[DAO:6suxp4i] An Immersive In-World Marketplace Proposal

by 0xc3e3d13d98b84e1808c4145355c0cade20a2fc98 (LastSlice)

Should the following Tier 6: up to $240,000 USD, 6 months vesting (1 month cliff) grant in the Content Creator category be approved?

Abstract

At the highest level, the intent of the marketplace is to “virtualize” all of the Decentraland dApps and integrate them into the virtual world. Our team believes that a truly immersive experience begins by keeping as much of the Decentraland experience in-world as possible, including native DAO and Marketplace features, without requiring you to leave your Decentraland browser tab or client experience. Our goal is to have 100% of the market.decentraland.org functionality inside Decentraland and available freely to everyone, as well as to create a community hub for socialization and trade.

Grant size

240,000 USD

Beneficiary address

0x5F2ABE4d5313D6818e1eecEF8cCD172217e07e05

Email address

info@lastslice.org

Description

Upon spawning into Decentraland, you find that a mysterious envelope has appeared in your inventory. You examine its exterior and notice a gold-tinged seal with a coin-shaped sigil embossed into it. Suddenly, the seal springs open and grains of sand fly out in a flurry around you. Moments later, after you’ve regained your senses, you realize that you’re in a completely new area of the world – somewhere massive, surreal, sandy, and bustling with life.

“Welcome, human, to the marketplace,” a peculiar voice calls from an alley behind you, “I see you received my letter. Come, this way…” they say as their wrinkly, bejeweled finger beckons you to follow.

Description

Full doc → https://docs.google.com/document/d/10gLDguQpjONSHXQZe6\_aO9DopUoWXMC3e4Jp4xzYAi8/edit?usp=sharing

The marketplace at its core will address three common-sense problems that have yet to be implemented into the Decentraland experience: trying on and purchasing Marketplace items as a User, showcasing created items to sell in Storefronts as a Creator, and participating in the DAO as a Voter. The Decentraland Foundation is hard at work on many areas for the platform, so it’s time the community steps up to help build out this much-desired in-game functionality.

The DCL platform has been around since 2018, yet we still purchase in-game items (clothing, land, names, nfts) and vote for change through our browsers rather than inside the world of Decentraland. The marketplace aims to provide an improved experience to users by offering a free way to purchase and sell items in-game without ever having to leave the game world or pull up a second window.

The Decentraland Foundation has put a lot of effort into creating such an amazing platform for us all to meet, create, and explore. However, they must also rely on the community for innovation given the scale of the world. Our proposal aims to take some burden off the Foundation by building out these in-game purchasing experiences while also building amazing immersive content for the entire community. Being transparent, yes, it is already possible to sell wearables on your land in Decentraland. However, doing so remains a technical feat for most that requires an advanced skill set as well as land to deploy to. Doing so also lacks cohesion across a broader Marketplace vision that the marketplace seeks to accomplish through its initial Phase I deliverables.

In addition to the core functionality of the marketplace, our proposal touches on two gamification points: content creation and user retention. Through quests, storylines, factions, level progression, secret unveilings, in-game rewards, event spaces, and additional core activations such as future minigame(s), the marketplace will provide Decentraland users with engaging content that continues to evolve in complexity over time.

The marketplace is proposed to be 20x20 parcels (400 total) in size, which is the same scale as Genesis Plaza — that’s 1,102,223 square feet, 25.3 acres, or just over 19 football fields. The proposed location of the marketplace will be one of the two existing duplicate Plazas within Decentraland. Having a duplicate plaza is a redundant use of 400 parcels and there is currently no dedicated team at the Foundation to support the ongoing development of Genesis Plaza or its periphery.

This proposal, along with our proven team of dedicated creators, plan to transform this duplicate plaza into the marketplace vision laid before you.

Specification

Phase 1 Deliverables

The Oasis Central Hub

The Oasis Central Hub, currently dubbed simply the Hub or Oasis, will be the primary entrypoint for anyone teleporting to the marketplace and is located at the absolute center of the plaza. It will be the largest piece of open air architecture and will act as the center for all marketplace-related content. Think of main online areas from Ralph Breaks the Internet and Ready Player One, or perhaps even RuneScape’s Grand Exchange for reference:

Aside from being a social center, the Hub will provide multiple “Info Desks” where Users will be able to obtain area information, see new item releases, and virtually search for wearables to discover, try on, and purchase from the Marketplace. Another part of the Hub will be the “Quest Desk” which will be touched on later. There will also be open gathering spaces for players to hang out, socialize, discuss trades/quests/etc. Additional planned interactivity includes various NPCs, custom signage, possible ‘secret’ quests, and a live visual $MANA feed to name a few.

The Marketplace Fields & Storefronts

The marketplace fields will be organized into 4 quadrants around the Oasis Hub that will be populated with virtual Storefronts for all Creators. At the time of initial launch, 2 of the fields will be publicly open with the other 2 fields reserved for future expansion. Storefronts will initially focus on displaying primary sale products, but we plan to support secondary sale displays at a later date.

Each field is huge – think of a massive flea market that looks like Dune meets Star Wars, or the RPO Columbus Stacks meets a Middle Eastern Marketplace type-of-feel). Each marketplace Field will have a unique look and feel while still blending with the surrounding context of the plaza. Here is our current reference imagery for the field vision:

Storefronts will be free. To be eligible for a Storefront, the associated Creator wallet address must have at least one creation published on the Marketplace for a minimum of 30 days, however this logic is subject to change based on community feedback. As more collections are introduced, more Storefronts will be dynamically added to the ever-expanding Marketplace Fields stacks. Over time, this will create an evolving form of dynamic architecture. Here’s our initial proof of concept that is still in development with a lot of room for expansion:

Storefronts will be modular in design and Marketplace Creators will have the ability to choose from various visual layouts and styles. Marketplace visitors will be able to walk between each Storefront to discover new creators, collections, and explore what else the Marketplace Fields will offer. Our current implementation for each Storefront takes advantage of openly-available data via The Graph to verify all Creator wallets.

Quests & Beyond

Speaking of additional content, aside from the core goals of the Marketplace, we also have numerous immersive experiences planned that we believe will bring Users back again and again to streamline ongoing engagement and a sense of progress (similar to other P2E games in Decentraland, however, this will not be a P2E game). There will be reward and leveling systems to incentivize further engagement within the Marketplace that will go hand in hand with quests:

For Phase I, there are 4 public quests planned:
Please read the Google Doc for the full breakdown (can’t fit it here!)

Personnel

Together, the Last Slice development team has successfully executed large-scale builds in collaboration with incredible AAA-brands such as Samsung, Playboy, and Snapple. At our team’s core we love creating and solving problems, so this project is all about getting back to our community roots and innovating for everyone’s benefit, not just a brand.

3D

Archonomous - Design Lead

Blacknode

Cyclopa

Kirzoz

Meshroom

Naz

Paladin

Sango

Trifox

Timenotspace

Programming

Lastraum

Unknower

Dogman

Murpheus

Scene Audio

Raja The Tiger
Unknower

Kirzoz

Paladin

NFT Authr

Voice Audio

Murpheus

Kirzoz

Unknower

Tengu

YouMack

Mease

Proposal Design

Lastraum

Archonomous

AndyNFT

Tengu

Social Media

AndyNFT

YouMack

Nicole Nixon

Maryana

Tobik

Project Management

YouMack

Maryana

Nicole Nixon

Discord Support

AndyNFT

Unknower

YouMack

Maryana

Video Edition/Promotion

Trifox

Tobik

Maryana

Conceptual Design

Nicole

Archonomous

Naz

Roadmap and milestones

Projects of this scope have many parallel horizontal paths of development, and estimating precise milestones has proven cumbersome on past projects, especially when discovery is part of the process. However, Last Slice has never failed to deliver on-time and over-expectation, and we intend to maintain that track record.

With that said, we have every intention to be as transparent as possible throughout the development process. We plan to have a public Discord server for the scene setup, as well as to have it be monitored by familiar community members. We plan to have weekly live sessions with our builders behind the scenes and voice chats of our modeling and building progression. We as a group will regularly communicate our status through social channels like Twitter and Instagram, and are open to receiving input from the community at any point along the way. Progress and updates will be officially documented moving forward to display the history and growth of the Marketplace. This will allow for the community to follow along and stay in touch with the new developments on the build. Those of us at Last Slice find this to be crucial given that open community dialogue is a driving force inherent to Web3.

Budget Breakdown

3D Design & Modeling - 40% or $96,000

Programming - 40% or $96,000

Audio Programming - 5% or $12,000

Quest Team - 8% or $19,200

Soft Skills - 7% or $16,800

*Soft skills includes discord, social media, video editing, proposal design, PM

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

5 Likes

Bullish on LastSlice!!! :chart_with_upwards_trend: :chart_with_upwards_trend:

5 Likes

Amazing team full of competent and skilled people! Voted YES!

5 Likes

Lastraum da :goat: no :billed_cap:

:pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

5 Likes

Document is broken, new link → A Bazaar Proposal - Google Docs

2 Likes

Definitely agree with Vapoizador, they have gathered an amazing team for this and Lastraum is a brilliant leader in the space. So it’s a big YES from me. Also, really loved your plan to be super transparent and can’t wait to join in on your journey and watch as you guys build! This is going to be epic:)

4 Likes

I voted yes with enthusiasm and excitement for this ambitious project. I think it is really important to put unused land to good practical use; considering how much is untouched still. I like the idea of having spaces in this build for creators to show off their wearables in an immersive way. I do think there should be clear parameters for having a spot as a creator. I think a good place to start would be with the new Verified Partner Registry + sales metrics/activity. Just to avoid it becoming a “competition” and forcing monetization later down the line. I understand this will all evolve over time but just wanted to put that out there.

I love the amount of conceptualizing that has gone into this idea. I am excited to see how this pans out and see the ambition achieved!

4 Likes

Hello All!

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to read through and participate in this Bazaar proposal. Here’s the work-in-progress concept imagery and visual references prepared to accompany the written content:

Conceptual Plaza Masterplan (click to enlarge the 8K rendering):

Conceptual Modular Storefront Assembly:

Visual References for the Hub:

Visual References for the Bazaar fields:

6 Likes

Amazing visuals here!

I already commented most of my thoughts during the props incubation, so I’m excited to the proposal posted. Look forward to seeing it come to life, or maybe even helping create something in this space in the future!

6 Likes

I would love to see this implemented!
When you’re browsing the current marketplace, sometimes you can’t see exactly how the wearables will look on you, sometimes the preview is bugged… an immersive experience like this would incentivize users to check out the marketplace more at the same time getting more eyes on the creator’s works.
+++The team behind it

3 Likes

Love everything about this proposal. It’s well beyond time we address the issue of ‘dead’ land. I can’t possibly think of a better use for one of the duplicate plazas than an immersive, in-world shopping experience.

I hope this passes.

4 Likes

Something like this would be amazing! Voting yes!

4 Likes

I only have a small concern, appears that the beneficiary address 0x5F2ABE4d5313D6818e1eecEF8cCD172217e07e05 is not a multisig wallet.

Sending that amount of funds to a regular address (or granting it the power to release funds), even if the private key was generated by hardware, can be risky.

2 Likes

Sorry, our first proposal lol. Can we update the beneficiary address?

2 Likes

Im personally fine with just Lastraum getting it and doing what he needs to. His track record is proven trust worthy. Sure many on the project will feel same. If not they will say so.

2 Likes

Hello

I would like to ask something,
During decentraland summer festival, the functionality to purchase from decentraland marketplace from inside the world was already developed by @HPrivakos
This code is also used on the amnesia scene we developed and any wearable can be purchased from inside the metaverse.

Knowing this i am wondering what is the technology that is going to be developed, cause if not 240k for doing the 3D design of a bazar seems very expensive, but maybe im missing something

We appreciate the feedback! Currently the world wearable purchases are very isolated to individual scenes, experiences, and developer skill set that have the ability to implement such code bases into their scenes. We want want to create a global marketplace in one location for all wearable purchases. In addition to wearables, we want ALL dapp activity to happen inside decentraland in one location. We see this as a huge requirement for larger adoption and longevity to the platform.

Our proposal goes a step further and introduces immersive experiences over time, providing continued activations on what is currently duplicated and dormant land.

But dont you think that 240k its like way too much for grabbing an existing code and place it on a bigger scene?

When you say ‘‘ALL dapp activity’’ what does it implies besides buying and selling nfts?

At the same time, who is gonna decide which wearable is displayed on each section of the marketplace?

Cause if the decision is made by only one person, its kind of a little bit centralized and by using lands that belong to the DAO can even get the entire project into a legal problem