[DAO: QmQFdip] Halt the implementation of the Governance Proposal to adjust the creators fee to reflect a set fiat value of $500

Correct, starting on May 26, the fee will be dynamically adjusted in real time to be 500 USD.

You can rent lands.

It was not really doable to manually update it frequently.

The timing is just due to when the smartcontract to update the fee was done, not really due to the crash or anything, it’s likely bad timing but will there ever be a right timing?

4 Likes

Fully agree and appreciate your swift response! #Cheers @HPrivakos!

1 Like

This is also what SCREWED a lot of creators that put out Mythics and Legendries at that $500 price point. When I see a Mythic now going for sometimes less than 50 Mana… This screws with the entire system in place.

3 Likes

There seems to be a lot of confusion around this. Nothing was decided at the town hall, an update was issued surrounding a technical implementation of automatically adjusting the price of Wearables to the 500 USD value, as was decided in a previous proposal.

1 Like

In the instance that MANA is valued at about $1USD or less, i am not entirely opposed to it being a little higher. However, $500USD seems a little steep. I’m not going to claim to know what the magic number is, as i believe it should be left to the community to decide what that price should be…
A big part of why i fell in love with Decentraland was because it wasn’t tied to the USD in such a fixed way. Hopefully as a community we can come to a more balanced solution.
But either way, if that is the direction pushed and if a “fixed USD” equivalent of MANA is decided on, there should be some sort of tool that is constantly adjusting to price fluctuations(similar to the tool used to display gas cost when sending crypto or buying an NFT).
With a tool like this in place, the only sudden changes that are made are due to volatility in the crypto market(which is a very volatile market most of the time, we all know this). Also with this, Creators can time their wearable submissions like timing an entry in any other market trade.
If these points seem redundant, it may be do to the confusion in the widely talked about topic about the timing of this proposal and how it may/may not be to the benefit of the foundation or whatever. However if a tool like this was already in place those perspective opinions and confusions could be avoided because the tool itself would be adjusting visibly in front of anyone who is looking at it…

2 Likes

I just reread what you stated here @HPrivakos
“Correct, starting on May 26, the fee will be dynamically adjusted in real time to be 500 USD.”
Is this adjustment going to be done weekly/daily? or will it be done in a manner similar to my previous comment?

This will probably get lost in the comments but some really good solutions to pricing some people have come up with is a scaling system that prices publishing around rarity (rather than a one price fits all), so if it was unique: $1000 usd and if it was common like $100 usd. Then it allows people to budget around their needs.
Another interesting solution was a DCL stable coin to be used for publishing costs and land rentals.

Good to have here as part of the discussion~

3 Likes

Ahh… I would love to see a more detailed draft of this kind of rarity scaling submission cost. I think this may be something that could yield some interesting market impact @michi

And I don’t believe all of the market problems we are seeing will be fixed all by one simple solution. It most likely will be a combination of few different things. Some pros and cons for many with any change but there’s got to be some sort of balance.

2 Likes

I have released wearables since December 2021, and I have released a total of 5 wearables so far. I paid publication fee of 100 MANA per wearable. Earn about 2000 MANA through events, not just wearable sales, but wearable creation contests and more. Although I think my wearables are selling well, I haven’t sold any of my MANA out of love for decentraland. The price of MANA is falling. If publication fee is anchored at $500, at the current price of MANA, maybe my wearable sales in the past six months cannot even cover the new 5 wearable publication fee.

Developing an economic strategy is a complex problem, in fact I don’t have a better solution, I’m just sharing my experience as a wearable creator. I have invested time and money in creating wearables, but with MANA prices falling I may not be able to guarantee that the MANA I hold will cover the publication fee of my new wearable. I think there are a lot of creators who are in the same situation as me. This publication fee strategy requires creators to consider when to sell MANA or when to buy MANA.

I love decentraland and I wish it becomes more friendly to anyone.

2 Likes

We voted in a change from 500 MANA to 500$ in MANA because the MANA has gained in value, so what is the problem? to me some of you don’t want to respect the vote and want to continue abusing the outdated 100 mana fee. Some of these and twitter comments don’t seem to know what the fee is for, yeah lets set it up collections for free so DAO gets nothing and wearable committee will review your collections for free and marketplace gets even more spammed with low effort copy paste designs.

4 Likes

I have not paid more than 100 MANA in the last 5 months. in fact it has always been 100 MANA even ever submission, including the one I just did right before replying to this. So either you haven’t submitted in a while, or you’re getting ripped off if you’re paying 500 MANA still to submit unfortunately.

100 usd or mana a name cause 100 vp. 300 usd or mana a wearable 100 out wearable fee for grants 200 for paying curator and improving ui and development.

1 Like

Dear all,

The cost on the platform would be too much if the wearable curation is too cheap. This is a very sensitive tradeoff for the future of the platform. There was a thoughtful discussion in the past why the cost of curation should be somewhat expensive:
[1]: [DAO: QmT9WrE] Revised proposal for wearable publication fees - #5 by esteban
[2]: [DAO: QmTkzM2] Curation of Programmatic Collections for Linked Wearables - #7 by esteban

I invite everyone to read through those posts before arguing for cheaper curation. Of course there are aspects for improvement and I hope we can move forward with solutions that are respectful, fair, and work for everyone!

Thank you all!
Esteban

2 Likes

I would suggest to keep the 100 Mana or switch over to an equivalent of $100 to $200 in Mana (well this must be implemented then in the process) and increase the “success factor” from 2,5% to 5% or more. So you have a gatekeeping function that not every idiot uploads stuff and can participate from the earnings if the wearable is successful. I think this would be fair to DCL and the creators.

With $500 I’m out as an independant artist as my fiat money income doesn’t grow on trees and I’m no bitcoin retiree yet.

1 Like

Key words in my previous post “I’d been paying 500mana for almost all my wearables” with the key words being “almost all” but thats not going to change my vote. Like I said previously, a lot complaining about how unfair it is that they got away with only paying 100 mana these past few month.

100 precent!!! And welcome to the community chat/forum/discussion :blush:

Unique are a waste of time unless its’s for yourself, or something really dope, that someone loaded with MANA is willing to buy. And even then, if you are not a well known artist then you are essentially screwed!

The tier thing is not a bad idea but I still think the change back to $500 is fair. I would say that 80% or so coming into DCL now are coming in thinking they will become rich with little to no engagement, effort, or costs. Because of this, we have a market full of creators trying to make a living of selling wearables and thats not going to cut it. The market has become over diluted and a higher price tag will help with this. Although it’s unfair to anyone with no means to scrape up the $500, tough love, thats just the way a lot of things in life are. I don’t come from money and yet spent almost everything i had saved up to come into this space and try something new. Started creating wearables with no experience at all like many others on here. I realize i went at it all wrong! I’m terrible at promoting and failed to build a brand prior to creating! I reached out to several on twitter for help but never heard back. For a community where everyone says they are here to help and all, this is from my experience, a bunch of bull! Everyone on here no different that the people roaming around IRL. For the most part its everyone out for themselves. If you don’t have those connections and lack the skills and experience then you have to work harder than everyone else to make it. But enough about me ranting over nothing! This is not a get rich quick scheme. Your are here to promote your work and build something for yourself. Wearable alone is not going to cut it. If you have land and are already a well known creator then you good. If not, then many struggles await, and it’s going to be more than $500 out of your pocket.

In terms of DCL being Decentralized… Who are you all kidding! Stop lying to yourselves and thinking that everything related to crypto is or needs to be 100% decentralized!

2 Likes

So mana is the currency of Decentraland right? Stick to it, dont change it just because mana is down in price. Otherwise, why use mana, why not just use the dollar?

2 Likes

Adding to what Esteban is saying:

This issue was intensely discussed, debated, and thought out during the last MANA pump about 6 months ago. We had several town hall discussions about it, and once again, these current items are about implementing previously agreed upon decisions by the DAO/Community.

This main issue of MANA being down people wanting to increase the price, MANA being up people wanting to lower the price was resolved by automatically pegging the submission fee to MANA equating to $500 USD, adjusted weekly.

Those wishing to re-approach this decision and re-open formal discussions, would need to launch a new poll and progress through the three-staged governance process.

My personal opinion is that we reached a sound solution, and that from this point we can continue to find equitable and just responses to new issues if/as they arise.

2 Likes

The currency is still MANA. What changes is the amount.

2 Likes