by 0x9982b469910c2ee2ea566dcfcc250cdd34056397 (MrEric)
This is an updated version of a previous proposal for wearable publication fees. After receiving feedback and input from the community, the previous proposal has been updated to more accurately reflect the risk that a flood of NFT wearables poses to the platform.
The Wearables Editor will allow community content creators to upload collections of the 3D models and textures needed to mint NFT wearables. Before these wearable collections may be minted, they will have to pass through a publication process - part of which includes content moderation and approval to vet out spam and submissions that violate Decentraland’s Content Policy.
However, there remains the risk that creators will submit an excessive volume of collections, and/or that collections will be submitted with low-quality content.
This introduces several very significant risks to the entire Decentraland platform:
- A high volume of submissions will slow the approval process for other creators
- The Catalyst nodes that serve the content for Decentraland incur additional CPU, storage, and bandwidth costs for every wearable item added to the platform
- When exploring the world, users must download and render every custom wearable encountered
- Other dApps within the Decentraland platform must process every additional added item, negatively impacting their performance for users
Given the immutability of NFTs, wearables minted in Decentraland will be present forever. They cannot be removed. So, any detrimental effects they have on the performance of the platform cannot be removed.
To mitigate this risk, it is proposed that the DAO collect a publication fee for each item within a collection, regardless of the rarity selected when minting those items. This fee is not applied to every NFT minted from each item, only the item.
This fee will be transferred to the DAO and may help fund community grants, reimburse the Curation Committee for their work in vetting submissions, and other initiatives as seen fit by the community.
These fees can always be lowered or increased, but NFTs can never be removed from the platform.
- Disincentivize creators from submitting spam, thus increasing the rate at which legitimate submissions are approved and published
- Promotes the submission of very high quality wearables
- Protects the Decentraland platform from a permanent drop in performance due to a flood of NFT wearables
Each time a creator submits a collection in the Wearables Editor for publication, they must pay a fee in MANA (at the rate decided on by the DAO) for each item. These fees are charged per item in a collection, not per NFT minted from an item.
For example, if an X MANA fee is approved by the DAO, the fees would be as follows.
- 1 Unique item - 1 NFT - total minting cost X MANA
- 1 Mythic Item - 10 NFTs - total minting cost X MANA
- 1 Legendary Item - 100 NFTs - total minting cost X MANA
- 1 Epic item - 1000 NFTs - total minting cost X MANA
- 100 MANA
- 500 MANA
Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO