[DAO: QmWJd6w] The Uncensored Library in Decentraland

by 0xaca8fbbdddfce169114f344d8ee739bde665f4f4 (MetaArchs#f4f4)

Should the following Tier 4: up to $60,000 USD, 6 months vesting (1 month cliff) grant in the Community category be approved?

Abstract

This project will bring The Uncensored Library into Decentraland, which can potentially make waves in showcasing the social utility a Metaverse space such a Decentraland can bring to the market.

The Uncensored Library in DCL will serve as a beacon of hope for anyone who wants to advocate for freedom of the press and will encourage a sense of social support, which movements of this nature require to thrive.

Through a united effort between Reporters without Borders, DDB Berlin, Metaverse Architects, The Metaverse Group, Tokens.com, BlockWorks, and Media.Monks, this project will continue to support the freedom of the press by broadening its horizons and expanding its utility into Decentraland.

Grant size

60,000 USD

Beneficiary address

0x0b4F599237229f235aE10b1b7dE5b74165CBDbDe

Description

Introduction:

To combat censorship in countries with little or no freedom of the press, Reporters without Borders released The Uncensored Library in Minecraft, which took the gaming world by storm.

Contained within this library are articles and books containing crucial information and reliable journalism published by reporters who face imprisonment, exile, or death. The purpose of The Uncensored Library is to deliver information to the public, avoiding suppression by governmental systems.

Already a globally renowned project which empowered over 25 million people; the recreation of the Uncensored Libraryā€™ in Decentraland is being seen as the next logical step in the projectā€™s maturity. In making the Uncensored Library accessible in the metaverse, Reporters Without Borders will be able to actively lower the barriers to entry for censored citizens to access politically critical information, whilst further empowering censored journalists by widening their potential audience.

Information about the Project:

Since its creation, The Uncensored Library has reported a media reach of 2.7 Billion and has established itself as a grassroots movement that benefits citizens across the globe, all with a media budget of ā‚¬0.

Overall, The Uncensored Library has reached more than 25 million gamers from 165 different countries, many of them suffering from censorship (including all target countries). As of 2021, the project had amassed over 17 years of accumulative playing time from individual players who spent countless hours inside the library reading politically censored books and articles by independent investigative journalists.

Why should we build this in Decentraland?

As outlined in Decentralandā€™s Code of Ethics, DCL strives to be a safe space for internet users, where all operations and transactions in Decentraland are rooted in a standard conduct of honesty, integrity, and openness, with a rigid desire to respect the human rights and interests of all involved parties in the space.

The Uncensored Library is a project which aims to fight against centralized authoritarian entities which actively disregard the rights, freedoms, and opinions of their citizens. The work done by Reporters Without Borders in the fight for truth and transparency in countries riddled by corruption and inequalities is admirable, and Web 3.0 can offer such organizations with new solutions in the fight against human rights violations.

One of the founding principles and solutions brought by Web 3.0 is the effective fight against corrupt, untransparent centralized authorities, and bringing the ā€˜digital home of press freedomā€™ to Decentraland is a smart way of signaling to the world that the Metaverse is so much more than just a place for celebrities to host concerts or for brands to sell NFTs.

Press Mentions:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/13/tech/minecraft-uncensored-library-scli-intl/index.html

https://analyticsindiamag.com/beyond-gaming-how-techies-and-designers-are-using-minecraft-for-its-ubiquitousnessļæ¼/

Specification

To begin this project, Metaverse Architects began bringing all the different stakeholders required to make this project a reality together. After extensive meetings, a way forward was agreed regarding how to branch this project into Decentraland, whilst securing a property of its deployment, and a means to replicate the experience in DCL.

One key part of this project is to ensure there is no expense on an NGO such as Reporters Without Borders, however, this grant is not just a means of ensuring the whole project can kick-off, but also an opportunity for the community to highlight what we stand for, whilst promoting our grant schemes with the large amount of Press that will catch up on this project.

Metaverse Architects shall be leading the bulk of the development, where we shall repurpose BlockWorkā€™s Minecraft design for it to work in Decentraland. This would require an ideation phase, where the build must be tweaked to work in DCL.

You can find the current Minecraft design here:

Once the architecture is complete, another key part of the project, which would require some time to complete, is the migration of the entire digital collection of articles and books found in The Uncensored Library. Moreover, we would have to design a means to be able to access these articles and books in an easy-to-use and easy-to-read UI, which shall be another key part of the development.

Finally, the marketing stage of the project shall be coupled with deployment. This will be a crucial part of the project, as we want to ensure we bring as many eyes on Decentraland as possible with this build.

To do this, we will organize a launch event with Reporters Without Borders, which will have a multitude of different speakers on different topics, such as press freedom, cyber warfare, decentralization, and the overall impact of Web 3.0. This event will also bring a considerable amount of press awareness due to the partners involved. One key aspect of this event can also be the potential impact of DAOs on society, with the aim being to raise more awareness on the Decentraland DAO as a tech case study, highlighting how it decentralizes decision-making and empowers DCL users to fund projects and movements they believe in.

Personnel

This momentous undertaking is a collaborative effort between:

• Reporters without Borders
  • DDB Berlin
  • Metaverse Architects
  • Metaverse Group
  • Tokens.com
  • BlockWorks
  • Media.Monks

Each organization contributes crucial elements to the project.

More info:

Reporters without Borders promote and defend the freedom to be informed and to inform others throughout the world.

Doyle Dane Bernbach Berlin (DDB) is a leading advertising firm dedicated to supporting The Uncensored Libraryā€™s mission.

Metaverse Architects are an innovative design and event planning firm, specializing in 3D modeling and game development across multiple metaverses. Their in-house team will recreate The Uncensored Library in DCL.

The Metaverse Group are leaders in real estate acquisition, real estate development and property management. Backed by Tokens.com, they boast a robust portfolio of virtual real estate in every major block-chain based metaverse.

BlockWorks is an acclaimed design studio and consultancy firm. Their original design for The Uncensored Library Minecraft build will be replicated in DCL.

Media.Monks is a disruptive digital production company whose efforts will help drive public awareness of press censorship on behalf of The Uncensored Library.

Roadmap and milestones

The Uncensored Library will be a multi-stage development that will follow a 6 month timeline, broken into three key stages.

The first stage, encompassing a maximum of the first two months, shall be the ideation phase, which will include:

• The repurposing of designs from Minecraft into Decentraland,

• The planning of the space, and overall ideation of the library space,

• The active ideation phase for the utility behind the library, which will also include the potential ideation of the digital infrastructure required for building NFT-funding projects for censored journalists

The second stage is the development phase, which is projected to take a maximum of three months, and shall include:

• The development of the library, which shall include a fully-fledged Uncensored Library built for the Decentraland space,
  • The transferring of data and information from the Minecraft space into the Decentraland space,
  • The development of a seamless experience for citizens to access censored data in Decentraland, which will act as an empowering tool for citizens with limited access to rights.

The third stage of the project is the deployment phase, which is projected to take one month, and shall include:

• The marketing of the project on leading press sites,
  • The deployment of the property,
  • An event, with reporters without borders, for the library launch.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

2 Likes

Iā€™ll never forget the first time I walked into Uncensored Library in Minecraft.

Bringing this to DCL can take the internet by storm, and Web 3.0 can give a ton of solutions in combating censorship and financing journalists around the globe which are fighting the good fight. Supported.

1 Like

This is potentially huge, the centralization of the ecosystem where the first iteration of the Uncensored Library was built was always the weak spot. Bringing this kind of initiative to a decentralized project like Decentraland will bring attention from different audiences (Journalists, civil rights activists, and others) to the opportunities that virtual world interactions could offer.

The Uncensored Library in Decentraland

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 100% 4,660,191 VP (30 votes)
  • No 0% 0 VP (0 votes)

The Uncensored Library in Decentraland

This proposal has been ENACTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfe91c0c482e09600f2d1dbca10fd705bc6de60bc)

Vesting Contract Address: 0x24cA7f2854c0791C0Db4d731Fdc1aB9d7E1AdF56
View Transaction 1

View Transaction 2

Hi Uncensored Library Team! How are you doing?
Iā€™m Pablo from Decentralandā€™s Grant Support Squad :chipmunk:.

Congratulations on receiving a Grant to contribute to Decentraland! Our mission (Grant Support Squad) is to support grantees to update their progress and achieve their goals, and thus contribute to grow this great community that is Decentraland.

Here is some information that will be helpful for you:

• Your current status is ENACTED.
  • This article (Receiving Grants | Decentraland) might be helpful to you to find your vesting contract.
  • Itā€™s very important to share your progress with the community. Inside your grant proposal -in the Decentraland governance platform- you will find a Project Update Section to publish updates once a month for transparency purposes.
  • We invite you to join DAO Discord (DCL DAO) and to attend the Decentraland DAO monthly town hall (Decentraland DAO Town Hall | Decentraland Events) -on the 2nd Thursday of each month @ 4:30 pm EST / 9:30 pm UTC-, which is a great way to share updates.
    *We will also create a dedicated Discord channel for your grant, to easily stay in touch with the community.
  • Here you can find the Terms & conditions (Community Grants | Decentraland) of the grant program.
  • Our contact information:
  • Pablo Lewin : pablo.lewin@decentraland.org
  • Juan Cassinelli (Zino): juan.cassinelli@decentraland.org

We are excited to hear from you! Which channel (Discord, email, other) do you think would be the most efficient? Please let us know your address so we can reach out. Email would be important for us to keep in touch.

Have a good journey!

One of the goals of the Grant Support Squad is to guarantee the effectiveness of the Grants Program, signaling to the DAO if a vesting contract needs to be revoked.

In that sense, we started to pass the active grants through the sieve of the requirements written on the documents related to the Grant Program.

In this particular case, the grant has a super clear roadmap in the original proposal, but the project is behind schedule, and based on the conversation we had with the grantee in the last few days, it will hopefully launch in March 2023.

For that reason, our recommendation for the DAO Committee (@yemel @HPrivakos ) is to preemptively revoke this grant until they could show the deployment (February 2023).

1 Like

The vesting contract has been revoked preemptively because the project is delayed. The DAO Committee is willing to recreate the vesting contract when the project launches in February/March 2023.

2 Likes

FYI there are 2 other grants that were approved for this Seanny guy and they are dead. Money gone and no product.

1 Like

Yo @Existential14. Feel free to call me out directly/tag me when making statements like these. No harm done. Debate is necessary.

POI Hub:
POI Hub was refunded to the DAO in its entirety. Places made the idea obsolete.

MindEasy:
You can find MindEasy experience on MindEasy.dcl.eth. We are currently maintaining and upgrading it. It is far from dead, and simply getting an upgrade to SDK7 + Worlds. We couldnā€™t keep it adjacent to Genesis Plaza anymore.

Uncensored Library:
This project is paused, with more information on it set to come out from us + partners soon. Itā€™s been delayed significantly, and this is why we supported the pre-emptive revocation of the grant.

Regarding ā€˜money goneā€™ claims; Iā€™m not really sure what youā€™re on about there. Funds are still in the wallet for Uncensored Library (in USDT), and have harbored all the costs ourselves thus far, whereas for MindEasy, we managed to cut costs well enough post the 6-month mark, and still have capital at our disposal to spend in advancing the ideals of the project, which we have every intention to do.

However, to your point @Existential14, I feel we can do a lot more in communicating information back to GSS + Community from Metaverse Architectā€™s side. I chose to take a step back from DCL & the DAO for a while, in order to assess the community + platform from the ā€˜outsideā€™. However, whilst I took a step back, that doesnā€™t mean my colleagues havenā€™t been working on this project in-house, and when reflecting, I feel I could have done much more to showcase and celebrate their awesome work and dedication in this space.

@Zarbio and Andrew have been kicking ass when it comes to Uncensored Library and its developments, and the project itself is something weā€™re proud of; not just as a final product, but as a value-based construct that weā€™re ready to represent and defend if necessary.

I feel more can be done on my end in communicating back with the DAO, and Iā€™d personally like to see myself improve in that regard. Iā€™ll be reviewing this communication issue with my teammates early next week, and I hope by mid-week weā€™ll have a clearer internal plan on what our communication/updates towards the DAO can look like in the months ahead.

You did kind of force through your grant, so it isnā€™t a great look to ā€œpauseā€ it and not update the community until someone else calls you out.

1 Like

My apologies. I didnā€™t even think about doing a direct contract but will in the future.
Thank you for the information. It would be good for grantees or the squad to make sure there is a comment somewhere stating something in cases like this.
I donā€™t blame you for taking a break and sorry for dragging you back in.

Thank you for the response @Seanny
Honestly I kind of had the same sentiment looking at this proposal that I had not seen before.
I have asked questions in the Discord channel about the Mind Easy grant that have gone unanswered and it has been a while since you announced that it would be moved to a world without any other updates. I hope we can see more info about the status of these projects. Thank you. :pray:

1 Like

Hello Decentraland Community,

My name is Michael, and I am the new CEO of Metaverse Architects. Happy to announce that this project has been fully completed.

The Scope and Mission

The Academy of World Freedom serves as a sanctuary advocating for press freedom. It aims to create an environment where journalists can access resources, hold talks, and find community support. The build features an atrium designed for discussions and a poignant interactive sculpture memorializing journalists whoā€™ve lost their lives pursuing the truth.

Recent Changes and Delays

I owe you all an explanation for the delays weā€™ve experienced in finalizing the build. During our due diligence process, some concerns arose that necessitated a reevaluation of our partnerships and project scope. I want to extend my deepest apologies for this delay, and I appreciate your patience as weā€™ve worked through these challenges. I assure you, this time has been used to re-align and refine the project to meet the high standards we all share.

The Build, Redefined

The atrium space will still serve as an open forum for discussions and lectures, and the interactive sculpture will continue to honor journalists from around the globe. When you interact with this sculpture, cards representing these brave individuals will expand, allowing you to read about their invaluable contributions and sacrifices.

I welcome your thoughts, comments, and suggestions as we move forward with this revitalized project. Your input is invaluable in ensuring that we serve the community in the best way possible.

Thanks,

Michael

Hey Mike, a late reply to this. May i know the coordinates for this? Iā€™m keen to visit if itā€™s still in Decentraland.