[DAO:257d71d] Should we offer an add-on repo for fashion creators?

by 0x1b35f4d22b2c8bc706bcfcc383a1ca77fb4fc600 (punkpink)

In the last 30 days, the DAO has received $20,983 in fees for the new wearables, has paid $5,459 to curators, leaving a profit of $15,524. However, many users do not publish wearables and never will because they do not have sufficient knowledge in 3D modeling.

We could incentivize the creation of wearables by publishing an add-on repository to facilitate the creation of new original designs with plugins that can be attached to preset designs without having to design them again, something that will serve as an encouragement for those who do not know how to model in 3D.

Add-on examples:

Accessories such as sleeves, shoulder pads, collars, zippers, buttons, buckles, bows, flowers and other decorative elements with an average of 100 triangles each. These would be available to the community in GLB format and could be attached to wearables from the existing repository.

These 3 examples share the same upper body however the add-ons along with color variations allow a large number of combinations. (See image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s-dKBzJi\_9pPgOJ54-PBHFgbry3zVzCI/view?usp=sharing)

Inexperienced users should still learn to join the vertices and export the final result, but it would be much more accessible than designing new objects to complement the wearable, even if they seem capable they could modify the UV textures, although this could be omitted if we publish color variations for each add-on.

Benefits:

• Facilitate the creation of original wearables.
  • Attract new creators.
  • Increase the number of new wearables published.
  • Increase the income of the DAO.

If this proposal has a good level of acceptance, I will propose it for a grant that allows it to be developed. On the other hand, if you think it makes sense to do that but you disagree on some point or you have some contribution that can be implemented, we can discuss it together to achieve a better result.

Thank you so much.

• YES
  • NO
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

2 Likes

Thank you for proposal. What other add-ons will there be besides those mentioned in the example ?

Also, interesting to hear thoughts of Curation Committee members. :wave: What do you think Folks ? @Yannakis @Malloy @Sango

Add-on examples:

Accessories such as sleeves, shoulder pads, collars, zippers, buttons, buckles, bows, flowers and other decorative elements with an average of 100 triangles each.

1 Like

“Assemble” wearable, interesting!

2 Likes

Apart from the complements that I mentioned, you could have many others, not just traditional elements such as:

• Pocket squares, laces, bow ties, with different variations of knots.
  • Chains, which could be combined with other add-ons such as keyrings.
  • Elbow pads of different shapes (oval, heart-shaped, rhomboid…)
  • Tassels, of different lengths and designs.
  • Different soles for shoes.

I don’t want to monopolize all the commentary with an endless list, but we can definitely incorporate any accessory that can be used in clothing.

Unusual accessories would also be created, such as the mini-kangaroo that appears in the second example of the attached image and many others.

If the community shows interest in this proposal, I will propose a more precise list that details the variations of each add-on.

A very interesting thing is that not only could we attach add-ons to wearables, but also some add-ons would be attached to other add-ons.

For example: with 5 straps and 5 buckles we can make a total of 25 belt combinations, if these elements have 5 color variations each, there are 625 possible combinations.

One point I’d like to discuss with the community is whether to publish all color variations (making the repository overweight) or provide an easy solution so that the creator himself can implement a texture that modifies the color without needing to modify the mesh, I am in favor of the second option. (See example: add-on-chose-texture hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB)

It would also be interesting if during the development process the community could send proposals for certain add-ons to be created.

1 Like

Rectifications:

• Someone has told me that the pic that I have included in the poll is not displayed, I add here a new link with the example image: poll-image hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB

• The initial calculation of what the DAO receives for the submission fee is not accurate, since it is paid with MANA and it is a third of the total amount that curators receive.

Nice work @PunkPink I think you did a great job with this proposal. I am curious as to what the curations has to say about it as well as other creators. It sounds great to me if it truly would be beneficial to wearable creators. Who knows what other ways these items might be used. Incorporated into a build perhaps, or?

1 Like

I proposed this because it is something I would have liked very much to have at the beginning.

I am convinced that many users who have never published wearables would start to do so, since many of them are not willing to design the elements from scratch but are willing to assemble them if there is a repository with enough add-ons.

Obviously the user must be willing to learn at least the following things:

• Import the GLB (File > Import > GLB)

• Move and rotate the object (Move and Rotate Icons)

• Change from object mode to edition mode (Tab)

• Join the objects (Ctrl+J)

• Join vertices (M key)

As you can see, these are basic things that can be perfectly explained in a video like: “How to make your wearable in 1 minute”.

The repository can be extended in the future, obviously also in buildings and of course this would generate added value, but there is something I want to expose about this:

• A repository for buildings can only be of interest to LAND owners and creators already consolidated in DCL, therefore it would not attract new users.

• On the other hand there are no submission fee, so it would not generate an income for the DAO.

• When users wants to create in DCL and has never done 3D modeling or programming, they start by creating simpler things like wearables, at least that’s how it was in my case, that means that a repository of add-ons for wearables may have much more impact than one of add-ons for buildings since it breaks down a very important barrier and makes this users start creating here instead of opting for another activity.

Hi @PunkPink, thank you for your message on Twitter. I don’t respond to inquiries about my DAO votes in private messages because I feel the conversation should be open to the community. But I am happy to share my thoughts with you here.

I voted against this proposal because, while I agree that learning 3D modeling is a barrier to entry for some of us, I don’t believe this will solve the problem. I am also learning to make wearables and I find it best to learn from scratch, bite the bullet, and not build wearables from presets, as this approach will water down creativity and flood the market with more crap wearables.

A better strategy is for Decentraland foundation and DAO to take the lead at creating/sharing/curating educational content around 3D asset creation. I have been asking for it for a long time, but it has not been a priority. Today I am learning WebGL assets on a pre-recorded workshop in the Monaverse YouTube channel.

@AwedJob @SugarClub and others have been donating their time to teach those who want to learn.
It may be harder to publish wearables at first, but in the long run, we will build a foundation for better and more dedicated 3D modelers, and a better marketplace, full of original creations.

Finally, if a user cannot publish a wearable because they do not know 3D modeling, they can hire an experienced creator from within the community. We should encourage the hiring of talented creators instead of creating tools to prefabricate wearables.

Thank you for kindly asking for my opinion, see you in world.

Thanks CheddarQueso,

This proposal aims to make the creation of wearables accessible to all users, so restricting it to only a few is something that is analogous to this proposal that I obviously cannot share, since I strongly believe that facilitating participation in the platform is essential to achieve greater adoption.

To give a more orderly answer I am going to quote each part of your conclusion and give my answer below:

“…I find it best to learn from scratch, bite the bullet, and not build wearables from presets,”

This proposal does not prevent someone from learning to model, it only allows the creation of more elaborate wearables for those who do not know how to model in 3D, in turn giving them the possibility of improving their designs limited by their lack of knowledge or experience in this field.

“as this approach will water down creativity…”

I don’t think that’s the case, the more tools you have, the more you can extend your creativity, a fashion designer doesn’t need to learn how cotton is manufactured to make a good product, but they do need the finished materials to be able to sew/assemble them, the same way that add-ons would do.

“…and flood the market with more crap wearables.”

It is not possible at any way to flood the market with crap wearables because that is avoided due to the Curation Committee.

“a better strategy is for Decentraland foundation and DAO to take the lead at creating/sharing/curating educational content around 3D asset creation.”

This proposal can be complemented with documentation of this type, and expand it as the community decides.

“it may be harder to publish wearables at first, but in the long run, we will build a foundation for better and more dedicated 3D modelers, and a better marketplace, full of original creations.”

The objective of this project is to make Decentraland a more attractive place for new users by giving them the possibility to participate. I don’t like the idea of putting a fence around existing users preventing new potential talent from coming in.

“we should encourage the hiring of talented creators instead of creating tools to prefabricate wearables.”

Talented creators will continue to be hired by the big brands, if we want these talented creators to have more orders we must encourage more people to enter so that new brands decide to have a presence in the metaverse.

I am very grateful that you were able to answer my concern and that I had the opportunity to respond. Thank you!

1 Like

Should we offer an add-on repo for fashion creators?

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 98% 1,813,738 VP (58 votes)
  • No 1% 3,821 VP (3 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 1% 917 VP (2 votes)

Should we offer an add-on repo for fashion creators?

This proposal has been PASSED by a DAO Committee Member (0xbef99f5f55cf7cdb3a70998c57061b7e1386a9b0)

Hey @web3nit,

I actually proposed something like this ages ago as a byproduct of my experience curating to that point;

The difference being, our proposal was to cover the entire process A → B for the end user, they make their adjustments on a visual aide front end, hit submit and it would be away to the curarion committee for review etc.

People didn’t take to it and we had adept product developer’s onboard like Atlas Corp and a world class UX/UI designer who designs for Airline controls (complex stuff!). I would have taken care of the 3D technical pipeline requirements and content.

After our project was declined; another team with a working demo also proposed similar and they too had a strong team with technical product development background, they also wanted half the funds we did for execution, it was still rejected.

So far this seems like great ideas, I wouldnt vote yes unless there are clearly talented developers attached who have proof of execution on an application and/or innovation in this area.

Those are my two cents, still like the idea but folks havent been too receptive to it.

2 Likes