[DAO:sx52p6i] Exodus: Goodbye World Development

by 0x9381caa558f19a821a2360c59fdf3db60c09ff52 (JTV)

Should the following Tier 6: up to $240,000 USD, 6 months vesting (1 month cliff) grant in the Gaming category be approved?

Abstract

Exodus: Goodbye World is an ambitious Metaverse Role-Playing Game, intent on becoming an immersive Play-and-Earn experience. It is currently on a 7x7 estate located at coordinates 126, 44. Our goal is to create a fun and vibrant gaming community with a player-driven economy; by which, individuals can own items in the form of blockchain assets that they can buy/sell/trade as they please. Our experienced team of programmers, designers, and support personnel bring years of talent to enable us to meet this goal.

Grant size

240,000 USD

Beneficiary address

0x5117571b0BEc00372CE00870ad8E523C704a78b7

Email address

jtv@exodusgbw.io

Description

Decentraland (DCL) allows for an immense amount of personal creativity and freedom. DCL creates the opportunity to engage with others in novel ways in an expansive virtual space; be that by attending concerts and galleries or playing games. We seek to expand on the gaming options within DCL by building Exodus: Goodbye World!
We feel that having a large-scale, frequently updated game within the DCL platform will provide years of entertainment and financial value to the community. It will help drive increased user traffic into DCL and to the overall DCL gaming scene. Exodus aims to be massive, immersive, and create an engaging player experience. Initially set in a medieval era, players will be able to train their skills, gather a variety of resources, craft tools & equipment, and even earn NFTs through gameplay. As we approach and overcome the challenges of hosting a huge variety of items on-chain, we will eventually bridge in-game resources to public blockchain(s). This will help create a player driven Play-and-Earn economy where players can truly own the results of their hard in-game work. In developing Exodus, we have a heavy focus on educational outreach. We are providing opportunities for interns and community members who want to be part of our journey. Whether the focus is design or software development, our team environment is supportive of those who want to learn and contribute to the project.

Specification

Exodus has already started its Beta. Throughout the beta we will be creating and adding portions of the game on a regular schedule. Before launching the Beta we worked passionately on the front-end and back-end infrastructure to ensure the basic gaming mechanics were enabled. This included the Inventory interface, Banking functionality, Daily challenges, Leveling system, Beta Currency, and three gaming objectives – Woodchopping, Fishing, and Mining. We also created the scenery and over 100 assets for use in the game.

The Beta of Exodus went live on June 20th, 2022 at coordinates 126,44. In the 12 weeks since, we have created and enabled an in-game Merchandise interface, rolled out Woodchopping, Scavenger Hunting, Fishing, and now Mining. Future releases will involve other skills and activities, including Forging, Workshopping, and Hunting. During beta, we will be writing an in-depth storyline so that Questing activities can be included post-beta.

We plan to continue to release major updates on a monthly basis, as permitted, until the full game completion. We aim to deliver minor bug fixes, quality of life updates, and patches on a weekly to biweekly basis. Please view our video that walks you through the beginning stages of our game: Exodus is in an open beta and will continue to further stress test the game’s infrastructure and prepare for public release.

We use a variety of technologies for software development, design, server maintenance, and project organization. This includes, but is not limited to: AWS, Discord, Github, Blender, the Adobe Suite, and Visual Studio.

Personnel

Our team is a group of video game enthusiasts who have a complimentary variety of skill and experience. This includes experience in blockchain applications, back-end infrastructure, the DCL SDK, graphic design, and 3D design & animation. We have regular team meetings and constantly collaborate in order to bring the project to life.
Our team includes (@Twitter):

• JTV : Owner, Influencer, Streamer

• Lead Architect

• @MonsterDew24: Senior Back-End Engineer

• @Maserphaz: Lead Scene Designer

• @Dragar_eth Visual Effects & Scene Designer

• @Balorant420: Character Designer, Animator, and UI Artist

• Asset Artists (Both 2D and 3D assets)

o @BasthetRa

o @x1over

• 2 College Interns split between Front-End and Back-End Art & Design

• 1 Web Designer

• 1 Head of Marketing

• 1 Story Writer

• 1 Video Editor

• 1 Product Advisor

We continue to provide opportunities for interns and other community members who want to be part of our journey and would like to be able to utilize this grant to expand these efforts. Whether the focus is design or software development, our team environment is supportive of those who want to learn and contribute to the project.

Roadmap and milestones

Funding will be divided into:

• Engineering - $125,000: Paying developers and interns

• Design - $75,000: Paying artists

• Marketing - $25,000: Designing promotional videos & running ads

• Miscellaneous - $15,000: Music acquisition, story writing, and server upkeep.

These values are approximate and subject to change depending on need. The Exodus team will have a detailed monthly report posted on “Project Updates” upon grant approval.
Roadmap and milestones Current milestones & achievements:

• Woodchopping - released June 20th

• Merch Store - released June 27th

• Scavenger Hunting – released July 9th

• Fishing – released July 30th

• Mining - released September 3rd

Current roadmap:

• Cooking (end of September)

• Forging (end of October)

• Workshop (end of November)

• Hunting (end of December)

Please note, this is subject to delay, advancement, and change.
As well, we have consistent updates, progress, bug fixes, etc… across these socials.

https://twitter.com/JTV\_\_\_\_

https://twitter.com/ExodusGBW

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

1 Like

Exodus to the moon, Goodbye earth

Id like to see the people give you a shot. I know you have the following and what your building is indeed interesting and multifaceted. People will be awkward over the amount requested tho. I hate to say it but you may need politic to get this passed.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching JTV on streams for a quite a while (perhaps 10 months now) and can see that JTV has been dedicated to trying to bring more value to Decentraland and bring in more users.
The grant request amount here may seem like a lot to some, but in reality it barely is going to cover the salary of the team (if paid properly at industry rates). So, what’s the big fuss?
If you voted yes for grants for something like Wondermine (nothing against Wondermine) and then voted no for this then there’s something wrong going on there…
I know JTV is going to keep building and developing this game at a greater rate than some other game projects I’ve seen in the space, with or without grant money. I believe this grant will greatly benefit Exodus to make it even better though.
I will continue to vote yes on this. Maybe by the 69th time I have to vote yes on this then this might get passed?

2 Likes

i agree with @TheCryptoTengu either do a little politicking or ask for a reasonable amount and come back for more after the 6 months

1 Like

Agree with you 100 percent.

this is easy YES from me and will vote yes every time until it gets passed. Epic progress so far and can’t wait to see where it goes!

4 Likes

Wondermine got passed grants for this amount. What’s the big deal?
I have witnessed Exodus develop more in a few months than what Wondermine seems to have in a year.

2 Likes

@SinfulMeatStick the amount is reasonable, Wondermine got passed grants for this amount and with less team members, furthermore the progress the exodus team has made is impressive. :sunglasses:

Wondermine also played the politics right,

I’m not say the team does not deserve that amount, I’m just making a suggestion that could bring your team some funds and buy you some time. But what do i know :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I agree without a doubt that they have developed way more in a couple of months than Wondermines has in the last 10 months for that reason i refer you to Tengu’s comment “Politics”

2 Likes

There’s a special term I like to call that instead of politicking. But it’s rather vulgar so I’ll let you imagine what it is. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I do also agree that the amount is reasonable.
But it seems that the JTV/Exodus team might just need to break it down to multiple $120,000 grants just for the sake of getting around it easier (because of the lower VP required for the lower grant tier).
I do believe that asking for the full $240,000 at once is more proper and genuine but what are you gonna do… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This is a Rad project! I was thinking it would be cool to see a more intimate break down of the asked prices for Engineering, Design, Marketing, Miscellaneous.
As an artist, seeing the numbers reflecting the hourly rates or monthly wages is really cool to see and gives me a better picture at how in touch the Team Leader is with his/her/their team.
I’m voting Yes because I want to see the community friends of mine on the team get paid and stay motivated to keep building.
Also because I have watched JTV from time to time and have witnessed hime test the DCL market in ways I didn’t know were possible. I’m confident he can pull off something cool…

3 Likes

I only agree 69 percent.

1 Like

Yeah but JTV has also publicly trashed certain things that the Holy Ones were doing in world. The Holy Ones are making the necessary moves that is going to bring a lot of attention to DCL without grant money. Grants should be about making DCL better, upgrading DCL, not adding games to it. There is plenty of game developers with funding that will come to a platform that’s welcoming. Maybe instead create an initiative that welcomes experienced game developers that already have their own funding.

Does being political require trashing other NFT Projects (who are developing with no DCL funding) way to organically advertise?

@Billyteacoin do you think this is healthy for Decentraland?

Hi, Hope you are having a great day!
People give these types of opinions and statements all the time on twitter. He might not have the context of the amazing things you guys are doing. We support all Decentraland project, Lets not let this one thing be a barrier!