[DAO: bafkrei] Integration of Infrastructure for interoperable 3D wearables with Decentraland

by 0xfc4a1488ecce21489a965736e7c22b0844a9bde6 (JuliaInnovator#bde6)

Should the following Tier 6: up to $240,000 USD, 6 months vesting (1 month cliff) grant in the Content Creator category be approved?

Abstract

Gravity Layer is an infrastructure enabling a single, seamless, Internet-wide collection for digital self expression.

While Everyone is talking about interoperability, our project actually DO INTEROPERABILITY.

For the metaverse gamers we provide an opportunity to “upgrade” there NFTs to become wearable in any metaverse they wish.

For technical artists and game studios we provide a clients for creation of game ready assets.

For the metaverses we provide a library of wearables by our SDKs (unity and unreal engine).

For fashion brand we provide a platform for distributing their digital garments and increase the utility of NFTs without blurring the ownership, value and uniqueness of assets.

Grant size

240,000 USD

Beneficiary address

0xAc9e28e612309cc96AA8d13DDC4d4a99B4C65d38

Email address

yuliya.palamarch@gravitylayer.io

Description

Problem: Metaverse compatibility is often referred to as a development priority in the web 3 space, assuming that any in-game asset can be easily moved between platforms. Compatibility with digital fashion is the holy grail of this task. NFT technology promises interoperability, but all games/metaverses/apps have different avatars, graphic styles, and poly-counts for assets. There is no standard. So we also have multiple 3D files for each digital outfit. In order to support “interoperability” companies drop separate NFTs compatible with different metaverses. They are not linked. It is just creating a new copy of the design. None of them are compatible. They are not very useful for use outside of the platform on which they were created, and duplicating designs for portability to different worlds blurs the ownership, value and uniqueness of assets.

Solution:
We’ve built an infrastructure that allows a single EVM-compatible asset to be worn not only in the game marketplace it was bought in, but in all worlds, everywhere it goes it converts to the appearance of the platform it’s in. We tap into the backend of metaverse marketplaces to make these assets tradable in-game. On the contrary of our competitors, who drop separate NFTs compatible for the different virtual worlds, our infrastructure does not create a duplicate of NFTs. Each 1 NFT works as an access pass to the compatible version of 3D asset for multiple metaverses/games/VR/AR/Zoom filters etc.

Decentraland have been the first who started to support linked wearable, but our project serves to extend this capability to many other worlds and provide single window for the users/brands/metaverses.

Specification

We have described our tech in the following article: Gravity Layer - Medium

Our demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNAj7YMWpSo\&t=1s
Our website: https://gravitylayer.io
Github: Gravity-Studio-Digital-Wear · GitHub
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gravitylayer/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/GravitySkins
Discord: ✨ GRAVITY LAYER ✨
Linkedin: Gravity Layer | LinkedIn

Personnel

Our team for now consist of 10 full time team members and 2 ongoing freelancers.
Our CEO and co-founder background is in ad agencies, her master’s research was in 3D fashion and digital identity. Our co-founder and CPO previously founded a B2B blockchain startup and has won 22 hackathons. Our COO managed David Beckham’s esports academy and was nominated 2017’s esports Woman of the Year. Our CTO is a PhD game developer with a background in AI startups.

Most of the team members are here (except new comers) :
https://gravitylayer.io/team

Roadmap and milestones

1. Add support decentraland blockchain to the integration API (weeks 1)
  2. Create upgrade platform (weeks 2)
  3. Develop and connect ERC1155 contract for mint NFT (weeks 1)
  4. Realize the possibility of selling NFT through third-party marketplaces (smart contract + add to API and SDK) (weeks 2.5)
  5. Create a personal fashion designer/brand account for mint NFT (weeks 1.5)
  6. Implement NFT sales analytics for fashion designer account (weeks 1)
  7. Whitelabel for primary NFT sales (shop) for fashion designers (weeks 1.5)

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

1 Like

Hello

Welcome to Decentraland! My name is Sinful, I am a community Twitch streamer, Show Host, and Community Builder. I notice the wallet you summited this proposal on is empty and Nameless. So I am assuming you are new to the space. I would personally like to welcome you and the team to speak at the Decentraland Community Building Twitter Space @Canessa and I host every Wednesday @ 12pm EST/ 9am PST , would be a good opportunity to introduce yourself to the Decentraland community(voters) as well as receive some feedback on your proposal. if you would like to confirm your attendance with me please send me a DM on Twitter : https://twitter.com/SinfulMeatStick

Link to Event Page: Decentraland Community Building with Sinful & Canessa | Decentraland Events

We host the space on Twitter and broadcast to both Twitch and Decentraland. Looking forward to hearing from you.

2 Likes

Hey Gravity Layer,
This is a really interesting concept. Not 100% sure how this platform works, I’ve looked through your website and read your proposal. Can I confirm, you have a gallery of pre-made assets and users can bridge their design by selecting digital templates similar to their design?

Will this be a free service for users of Decentraland or will we need to pay a fee to have things bridged?

I find it definitely an interesting concept but can’t really understand how this can be executed!
Look forward to your response ~

1 Like

Hi @michi ! Thank you for the questions. Here is the answers.

Q: Can I confirm, you have a gallery of pre-made assets and users can bridge their design by selecting digital templates similar to their design?
A: Not really like this. The workflow for the end user (metaverse gamer) will be following:

1. Owner of the digital fashion NFT could go to Gravity Layer portal
  2. Connect wallet
  3. Choose in which metaverse he want to wear this digital fashion design.
  4. Pay for the “upgrade” (and wait some time while technical artist will create game ready wearables for the bought metaverses)
  5. Go to the metaverse and see the item in the inventory as usually.
  6. Once NFT have been “upgraded”, upgrade remains forever and goes to a new owner after sell.

Q: Will this be a free service for users of Decentraland or will we need to pay a fee to have things bridged?
A: Some of the “upgrades” could be bought by fashion brand to extend the utility for their community, some could be funded by metavese owners if they want to attract owners of a specific collection. Or metaverse gamer could buy it by himself for his NFT.

Q: I find it definitely an interesting concept but can’t really understand how this can be executed!
A: I happy to answer on any additional question, you or community have.

1 Like

thanks for the response to the questions! based on these answers, i don’t really understand why you need 240k - what is that money going to if your product is paid for by users? is there a free component that would give some value to the community for such a large investment by the DAO?

In any case would be nice to see a budget breakdown.

3 Likes

It is a good point about the payments, thank you @dax !

I think we could do upgrades for the first Decentraland users for 1$ (so it will be a discount) until we spend 240k labour costs.

All money will go to development of the product. It requires all our team members to dedicate a full time to the project. So the price is based on labor costs.

This is the budget breakdown:

1. Add support decentraland blockchain to the integration API (weeks 1) $23,318.7
  2. Create upgrade platform (weeks 2) $28,627.95
  3. Develop and connect ERC1155 contract for mint NFT (weeks 1) $23,318.72
  4. Realize the possibility of selling NFT through third-party marketplaces (smart contract + add to API and SDK) (weeks 2.5) $72,891.58
  5. Create a personal fashion designer/brand account for mint NFT (weeks 1.5) $51,572.25
  6. Implement NFT sales analytics for fashion designer account (weeks 1) $30,106.90
  7. Whitelabel for primary NFT sales (shop) for fashion designers (weeks 1.5) $45,225.88

Costs 9.5 weeks $275,062.00

1 Like

so you’re aiming to spend the full budget and then some in 10 weeks?

that’s…astounding. :sweat_smile:

Can I ask where you’re getting your numbers from? How many people are on the team? Why does it cost 70k to “Realize the possibility of selling NFT through third-party marketplaces”?

3 Likes

@dax

10 full time team members and 3 ongoing freelancers:

1. Product: 1 UX/UI designer, 2 Game Developers, 2 Fullstack+Blockchain developers, 1 technical artist, 1 digital fashion designer, 1 Product manager, 1 Devops
  2. Sales & Marketing: 3
  3. Business Operations: 1

Company based in London, UK

“Realize the possibility of selling NFT through third-party marketplaces” - this is functionality to write the sale smart contract with possibility to add any marketplaces fee + adding this smart contract to integration API and SDKs.
So it requires 2 days analytics, 1 day architecture, 5 days for blockchain/fulstack development, 4 days for game developers (to add it into SDK), 3 days testing, 1 day devops, 0.5 day for documentation, 2 days of manager

1 Like

Hi @julia_innovator ! That’s a really amazing idea! :heart_eyes:
Is it correct that you already have a platform and need to add DCL blockchain support to your SDK? I wonder if it’s feasible so soon because IMHO different metaverses support different blockchains and create wearables by minting their own NFTs. Tell me please more about your idea
Do you have a working prototype with any metaverse?

Hey, @MakunaPotata !

We have some parts of the software (infrastructure on polygon for wearables). We have SDK for unreal engine and Unity Ready. But we need to add decentraland. That what we want to change in the terms of interoperability. We want to add more metaverses and more chains. For now most metaverses work or support polygon.

We have working prototype with TCG world, the round. Now we are in the intagration stages with Somnium space and OVER.

In parallel we are working on Metaverse Standard Forum (see us next to the google Members - Metaverse Standards Forum) on defining the standards for 3D objects between open metaverses.

So, hopefully, the decentraland will be interoperable :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Sounds really awesome :slightly_smiling_face:
Does it mean that if you add Decentraland in your SDK you can do “upgrade” for any NFT already minted on Polygon by DCL?
Or it will work only for NFT, that will be minted after you provide this integration, because this NFT don’t have some metadata?
Sorry, if the question is silly, but it’s a bit difficult to understand.

1 Like

@MakunaPotata We could “upgrade” any NFT minted on Polygon, even for those witch has been minted before the integration.

1 Like

Integration of Infrastructure for interoperable 3D wearables with Decentraland

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 2% 30,859 VP (15 votes)
  • No 98% 1,360,077 VP (13 votes)