[DAO:834bbab] Duel Arena P2E Continuum, Refinement & Game Expansion [ Resubmission ]

Latest comments = @everyone on discord :wink:

1 Like

Those are people from our duel arena community whom all attended at the DAO discord Townhall meeting.

We do not only onboard to DCL but to the dao too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I havenā€™t been very active in DCL lately in general for personal reasons, but I competed in the Duel Arena tournament recently and I honestly had a great time. The skill farming was relatively smooth on the land, overall. I believe I speak for most competitors that the organization was good and communicative throughout the process. PS: Unfortunately, I didnā€™t even qualify for 5th place :stuck_out_tongue:

I must also admit that I completely underestimated the game. I honestly thought it would be a breeze, but it has mechanics and mind games that heavily rely on the playerā€™s ability to plan and anticipate moves. I clearly encountered players who are far more experienced and prepared than I was. I like to compare building skills in Duel Arena to building a small Yu-Gi-Oh deck, in a way.

6 Likes

Hello!
I have been a DCL player since October 2022. Duel Arena is in the TOP 5 of my favorite projects in DCL at the moment, and I believe that
it can become very successful and attract a large number of players in the future. I like this project and the fact that battles between players
It really forces you to think through tactics and select skills, which adds complexity and spice, and brings a lot of emotions. And what is the result
battles between players are the result of decisions and steps taken, and not just pressing one of the buttons on the mouse.
Iā€™ve been playing Duel Arena since January 2024 and even in these past 4 months I have seen a large number of changes, fixes and improvements that
shows the development of the project and the work of its creators. Itā€™s also nice that the team listens to the playersā€™ opinions.
Since the start of the game in DCL, I have noticed that the online number of players has been decreasing and I hope that Duel Arena will not lose support and will help everyone
the DCL metaverse to become more interesting and popular.

5 Likes

Hey there, just want to show my support to the project but iā€™m going to tell my backstory real quick, so I was introduced to the web3 by a friend of mine in 2020 specifically about Decentraland. i had seen the potential growth of Decentraland just like others but shortly the hype ended, most developers were bad at making a good game like in bulky kind of styles, lazy to add exciting contents to keep engaging the existing players, lack of competition and find it difficulty to get started, many people lost interested in web3 and continued their real life including me. But one occasion, just a couple days after the Christmas, this little project has caught my eyes mid day for incredible it was. I was shocked about this particular scene which fairly easy to get to know unlike any others project Iā€™ve played. I would spend countless hours and sweat into this game to get the best setup, grinding for tickets called essences to exchange for prize and even made myself to the top leaderboard like a rocket and it was hella fun and really rewarding to claim a single limited wearable not to mention many wearables which were later added into the game. Sadly, I was late to claim the first ever wearables and I wish I could have known this sooner. After only a month passed, monthly leaderboard with compensations were introduced. I couldnā€™t resist my urge to be in the 1st place but due to my personal matters and many players it had, I only made it to the 5th place.

Iā€™ve watched this growing, I can say many things has indeed changed a lot in the past few month. The team actively listens to the community and keeps improving what we needs. They have brought so much joy to the game and could attract many newbies. As a user with reasonably experience over web3, this could boost development and widespread Decentraland even further.

6 Likes

Games need support and users need income. The reason why DCL did not grow during this time is that the style of the games was a bit simple and this server was almost the only server where we could have a face-to-face fight. Please help the community. It needs good games

4 Likes

yess yess i completey agree with you

3 Likes

Itā€™s fun to play. I canā€™t understand the reason for stopping the project. As far as Iā€™m familiar with DCL, itā€™s better instead of stopping this project, try to support the projects to enter DCL.

5 Likes

Short and sweet, I grinded Duel Arena for a bit and I enjoyed it to say the least. The game is fun and it keeps the mind busy. I do not feel it is rigged like a different game I wasted my valuable past in in DCL and that is a big plus. I like the wearables, the game itself, the admins/creator are respectful, helpful and genuinely seem like they care about their game and the community which is a MAJOR plus. Discord is always active it seems and when they get the chance to answer any questions they reply as soon as they can. Not to mention it seems they are always doing tournaments/competitions and that is just awesome to me. Keep up the good work and I hope all goes well with everyone and the game/grant!

5 Likes

Nais, Nais, Nais. From what you said, in case you play CSGO youā€™re being paid by Valve? Is that true, mr. Income?

Maybe you can say more about the frozen rewards and the discord announcement tied with this thread here?

2 Likes

At the end of summer it will be a year since I played Decentraland. I played a bit of Duel Arena and liked it, especially when in the beginning could get free wearables pretty quickly and easily, play against a bot first, and later added the ability to play against other players. Over time, there were more players, which made it worse for me to play. On the one hand, as in any game, there were enough players who played better or spent a lot of time in the game, thereby increasing the difficulty of the game, which is normal. On the other hand, even with a relatively small number of players nearby, the longer the session lasts, the more Decentraland freezes and lags, sometimes teleporting the avatar to the corner of the scene. When actively playing, I often have to refresh the browser page or restart the desktop client, which is very annoying when something happens during the duel arena or any other game in Decentraland. Recently, a ā€œrave modeā€ or ā€œparty modeā€ has appeared, which makes gaming impossible, when all the textures of the game flicker chaotically before eyes along with the avatar. I believe and see that the Decetraland team is trying to fix all the problems, well, at least now it loads faster and me donā€™t have to wait 1-3 hours like last year just to load.

It is also worth paying special attention to how to make it easier for new players to get acquainted with Decentraland and immediately create wallets for them so that they can play fully and safely. Now it doesnā€™t look very good, not only is Decentraland a metaverse that is demanding on the computer and the Internet, but there may also be no one nearby who can tell them what and how to do in order to start playing the game that they saw in an advertisement or somewhere else on the Internet . The ambassadors of Decentraland, streamers and creators who are sometimes located in Genesis Plaza are clearly not coping. I see that some new players even refuse rewards in events, for various reasons due to the lack of a wallet or not wanting to create one. Additionally, one should not forget that one should not stand still and more diversity is needed, a real person is not a robot, also about the situation in the world and cryptocurrencies in general.

Considering all this, the only unfulfilled requirement is 2000 players per year and depriving them of a grant because of this looks stupid on the part of the DAO, which further scares off the creators and subsequently the players.

4 Likes

Wauw thank you Vitalik for your valuable insight!
I do share the same beliefs, but I do have hope in decentraland I will try my best to share this review with the foundation too to see if they can finally start working on something better :pray:t2::clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

Hi, I am also a DCL user and player. I really enjoy Duel Arena. Please keep this game in DCL and allow it to go on and develop enhancements. I support the Duel Arena team.

5 Likes

Hi Community,

Our team, the Revocation Committee received a request from the Grant Support Squad to discuss this case and make a decision in regards to the following proposal

Duel Arena P2E Continuum, Refinement & Game Expansion [Resubmission]

As a result of discussion and the final vote, we suggest that this grant should be REVOKED. @HPrivakos @Tobik @rizk

Voting Members:

@dax, @maryana, @bay

Revocation Committee snapshot vote result:

https://snapshot.org/#/revocationscommittee.eth/proposal/0x9a2c6ab1851a6eca3132a6c1368718b1dad8ae64e3a9d2091765f6e4c9118de0

Reasoning for revocation:

The points made by the GSS are as follows:

1. Metrics and Target Audience
  2. Allocation of Funds

1. Development & Design

1. A total of 69.700 USD was spent on development and design, but this seems too expensive compared to the quality produced.

2. Marketing

1. This second grant focused on upgrading graphic design and development and a tournament as a marketing strategy, which failed to achieve its target audience goals

We reviewed Points 1 and 2b below:

Metrics and Target Audience

The project states a performance metric goal of 2,000 users over the four-month duration of the grant. Along with the GSS forum post, we reviewed the user metrics from the following data sources:

1. Duel Arena Notion Page: Impact Metrics
  2. DCL Metrics: Duel Arena
  3. Atlas Analytics Query (Gitbhub)
  4. Server Data provided from the Grantee directly

As of the vesting contract pause of 4/30/2024, there were 666 unique users, pulled from Atlas Analytics Query ranging from January 25 (ending of proposal vote) to April 30 (last date of Month 3). Per GSS, there was 529 users in the last 3 months. However, we will accept the greater amount of 666.

External Image

For the year 2024 up until the review of this case (1/1 to 6/10), there were a total number of 1358 users, of those, 306 users visited the land twice.

Source: Atlas Analytics - See Github for Query Instructions

Per the Grants Program documentation relating to grant categories and requirements, performance metrics are based on the following:

• Newly populated land, Active Users, Returning Users, Time on Scene and
  • Events created and number of attendees to the event.

Allocation of Funds: Marketing

Although the project has been working on growing its users through events and tournaments, there are concerns that the tournaments and collaboration events alone will have difficulty achieving the desired metric target and beyond. As stated by both the grantee and GSS, this grant is solely a development grant, with no specific funds allocated for marketing outside of the Event Hosting & Organizing budget of $15,000. The grantee received marketing funds from the previous proposal of $16,500. Per discussion with the grantee, ā€œwe did the marketing with the funds that were allocated from the last grant, when the RC gave the decision to still continue with the project and gave the 16,500 DAI in the end for the marketing. We also never actually mentioned anything about marketing in our proposalā€.

Note: The scene points users to the projectā€™s Discord server and X account for primary news related to the development of the game. However, the Duel Arena website listed under the X account was noted to not be operating, which may impact users seeking information related to the project.

External Image

Although Development & Design is a subjective review, we did note that the Instructions UI within the game was difficult to read and recommended review of the used font. This point did not affect the decision for the revocation.

External Image

The following concerns were noted by the Revocations Committee during our review:

1. Lack of security of the back-end server

During our review, the team was brought upon security concerns regarding the back-end server handling the database for inventory resources, leaderboard stats, and player data. A user was able to manually update the resources in the server to provide unlimited resources to their in-world inventory, allowing to bypass the collection of resources in-game and claim wearables, posing a risk to wearable farming via botting.

External Image

Reasoning against Revocation

This is a long-running case with strong community sentiment both for and against revocation. One member of the RC expressed concern that:

• Although there seem to be serious issues with the game and the development process, under the remit of what the RC is set up to do, they do not see clear evidence for revocation.
  • The project was approved by the community without clear KPIs or metrics on which it should be reviewed.
  • The fact that this project is continuously approved by the community highlights issues within the DAO voting and money allocation process, rather than being specifically about this project or its team.

They stated that as the RC can only go by metrics, rather than be the arbiters of subjective issues like taste, the case for revocation is not clear.

They also wished to express concern about the amount of public shaming this project has received. The team has consistently been communicative and transparent with their data. They have delivered on all requests made by the DAO.

Further recommendations:

We would like to ask that the DAO Committee (@HPrivakos, @Tobik, @rizk) perform a one-time payment for $1,500 USD, to be used for the payout of the April Tournament winners. Based on our discussions with the grantee and GSS, this was not yet paid.

For the future, we recommend that Duel Arena review their KPI metrics related to user acquisition, UI design, and review the back-end server security.

CC: @InJesterr, @Zino @palewin @fifitango

Thank you!

Revocation Committee

Alrighty got it, although we said we can fix any of this withing 2 months seems like stopping the project funding entirely made sense to you somehow :smiley:
As for the promises we did finish most nearly everything and did a month of work entirely for free now basically, I get that the 1,500$ should be allocated to the winners but what about the Team and their efforts?

The entire month april hasnā€™t been paid yet you can check the contract,
Feb was paid in March
March was paid in April
April all the work hasnā€™t been paid for although we finished the entire roadmap for it.

The

If there is still a possibilty for a one time payment I would like to know thanks for your time.

Done

2 Likes

Feels like we are missing a whole 23,500 dai, for making us labor in april then pause us last second so we cant releaseā€¦

@Zino this is ridicilous that @HPrivakos and @maryana are conspiring together and not paying us for an entire month.

Iā€™ll give you guys a week to discuss it before I go to my lawyer and sue the people in charge for not paying us for a whole month work.

also for you particulary @HPrivakos if this week itā€™s not done I am also sueing you for defamation personallyā€¦

I will not allow threatening. Iā€™m only enacting what was asked, and I am not enacting those alone.
Maryana is not alone to decide for the revocation committee either.
The decision is finale, there is nothing to discuss about.

Well my goal is not to threat anyone, My goal is to give you information that in a week I will be preparing for a legal proceeding.

also I am not trying to break any rules but you can say you donā€™t allow me what you want but letting you guys know that I am going to prepare for legal proceedings because both the 2 member of the RC @dax & @maryana thought it was reasonable enough to not pay a team their money for a month of work we had already done also I believe @Zino might be familair with legal proceedings seeing his background maybe ask him for advice, it is really abusive to not pay an entire team for their work.

Also just to let you know if I am going to sue, I am not sueing only for the 23,500 but also for the 25,000 plus damages.

leaving it up to you guys wishing the best for you :heart::kissing_heart:

78 days ago you sent 20k DAI to binance, why not use them to pay your team?
There is no serious investor whos going to put 100k in non-functional AFK game, which had 0 security. From what I saw there was an player who was able to access your DB and modify the records there.

Please stop mentioning that community passed your proposal, we all know that CartL did it.
And yea, who are going to sue?