[DAO:umimkju] Deployable custom NFT shop & dashboard for land owners & operators

by 0xea5fed1d0141f14de11249577921b08783d6a360 (GabeDG)

Should the following Tier 4: up to $60,000 USD, 6 months vesting (1 month cliff) grant in the Platform Contributor category be approved?

Abstract

The metaverse is a virtual economy for the exchange of virtual goods & services via wearables, NFTs, etc. For the economy to grow, tools must exist and readily be available to land owners and their teams to efficiently manage on-scene NFT shops.

We observe many brands today getting involved in the metaverse to stay ā€œaheadā€ in their industries, its positive PR, and extra stream of income. However, with the lack of proper tools to efficiently deploy and monitor its virtual goods, companies may not fully invest in its metaverse sales initiatives.

To solve this, we are motivated to develop the tools required for scene owners in Decentraland to efficiently sell their digital objects on their scene.

Grant size

60,000 USD

Beneficiary address

0x9243C7F89737775413b55DcB3D9237Cb20618a3b

Email address

0xgabe23@gmail.com

Description

We are going to develop a npm package for Decentraland that will allow any scene owner to implement their own ā€œon-parcel storeā€ to manage the purchase and sale of any wearable, in a streamlined, efficient way.
The objectives for the project are:
Each owner should be able to have their own shop displaying the items they choose to sell, on their own scene.
Separate the role of a developer from a community manager/ event planner by allowing the community manager to easily manage the published items to the shop from a user-friendly website, without needing to modify the scene code.

The process is the following:

A developer implements this new package on a scene
Within the scene code, ā€˜ā€™slotsā€™ā€™ are created, which are spaces where the wearables will be located, specifying the x,y,z coordinates of these slots.
From the external website, the community manager will have the chance to indicate which wearable they would want to place for sale on each of the slots
The external website will automatically generate a json file with all of the necessary configuration for that shop. The scene will interface accordingly to the set configuration
The users are now allowed to access the scene to purchase the objects (i.e. wearables) placed for sale.

Additionally we will add a functionality to allow the user to publish their wearables to the marketplace from a 2D module window but still from within the metaverse.

Specification

The platform will rely on its own backend, developed over node js. This backend will manage the information of each scene shop and marketplace.
The package that will be implemented on each Decentraland scene will be developed using Typescript.
There will be a websocket connection between the backend and each scene that implements the package for pushing marketplace updates.
The transactions towards the marketplace will implement meta-transactions for a seamless experience (and free gas transaction for the user) .

Personnel

The team will be formed by four senior developers:
0xGabe (PMO)
Null (Front end)
Tallulah-Arg (Back end)
Ngioffre (Front - Back)

The team has expertise on the following areas:
Vainilla js, Vue.js, React.js, React native, Ionic, Cordova , Node.js , Nest.js, Php, Bash scripting , Sql and no-sql databases., Infraestructura, AWS services , Gcp services, Github actions, Jenkins CI CD, NX monorepo, Pulumi for CI/CD, Web3, ethers js, Solidity, Hardhat and many more.

Our development team was responsible for the following milestones in Decentraland:
Discord chat integration inside Decentraland
Twitch chat integration inside Decentraland
Theta streaming services integration inside Decentraland
Development of vip areas/restricted areas based on the possession of an NFT
Development of the Amnesia scene
Development of a CMS for Decentraland scenes.

The latest development, the CMS for scenes, is a solution which offers the possibility to manage banners and variables of a DCL scene from an external website.

This is how the dashboard looks like:

The user is able to modify banners or variables from within a dashboard, and the changes are reflected on a json file, which is obtained through an endpoint.
The Decentraland scene uses that endpoint and reacts accordingly to the configuration (i.e., specifying the media an advertising banner should display).
This tool allows for a CM to make changes on a scene without the help from a developer.

Roadmap and milestones

If the grant proposal is passed, a completed & tested package would be available at the beginning of Q1 2023.
2D Interface for wearables (sell and purchase) inside the metaverse.
Real-time Web3 confirmation to the marketplace.
Plug and Play SDK for node.js (Decentraland), full typed.
Improve test code-coverage.
Design metaverse UI
Automatically create slots within the account setup.
Ready to use dispenser functionality.
Web3 backend integration using an external provider.
Sales reporting
Centralized backend implementation
Build database schema with migrations
Deployment and go-live

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

2 Likes

This is a 100% yes vote from me. The team behind this proposal has multiple complete projects to show. The proposal asks for a reasonable amount of DCL DAO funds, with a clear breakdown of the roadmap and fast delivery by Q1 2023. This is a tool that would be a benefit to all land owners and operators and I would also love to use it for my project The Ocean Meta on our land in DCL. We need more grant proposals for these type of things that build more utility directly into DCLs platform!

I do personally love this idea. The benefits to land owners and artists in my opinion would well surpass expectations led by this amazing team. This could also encourage more creators to become involved with dcl as well as promote more activity within the dcl ecosystem. :fire:

I think this would be a cool feature to have, to be able to have access to more custom NFT stores through all of decentraland

I really love this idea! It would be a good implementation for DCL

I am voting YES on this proposal. I canā€™t wait to use this, as I want to be able to sell wearables on our parcel - and easily manage it! Definitely a crucial tool that should already be available to land owners/operators in SDK. I look forward to the dashboard, which based on the photo attached, im envisioning would allow easy configuration of the wearable settings. Also, a time saving way to not have to go into the code and modify manually (or call in your programmer).

The budget is reasonable, the team has developed projects before in Decentraland. I would recommend making a guide for the land owners/managers on using this as well. Canā€™t wait to hear about the progress of this, should it pass.

1 Like

As an land and real life clothing brand owner i do love this idea and after reading this proposal i actually donā€™t even want to miss it out.

Every landlord can only profit from this idea and 60,000 for a rehearsed team can move mountains.

I think this is an excellent proposal. The team supporting this project is first class. The amount requested is not only reasonable but realistic. This will benefit land owners and artists. Excellent idea!

60k seems like a lot for this - do you have a budget breakdown?

2 Likes

Yes! The ability for landowners to easily showcase & sell items within Decentraland has been much needed and is long overdue. Providing the community with an easily deployable tool any landowner can use to monetize their land parcel is a huge gap that needs a solution. This proposed solution will be extremely attractive to current and prospective land owners and operators in Decentraland.

I have personal experience working with the members of the team behind the proposal and I can vouch for their expertise and quality of work. Custom tools Decentral Games currently uses across its scenes were designed and implemented by this team, and continue to serve us well.

Lets bring DCL to the next level!

Thank your for your comment, the budget doesnā€™t have much else to breakdown since the project consist purely on coding and creating a user friendly dashboard that enables anyone to be able to operate an NFT store. The budget is the part time salary of 4 devs for 4 months, so $3750 per dev, per month

@Murphjestic @CyrusDaGreat Thank you for the kind words really motivates us to make this an excellent product and we are really excited to get this moving forward

@alekssupernova thank you very much for your comment!
I actually runned a fashion retail company for over 4 years and it was one of the motivators for get this going :slight_smile:
When we did the partnership with bershka it would have been a great tool to have!

I really support this proposal, this team has contributed to Decentral in various ways and I feel that it will be so beneficial. The idea of ā€‹ā€‹implementing it in 2D sounds interesting since it would be comfortable to buy or sell from the cell phone while we are traveling ;), besides it would be a good way to make lands useful and add value to them. I support our PMO Gabes and I hopefully it can be implemented.

What is the license for the completed project? Will anyone be able to re-purpose individual pieces for their own use? If individual modules will be available for public use this can be helpful. For example, the avatarshape preview integration as an individual module and the existing web3 integrations w/ external providers are currently lacking.

I disagree that this canā€™t be broken down further. How many hours do you expect each feature to take? What is the hourly rate per developer? Your description lists 3 devs and you as the PMO. Are all 4 members receiving equal pay and working equal hours?

What are the hosting fees associated with the backend implementation? Does this cover all associated budget for that for eternity?

Without seeing an estimated effort for each task, the budget is too vague for me to vote yes. I agree with dax that this feels a bit high for something that already exists in various pieces and still requires a developer to implement it on scene, even if it simplifies the long term management.

Gabe is a very talented individual. He has been around for a very long time.I am very supportive of the Technology he is creating, this is something we have been needing in the market place for a very long time.We need more creators that can create open sourcing for the community. This is the only way we can grow. Deployable custom Nft shop is the way to go!!!

Additionally, it sounds like you already have a large amount of the CMS work completed but would expand it to include the new features which makes me even more skeptical about the budget.

1 Like

100% this - the idea is good, but imo youā€™re asking way too much. is it going to take 4 devs 4 months to make an NPM package when a lot of the code already exists?

I think it might take 1 dev 3-4 months,12-15k would be a better budget

2 Likes

@0xgabe; whilst I appreciate this grant, and the work youā€™ve done in the past; Iā€™m going to have to agree with @dax and @mattimus above.

One must keep in mind that a lot of the moving parts mentioned here already exist, and are open-sourced and free to use on the Awesome Repository.

For example, one can already integrate a fully-functional NFT Wearable Shop into their scene, which can allow the owner of the show to display the items they wish to sell on their scene.

This repo was first published over a year ago. The foundation has more recently updated the code just last month, in the following open-source repository:

One may find additional code, related to this projectā€™s proposal, here:

Baseline code for an admin panel to impact the simple management of scenes, in-game, with a 2D UI.

NFT SwapOuts via JSON updates

The CMS can definitely be helpful to users, but Iā€™m not yet convinced it would require 6 months to develop, especially with the vast experience on the team. Maybe the real challenge identified here is working to actively demystify a lot of SDK-dependent features, however, I feel @dax was quite spot on here:

Iā€™m skeptical that this is a prudent use of DAO funds, especially given the recent development of the open-sourced code in the Awesome Repository. $60,000 is a lot of money, and without a proper budget breakdown, it is hard to justify the use of these funds, especially when most of the code-side headaches/heavylifting have already been solved, developed, deployed, and open-sourced.

4 Likes

Hello @Seanny

Thank you for your feedback, im more than happy to answer your questions, im sorry if i didnt previously,
but i think that some context needs to be explained.
A few days ago there was another grant proposal in which i engaged on a discussion with dax and mattimus questioning a
budget of 240k for a proposal.
Dax is even using the same words i did on their proposal on a sarcastic way. So given that the comments were only an attempt
of payback/revenge for questioning their budgeting, i didnt wanted to lose the focus of the proposal.
For example,
Whats the difference if the developers charge per hour or per month?
Whats the difference if the devs are equal pay or not? Maybe one is be paying more than the other and so what?

Now that i explained this, i will like to reply to your message which have 100% valid concerns and questions,

The code is interacting with a new smart contract which works differently than the one at awesome repository, we had use that code in
the past for amnesia and it was one of the primary motivators to be able to develop a tool for making that management easier.
Amnesia people needed to rely on a dev for any updates they wanted to do adding an overhead cost for them for each marketing activation
they wanted to do.

This new development will also be a ready plug & play solution which can be easily integrated to any existing project in the form of a package and
will allow any kind of NFT to be sold in it.

So we have to do the web3 interactions, the package, the backend and the CMS, which i estimated 4 months not 6 months.
I appreciate the examples that you shared and i will check them out to see if we can re use some of that too :slight_smile: