[DAO: QmQFdip] Halt the implementation of the Governance Proposal to adjust the creators fee to reflect a set fiat value of $500

We had the opposite conversation a year ago when all creators fighted for several months to go from 500 MANA to $500.
500 MANA was done when MANA was under 1 USD, people were fine with it, then MANA went to 5 USD and everyone complained.
If we don’t change the price when MANA is down, then we don’t change the price when MANA is up.
Back to 500 MANA then?

3 Likes

I feel like this shouldn’t even be a question The price should stay the same for everyone all the time fiat is stable Mana is not. We should constantly update the price depending on its fiat equivalent.
& I personally feel like $500 is way to high should be about $100
Considering all the limitations with tris and textures $500 makes people not want to create.
It hurts to downgrade something you created & were so proud of just to get it approved.
& we are trying to bring more people into the space.
I say we create a bot that updates the price real time so we all pay the same to create whatever the price.$100-$500

Obviously that’s a NO from me because I could give a fuck about a dollar. I’m about a mana boi.

STOP

Voted yes

• Give time for more discussion, and new creators to prep

• I disagree with the fiat part of the original proposal: DCL creators should operate in MANA, thats the eco

• The MANA cost was initially 500, that a little bit too high for new entrants

When you have to peg a fee to a fiat currency it just makes the need for a crypto like MANA useless.
Might as well just abolish MANA and charge everything in U.S dollars.

Should be left at 100 MANA regardless of the U.S value. why do we need to bring a fiat currency into the loop.

say MANA is 1 MANA = $1USD. Legendary fee would be 500 MANA. Say you manage to sell out at 6 or 7 MANA/item but by then MANA is 1 MANA = $0.5USD. Then you’re shat out of luck cause that means the fee is 1000 MANA.

I see peoples creating unwritten laws, where does it say it has to be 100mana?, 500mana?, 1000$?, etc. Peoples are complaining about these fee rates like it must be “that” specific fee. Decentraland forgets that 90% of the users who buys these wearables are regular players that logs in the game everyday, who wants to collect, and show of in the world for fun, and less for “flipping”. What i mean by that, in the end this platform is aimed towards gaming spectrum, and so are most of the artists.
On steam, a good AAA game made with a budget of 150 million dollars costs you around 60$, and some of them allows creators to create content for the game for a specific percent from the sales, without paying for the upload since they earn from the sales. So why should we pay 500-2000$" to upload a wearable on the marketplace, wearable created entirely by us, the artists?. Which formula was used in order to charge such fee?, based on which factors?, per which amount of wearables?.
In a decentralized environment as “we all” call it, this is pure robbery, invented by some " parties" in order to profit from artists(even if they don’t sell anything), also pushing artists working for those who have stacks in crypto, because they can’t afford these rates.
Is like buying a new computer every 2 weeks, not to mention that they will give you no guarantee that you will sell enough to even cover that fee. Also, you have to market yourself in order to sell something, because your item will be gone from the first page in less than a day.

DAO means " EVERYONE", so if they chose to go with this format for “their” product, they should be for the community, and not just an entity that is always choosing " the other side", pushing specific “whales” to always be in their favor.

In my opinion this fee should not even exist, and the only fee we should pay for, is for the time put by the curator examining your product, and that should be based on total time spent curating that specific item.

Instead of taking such an amount of money from the creator, them not knowing if they even sell anything, i would just increase the percentage taken from each sale, to something not as absurd as the creator fee.
That is more than enough to cover " storage?:), bandwidth, extra work, etc. Let’s not forget that the real money are not made from the wearables, so pushing that reason as the main conflict for the fee to cover the costs for those services, it wouldn’t be fair. The big pot is used for everything that runs in DCL, and not based on a specific branch.

Also, another reason with making the fee so high to avoid bad quality items, is a joke. There are plenty of "novice " items created when mana was 4+$, and that was because those peoples could afford paying to upload them.

You want to charge more?, charge big brands, but also charge everyone else based on specific revenue (the common behavior for these entities is “hit and run”), and not like the regular active artist in the community who wants to make a cheap buck, while keeping this community alive, through them.

Keeping a high rate for creators, will also push them to increase the price, which will create an environment only for those with a good income, which is not what i envisioned for this platform to become. This will also hurt badly those who want to make games in decentraland based on wearables from the marketplace. Some created games needs 10-50 wearables parts, in order to create some gameplay with utility. So, taking high fees, or any fees for the wearable submission it will kill the potential of expanding the online userbase in Decentraland. See the large picture, not just the self interest, which in the end it will affect you as well.
While this could be fruitful for 10-20 really good known creators, it will kill the active userbase. Unless you want this place to become another Star Citizen with an empty world and expensive ships.

So, is this product just a lottery ticket?, hoping to become rich overnight playing in the NFT realm?, or it should be a safe and enjoyable environment, created by/for everyone, with equal chances to success.

ps. excuse my broken english as is not my main language, also, please do not take my comment as salty. I am simply expressing what i see and feel about this situation, on my own judgment ground.

3 Likes

“Back to 500 MANA then?”

Yes, can we? please.

2 Likes

Not sure why pegging a DAO offered service to USD makes any sense.

From an economic perspective this disincentives people from publishing. I would hope that most of us believe that MANA will appreciate over time vs the USD. Thus, pegging to the USD creates a deflationary environment for publishing. In other words, the same amount of MANA would be expected (on average) to be worthmore USD overtime and therefore be able to publish more wearables?

Why spend MANA and publish now when you can wait and spend the same amount to publish multiple wearables later?

Also, how are we meant to price wearables in MANA when the publication cost is constantly changing in MANA value? It is much harder to say “I need to make 25 sales at 4 MANA each to be able to publish another wearable”.

I think that we should incentivize all DAO services to be paid in MANA - it makes sense if we want to support an easy to understand game economy. We are not the USA, we are Decentraland, we spend MANA.

1 Like

Stable is a relative word. Stablecoins are stable relative to USD.

A 100 MANA fee is also stable relative to how many MANA required for the fee.

Pegging to USD makes publishing costs very unstable in terms of number of MANA.

“Stable in value” depends on whether or not you value having your MANA or the USD

This is exactly the logic that I apply to publishing, especially since the marketplace prices are set in MANA and not pegged to the USD.

I have to consider “how many do I need to sell to make the publishing fee back?” This is how I price things. I do not constantly change my wearable MANA price depending on the current trade rate of the USD. Rather, I price out things in MANA and set a goal for how many sales I need in order to make another publication fee. Overall, since I believe in MANA, I price my DCL stuff in MANA. If I were worried about USD then I’d go elsewhere.

1 Like

All Crypto is Pegged to Fiat. Some are Stable some fluctuate. Our personal opinion of each currency doesn’t change that. At the end of the day we all use Fiat to purchase our Mana.

I’m not sure what you mean by “All crypto is pegged to fiat.” That is just factually incorrect. Either that or you are misinterpreting the term “pegged”

Pegging something to the USD means to maintain a constant USD equivalent for that thing. For example, USDC is pegged 1-to-1 with the USD so that 1 USDC is always 1 USD. A pegged value does not fluctuate at all relative to the thing it is pegged to. So no, cryptos are not all pegged to the USD.

Crypto being traded for USD on centralized exchanges is not the same thing as it being “pegged” to the USD… Also, USD is not the only thing people use to buy MANA, you can trade for a huge variety of other cryptos.

There being an option to buy MANA with USD does not mean that we need to keep all MANA services pegged to the USD. Maybe an option to show you the current conversion rate would help with the confusion you seem to be having when converting things in terms of MANA value vs USD value. Not all values can be merely measured with its USD equivalence, the value any single person ascribes to something is a matter of their own opinion

@MrHamm Well I suppose you are right about the pegged part. But they are all compared to fiat. That’s why every exchange shows the fiat equivalent.

The point is that right now the fee to list 1 wearable is 100 MANA. It was 100 2 months ago, it wads 100 last month and 100 today. No fluctuation. I don’t buy Mana and all is from game play. My goal is gain 100 mana and that is achivable. Don’t have to think about what the value is of fiat at all.

If the fee is $500usd then it changes what the fee will be to list. Today it could be 520 mana fee tomorrow it can change to 1000 mana fee if the value of mana drops. The dynamics change. Say you paid the 520 mana fee to list and item today. And you sell for 7 mana each. That’s 700 mana of sales but if by end of month the fee is now 1000 mana then you are short the 300 mana to be able to list something new. We need a stable fee in mana. And 100 mana was a sweet spot.

Also most users are note paying more than 5-7 mana for a wearable. So if people have to increase their price then people will buy less.

1 Like

Looking at the list of who has voted the majority who has said to stop it are wearable creators.
And those who said yes to go with the change the majority just hold land and don’t create.

4 Likes

Halt the implementation of the Governance Proposal to adjust the creators fee to reflect a set fiat value of $500

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Stop the proposal from going into effect. keep the creators fee at 100 mana until a new proposal is voted on 59% 2,911,132 VP (95 votes)
  • Allow the proposal to go into effect on may 26th increasing the creator’s fee to $500 worth of mana 41% 2,057,695 VP (28 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 0% 0 VP (0 votes)
1 Like

This change going through would also change it back to 500 MANA lmao you’re arguing your own point here

1 Like

Currently I’ve seen speculation starting to pop up of what this means, I would recommend no assumptions till theres an official message from Decentraland or the @dao . DAO proposals aren’t instant, can take time and other processes are involved to implement.

Consider the first proposal took 8 months to enact, involved weeks of town halls, draft processes and community dialog.

Halt the implementation of the Governance Proposal to adjust the creators fee to reflect a set fiat value of $500

This proposal has been PASSED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfe91c0c482e09600f2d1dbca10fd705bc6de60bc)

1 Like

For everyone here, the deployment has been halted and announced here with a good summary of the events.

I have created a DRAFT proposal to Restructure the Wearable Submission Fee. I expect this document can give a framework to continue the discussion.

Comments are open to anyone, feedback is very welcome!

5 Likes