SDK mentor
Grant Beneficiary

My involvement with Decentraland:
I work in decentraland all day to some degree. I’m either working on blockchain projects or building utilities/tools or training people in building. I consult with many metaverse companies and champion dcl to people who are skeptical.

(How long have you been involved? How did you contribute?)
Over a year or so. I’m very active in the community. Message me on discord!

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate:
I have an intimate understanding of building in dcl and have a great understanding of what effort is needed to achieve certain proposals. I’m also a dcl player, so I know what things have been attempted in the past and I pay attention to upcoming technologies that may be interesting/useful to implement into decentraland.

(What kind of changes do you want to promote in the DAO? What’s important to you?)
Fairness and freedom are critical. A healthy community that can build together. I enjoy networking people so they can collaborate instead of compete. I think these principals are important to the long term success of dcl.

My 5-year vision for Decentraland:
I’d like to see DCL become a place where users explore and create content in a censorship free and constantly improving/evolving ecosystem. Adopting new technologies in meaningful ways so that it’s always competing for the top spot as a metaverse destination.

(What do you want to see? What is the role of the DAO in it?)
The DAO is great for issuing grants that can have a meaningful impact on the community as a whole, and the polls are important to gauge community interest as well as help steer the development roadmap in a more accessible/future-proofed direction for everyone.

What do you think is the most important issue in Decentraland?
Creating content is challenging. It should be much simpler and more fun to do. With more content there will be more users. Content in any form, 3d models, games, video streams, ect. “If you build it, they will come.”

(What challenges will we face in the next 12 to 24 months?)
Other metaverses will slowly gain attraction due to having better graphics capabilities or easier content creation processes. At least temporarily. It will be important for dcl to leverage as many cool and interesting (open sourced) technologies as possible to keep pace with them. Although in the end, I believe dcl will win out as it’s the linux of metaverses.

4 Likes