[DAO:b3939ea] Add the option to upload profile pictures (PFP) to Decentraland Names

by 0x0636211443e91468ee3657e1d7faede7059c4843 (Brewery)

Linked Draft Proposal

Add the option to upload profile pictures (PFP) to Decentraland Names

Summary

Add customizable PFPs and attach social detail to Decentraland Names.

Abstract

Personalisation of Decentraland Names is key - right now it can be hard for a Name to stand out with every NFT displaying the same generic background.

Motivation

Currently, on the Decentraland Marketplace, Names appear on a grey background in white font with no option of customisation - allowing custom PFP’s adds an additional layer of uniqueness to every Name. This simple yet effective option will help highlight and distinguish one Name from another whilst adding further utility and awareness.

Specification

ENS allows users to add many social links to individual domains, Decentraland should be no different. Linking social details to specific Names will help users get in contact when collaborating/negotiating.

Users could personalise their Names so they are easier to recognise or to display their hobbies/passions. Companies, businesses and brands would be able to display logos/slogans etc to their corresponding Name. Additionally, this could make it easier to differentiate specific names when browsing Names for sale.

Impacts

This proposal would collectively benefit every current & future owner of Decentraland Names with the additional utility of personalisation. Also, this will help Names stand out when viewing on the Decentraland Marketplace and other Marketplaces like Opensea.

Implementation Pathways

Decentraland Names leverages ENS as subdomains of parent domain, dcl.eth. ENS have these features by default, with the option to upload a custom Avatar and more (PFP) to your ENS NFT’s.

Conclusion

Decentraland Names will no longer be dull and grey - The future is bright!

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Voted YES, it’s a small change that would benefit the community a lot!

2 Likes

The implementation path seems to be lacking, it just says that ENS have that feature, but nothing more.
The implementation pathway need to be a concrete plan on how the DAO Committee can enact this proposal.
Proposals cannot be feature request, they are for enacting things on the blockchain.
You can just change the domain resolver yourself on your name/subdomain then add an avatar, I don’t understand the need of this proposal?

@HPrivakos Hey bud, forgive me as I’m a bit hungover from last night BUT

I keep hearing about this mysterious feature request option in RE to governance props. Would you kindly advise what the proper pathway to a feature request is so that the community can educate ourselves?

I know it might be confusing to some where the line is drawn, and I’m asking you as SAB/DAO/Foundation to guide us. I know that the dao and foundation allegedly have nothing to do with each other but I’ve also seen/heard you are both… So whichever personality/identity I need to ask I’m asking that version of you. HP being DAO/SAB and Killian being foundation. Please advise. How do we make an official feature request? I feel like this answer will prevent the community from making governance polls in the future that are really just feature requests. Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

How are all the previous feature updates were pushes before? What is currently in place for these feature updates questions, concerns to be raised and heard by the community, isn’t DAO the best place unless I’m missing something here?

1 Like

Thinking for all feature updates, after the initial Dao poll proposal stage which will give us indications as to whether the community is for it or against it, perhaps these don’t need to go to stage 2 & stage 3. More simplified way maybe a roadmap addition could be better.

1 Like

"You can just change the domain resolver yourself on your name/subdomain then add an avatar, I don’t understand the need of this proposal?

How do we exactly do this. Through ENSdomains APP or DCL Builder ?

Please tell us more.

1 Like

There is currently no option to suggest/request a feature upgrade - this is the best way to escalate this request further.

To your point of necessity - there is no way to customize a Name’s background displayed on the Decentraland Marketplace, which makes every “Unique” Name, on first glance, look the same. IMO, this feature is a no brainer and could benefit EVERYONE who owns a Decentraland Name.

It appears this proposal can no longer be voted on nor can you view prior votes.

1 Like

The DCL marketplace doesn’t support that field though, so it won’t render the image, Opensea get its image from the Marketplace API so it won’t show it either.

I will inform the team that there is interest for it, but a proposal doesn’t obligate the Foundation to implement a feature. (It’s a feature request after all)

1 Like

The whole point is to make it easy & simple for everyone to be able to upload, social links PFP’s etc. How many OG users are currently able to do those steps let alone the new users.

Please do inform the team regarding this because I truly believe it’s an important feature and the one that will grab the attention of the wider Web3 NFT community.

1 Like

You can click into the comments and head to the forum, and then scroll down the proposal at the bottom before the comments, you’ll find a link to the snapshot page below the DAO page and you can vote there.

1 Like

Well how would the newbies figure that out. We need a solid solution for feature updates.

1 Like

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 100% 804,901 VP (30 votes)
  • No 0% 0 VP (0 votes)

Once again, there is no proper way for feature requests unless I’m missing something here. From the beginning DAO has been the place to go to for all updates, proposals, even for feature updates. So what has changed now?

I have tried your method *

Go to https://app.ens.domains/

And I can honestly say it does not work. Why are you misleading people?

How will an average user do all of this? Even if it worked. Also why was this proposal paused or grayed out?

Still many questions & no answers. Sad but true.

1 Like

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 100% 804,901 VP (30 votes)
  • No 0% 0 VP (0 votes)

I still don’t understand how it’s rejected when bid majority was towards YES. 1.6M Yes votes to 128K No votes where poll proposals only require 500K votes but somehow this was moved to Governance section?

Questions, questions…

2 Likes

Governance proposal, which this is, requires 6M VP vote yes, this is why this has been rejected.
The draft can be found here: Add the option to upload profile pictures (PFP) to Decentraland Names

This was a feature request. You said it yourself. Since when the feature request are 6M Governance Proposals?

1 Like

Users were unable to cast a vote on this proposal, through governance.decentraland.org, after a few hours from when I submitted it. It appeared as if it was taken down.

2 Likes

This is true. I’ve noticed this straight after voting on this proposal. Possibly could have reached 6M yes votes if it wasn’t tempered with.

1 Like

I don’t remember the governance website being done for an extended period of time around that date, the website was migrated on Oct 10 but it was only down for a couple hours.
We can always restart the vote.

1 Like