[DAO:w3mhfgi] Add the option to upload profile pictures (PFP) to Decentraland Names

by 0x0636211443e91468ee3657e1d7faede7059c4843 (GentIeman)

Linked Pre-Proposal

Should we have the option to upload profile pictures (PFP) and social contact details to Decentraland Names ?

Summary

Add customizable PFPs and attach social detail to Decentraland Names.

Abstract

Personalisation of Decentraland Names is key - right now it can be hard for a Name to stand out with every NFT displaying the same background.

Motivation

Currently, on the Decentraland Marketplace, Names appear on a grey background in white font with no option of customisation - allowing custom PFP’s adds an additional layer of uniqueness to every Name. This simple yet effective option will help highlight and distinguish one Name from another whilst adding further utility and awareness.

Specification

ENS allows users to add many social links to individual domains, Decentraland should be no different. Linking social details to specific Names will help users get in contact when collaborating/negotiating.

Users could personalise their Names so they are easier to recognise or to display their hobbies/passions. Companies, businesses and brands would be able to display logos/slogans etc to their corresponding Name. Additionally, this could make it easier to differentiate specific names when browsing Names for sale.

Conclusion

Decentraland Names will no longer be dull and grey - The future is bright!

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

I agree we should have options to upload our own personal profile pictures along with the option to appear as player does on the platform.

When it comes to descriptions and social links there are options as you can see in the photo with the JTV background.

If you look at the @mrfourbet profile you can see what it looks like for other users. I circled description and their twitter social. Brands are able to supply their own logos and contact info along with a background banner.

If you’d like to view where you can edit this information here is a link. Decentraland - Marketplace

I do believe it could be made easier. Just not exactly sure how to go about it for a better user experience.

2 Likes

Linking social details to specific Names will help users get in contact when collaborating/negotiating.
Less friction = smoother transactions = healthy economy

Companies, businesses and brands would be able to display logos/slogans etc to their corresponding Name. Minting a name is a vital part of claiming an online identity. The ability to customize it with a PFP makes sense and and will further encourage new users, brands and projects to see the value of minting names.

Voted yes.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback JTV!

In regards to the social details you mentioned - these are specific to your general Decentraland profile whilst very useful, they are not for the underlaying NFT itself. ENS has this feature, under text records on their website where you can link an email, URL, description, notice, keywords, Twttter and Github. So for example, in the case where a user may want alternative contact details for a specific Name this would not be currently possible.

I am unfamiliar with the technical aspects necessary to make this possible, but feel this is a logical addition to Decentraland Names.

Very good to see progress on this proposal. We should have all the perks & features ENSdomains have and much more but this is a great start. Voted Yes.

1 Like

This vote was an easy yes for me. Recently our community discussed faulty NFT frames in user builds that do not allow your own parcel to load, and there is no way to contact the owner of the scene in which the faulty frame was deployed in. This is catastrophic to businesses who expect to be able to load their scene seamlessly in Decentraland, and this has happened on at least two occasions in different parcels.

Additionally, I wish we had a way to contact land owners so we could discuss making offers on land, coordinating special events, or to just learn more about a project. Better communication will only enhance Decentraland.

Having a PFP available will allow Decentraland (A web3 platform) to keep up with other Web2 platforms which already support our ability to flex a PFP. It seems this is a no-brainer.

1 Like

Proposals are for things that can be enacted on, not for features request.
I don’t see a concrete implementation path in that proposal, how do you plan this to be done and enacted on?

1 Like

This is a good point, with no team to work on this specifically, the path to take would have to be found when there are other paths already discovered that need to be explored.

Who setup the original ENS subdomains that we use?

Add the option to upload profile pictures (PFP) to Decentraland Names

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 72% 2,947,562 VP (61 votes)
  • No 28% 1,156,852 VP (3 votes)

Excellent points HP. If technically possible builder is the perfect place to implement this feature.