[DAO:ff1a734] +10,000 add-ons repo for fashion creators

by 0x1b35f4d22b2c8bc706bcfcc383a1ca77fb4fc600 (punkpink)

Linked Pre-Proposal

Should we offer an add-on repo for fashion creators?

Summary

Repository of more than 10,000 add-ons that can be assembled with each other, to create wearables in an easy way to attract new creators without knowledge of 3D modeling.

Abstract

This repository would contain more than 10,000 add-ons that would automatically assemble with each other just by importing them, allowing new talented creators to produce high-quality and 100% functional wearables, without the need for knowledge of 3D modeling.

This will bring multiple benefits, it will attract new creators to Decentraland, it will facilitate the work of current creators, it will allow people with great talent but without 3D knowledge to start creating in the metaverse, it will increase the income of the DAO.

Motivation

The creators prefer other platforms over Decentraland.

The fact that the user base on Decentraland is not growing is because new users have no incentive to join or stay on the platform.

The most important point is that many of them would want to build, and would do it in Decentraland if it were easy, however building in the metaverse requires mostly knowledge of 3D modeling, something that is an insurmountable barrier to entry for someone who has never used software like Blender, possibly more than 99% of potential users.

The proof that reflects this is that there are thousands of 2D image NFT projects that do not require advanced knowledge of any software, the success of this is because creating a 2D NFT is easy, while creating a wearable in Decentraland is difficult.

Specification

In 30 days the DAO receives approximately $20,000 in fees for the new wearables, paying a third of it to the curators and leaving a profit of close to $13,000 each month. However, many users do not and never will publish wearables because they do not have enough knowledge in 3D modeling.

Creating an add-on repository would incentivize creators and new users to create new original designs with add-ons that could be plugged together, which will serve as an encouragement for those who don’t know how to model in 3D.

This repository would consist of two types of add-ons, type 1 (10,000 add-ons) and type 2 (1,250 add-ons), making a total of 11,250 add-ons. The type 1 will be add-ons that can be assembled automatically, so that the user will be able to easily create a wearable avoiding all the difficulties that a 3D modeler has in its initial stages, this will increase the incentive on the part of users without knowledge in 3D modeling to create wearables. Type 2 will be easily assembled add-ons but will require the modification of some of their vertices.

If there is acceptance by the community, a request for a $126,600 grant will be published to develop this project. For those who wish to learn more about this project, I recommend that you review this document: https://fastupload.io/xKmdZ6AtL4vz8vx/preview

Conclusion

Facilitating the creation of wearables with a system of add-ons that can be easily assembled together, we will be able to encourage new users to create in Decentraland, achieving the following benefits:

• Attract new creators.
  • Facilitate the creation of original wearables for users.
  • More income for the DAO through the curators fee.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

@web3nit, thank you for participating, it would be nice if you share your reason for abstaining from voting, knowing the reasons there will be the possibility of improving the proposal.

If there is acceptance by the community, a request for a $126,600 grant will be published to develop this project.

Hi, IMO it would be great if the sum could be lower.

So I have some concerns about this. There have been a few proposals like this that didn’t go over well for the same reasons.

1. Assuming “add-ons” means stock wearables then 11,250 is A LOT to create from one person or even a team. Even if you manage to create 100 a week (hard to do even for seasoned artists) then that’s 5,200 a year assuming no breaks. Which would mean it would take over 2 years to achieve the total. By then the wearable market will be completely different than it is today. Especially with VRMs in the talks for release early next year. VRM integration would nullify this whole initiative.

2. I think there is a fine line between a publisher vs a creator. A creator does not need these add-ons to create a wearable. Even without experience, there are tons of resources available to teach people how to make wearables. Publishers don’t need these add-ons either because they can just commission an artist in the space to do it for them. If they can stitch together add-ons together, they can create an original piece.

3. Providing 11,250 pieces will not provide “original” pieces. Because they are created by an entity that will not use them. They will be used by others. Making “original” art means that it’s unique to your style because it was made by you. It can’t be an original if it wasn’t made by you.

4. I don’t think it’s fair to assume that the lack of wearable submissions is due to the lack of knowledge of creating a wearable. I think it’s fair to assume that it’s low right now because MANA price isn’t super high and platform traffic is down (all public data). With the new Avatar 2.0 system being worked on, I don’t think it would be a great use of DAO funds to create a repository like this when it could be completely nullified in 7-8 months. Not even halfway into the project timeline.

5. There is already a repository with open-source materials/meshes that users can use. We saw a lot of the t-shirt upper-body’s being used last year during the bull run. Users would just slap their logo on it and publish it. While some did okay in sales, many did not because again, it’s not original when they all look the same. avatar-assets/assets at master · decentraland/avatar-assets · GitHub

6. This is a creator space. Creating another repository on top of that to exclude the need to be a creator will just dilute the need for creators in general. We might as well just pioneer the AI integrations to automatically generate 3D meshes with it. Would be cheaper than making an 11k repository. I think 99% of creators would be against that too. Because you’d be taking work away from creators. I also again don’t think this solves the issue for users to be able to create functional wearables without knowledge. Because they have to have the knowledge of importing, rigging, texturing, and exporting to even publish.

For those reasons, I have to vote no respectfully :pray:

1 Like

Hello @web3nit, of course I can present a proposal with a smaller budget, however as @NikkiFuego has commented creating so many meshes is a challenge and reducing the budget will also mean reducing the size of the repository, however this is not an inconvenience, we can adjust the amount of add-ons and budget as required by the community.

But, could you give me more details why the budget seems too high to you? Does it seem high in relation to the number of add-ons? Do you think that 10K add-ons are too many and do you think that both the budget and the complexity of the repository should be reduced? Could you tell me what budget vs number of add-ons would be reasonable for you?

Thank you!

Hello @NikkiFuego,

1 – Of course, creating such a quantity of meshes in a period of only 6 months is a challenge, for this reason the budget of the project amounts to $126,600, however, by serializing processes and creating an adequate production program, the objective can be perfectly achieved indicated.

The repository mentioned here can also be used for the creation of some VRM avatar parts, so this implementation does not override the repository, in fact the repository facilitates the implementation.

2 - This repository is intended to attract new creators without knowledge of 3D modeling.

To make a decent wearable without having modeled in 3D before, at least 1 month of full dedication and study is required, this repository aims to save this process for those who do not have the time to learn to model in 3D.

With a $150 cutator fee + $150 3D modeler fee, no one who is not a professional modeler can post a wearable. The reality is that in the marketplace we always publish the same ones, and this seems unfair to me.

3 – 11,250 are the add-ons that will allow the creation of wearables, which allow thousands of TRILLIONS of combinations so that they are going to be original wearables.

4 – The attached document explains why the traffic on the platform is low and how it can be resolved, on the other hand I do not think it is hopeful that traffic will increase due to a bullrun or that the price of MANA will increase, since that it would mean that people are here for speculation, not because Decentraland is a desirable place to participate.

5 - You say: “Users would just slap their logo on it and publish it.”

This repository would improve this, since anyone, despite not having knowledge in 3D modeling, could implement various distinctive elements to that t-shirt, making it unique. In fact, with this repository, it is most likely that the user would no longer consider making a t-shirt, but any anything else you can imagine.

You also say: “it’s not original when they all look the same”

In a previous point I have commented that this system for creating wearables allows thousands of trillions of combinations, it is extremely unlikely that 2 identical wearables will be created unless it is done intentionally.

6- “Creating another repository on top of that to exclude the need to be a creator will just dilute the need for creators in general.” & "I think 99% of creators would be against that too. Because you’d be taking work away from creators.”

This is not likely to happen because the current clients of 3D modelers who request wearables are not users who are going to use repositories or add-ons to create their wearables, they are usually Tommy Hilfiger-type companies, however there are many users who never are going to pay $150 for the design of a wearable, all these people could now start creating without taking away sales from the current creators.

On the other hand, doing something with AI would be cool, but there is still not enough technology to do this in a practical, simple or cheap way.

I have tried to respond as briefly as possible to each point, although the answer could be developed further, I prefer to do so as concerns arise from other users.

Thank you very much for giving such a complete opinion on this proposal Nikki, I appreciate it, I really have thought a lot about all this and frankly I think that a repository like this could be a very good opportunity for Decentraland to attract new talent.

I think you have done a great job with this proposal @PunkPink and you have taken the time to address all the questions asked. It does sound like you have done a lot of research but because of a specific mention of AI creating wearables, I am at a pause on my vote for now. There was a proposal not long ago to create some standard wearables (t–shirt, shoes, hoodies, etc) and then make it so people could use them with AI to design a wearable. It did not pass but I did have the chance to test what they were working on, on a small scale. I don’t know if you are familiar with Remx, but they had something similar and I tried that out as well.

As far as the budget, that come out to around $11/wearable-accessory. Considering the price a creator would charge to do a customized one, I guess that is rather reasonable. Also, sometimes, if you start smaller, people are more willing to give it a try. Mr Dhingia did a builds repository and actually cut is plans in half and it went through. Just a suggestion.
I just want to see some more input from other creators.

126k is a no go for me, esp if the end product isnt an app/dapp that new creators can use. A fraction, perhaps 5k, for a fraction of add ons that you quoted, would be acceptable as a starter. Then we’ll need to see if creators do use it, and then expand on it if it does.

Right now I don’t remember it, but there is also a project that allowed us to create wearables with AI, but the reality is that in this case this did not generate the topology, it only replaced the UV texture with an image generated with AI of a predesigned mesh, so that If it’s something similar to what I’m mentioning, I don’t think it would be viable, on the other hand, there are so many interesting projects that it’s not possible to keep up with all of them.

Of course, I will value the option of studying a proposal that allows for a pilot test, and later if it produces a remarkable result, proposing to expand the repository.

Thank you @3Point1Four, this suggestion is very useful for me, I waited until the end of the voting period for this draft to have a more general vision, I will think deeply about each comment that I have received about this and I will seriously value doing a pilot test with a budget more reduced.

1 Like

+10,000 add-ons repo for fashion creators

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 1% 9,653 VP (18 votes)
  • No 34% 1,157,186 VP (14 votes)
  • Abstain 65% 2,169,548 VP (37 votes)