[DAO:542d07e] 3D Everyday Objects Repository

by 0x1b35f4d22b2c8bc706bcfcc383a1ca77fb4fc600 (punkpink)

Should the following $23,700 grant in the Platform category be approved?

Abstract

The vast majority of spaces have sterile decorations, making the image of Decentraland seem decadent and boring to visitors. By offering a wide variety of everyday objects (chairs, books, lamps, and many others) we would make Decentraland spaces more elaborate in the medium-long term. At the same time, building a custom scene would be easier since each of the elements would not have to be designed from scratch.

Improving access to resources is imperative, since every visitor who explores Decentraland for the first time mostly sees sites as empty as these:

External Image

Grant size

23,700 USD in DAI

Project duration

3 months

Beneficiary address

0x8acb9cD89273fB013c544e51d16Fc383e7Ee216e

Email address

punkpinkdcl@gmail.com

Description

Problem

Decentraland has a serious problem, the plots are empty, and many of the built spaces tend to be monotonous and boring, with sterile and sometimes exaggeratedly simple decorations, this gives an appearance of simplicity, poor and not very immersive experiences. The fact that creators do not have access to a quality and sufficiently varied source of resources totally limits the appearance of Decentraland and therefore the user experience.

• The lack of items makes many builders create spaces in a much simpler way than what could be done if this repo were available, not having resources means that the aesthetics of the spaces remain unchanged for years, creating the perception that Decentraland is a poor and simple-looking, sometimes dying world. With a substantial variety of items, users would modify their plots more frequently and we would have more diversity in the spaces and more aesthetic rotation.

• Not having an extensive repository of 3D items is a barrier for new creators and an obstacle for current ones, designing every detail of a space is not acceptable for the majority, it would be much more beneficial to have immediate availability of thousands of free items to create Decentraland spaces, making decorating a scene a more personalized, fast, easy and pleasant process.

• When a creator creates a construction, he builds it in order of relevance: first the structure of the building, then stairs / elevators, then murals, etc. As the project progresses, secondary elements are left for last, and the details are normally not implemented, giving this feeling of abandonment to a large part of the buildings.

Solution

The 3D Everyday Objects Repository will be created, which will have 1,000 everyday 3D objects free to use by the community, being able to provide any place with varied content, transforming Decentraland into a more attractive, exciting and immersive place.

This will allow owners to modify the decoration of their scenes in a few minutes because they will not have to make new objects for it from scratch, simply choose them from the 3D Everyday Objects Repository and later import them into their scene.
Every owner of a plot will be able to create a space with high-quality items that do not overload the scene in a quick and easy way, with a high level of customization.

At the same time, it will facilitate and accelerate the work of creators by allowing them to choose from a large inventory of items to modify, improve or implement directly into a building immediately without having to create them from scratch.

For a deeper understanding of the project you can consult the following document: 3D Everyday Objects Repository - Detailed.pdf - Google Drive ,which details the construction procedure, quality standards and topological limitations, publication, etc.

Benefits

• Decentraland will get a richer, more varied and vibrant appearance.
  • The spaces will be more complex and personalized.
  • The experiences will be more realistic and immersive.
  • Users will be able to create spaces more easily, faster and of higher quality.
  • It will be a more attractive virtual world for new users.

Roadmap and milestones

Month 1:

Phase 1: First 300 items will be designed, built and published. Previously, topological limitations and other characteristics of the elements, the main categories that will make up the repository and other organizational and coordination aspects of the project will also have been determined in detail.

Month 2:

Phase 2: 350 items will be designed, built and published, making a total of 650 3D objects.

Month 3:

Phase 3: The remaining 350 items will be designed, built and published, making a total of 1,000 3D objects.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Why someone votes NO? I really don’t understand why u block content initiatives while Decentraland has a problem with assets and scenes

1 Like

Hey @PunkPink ! Do you have any images showing the quality and style of the assets you’ll be creating?

1 Like

Hi @Yannakis , I don’t have samples right now but if the community is interested in it I can show some examples during the process of this vote that I was working with this past week.

I have added in the description a document that explains certain nuances of how 3D objects will be produced, this may help you, if everything and this is not enough for you, let me know and I will spend a morning finishing the concepts I have been working on to be able to show in a more visual way what type of items this repository will contain.

Obviously, if anyone else is interested in me publishing a visual sample, let me know in the comments.

Thank you.

That’d be great! It’s a bit hard to vote without having an idea of what to expect.

1 Like

In this case give me a few days to prepare some samples, I will try to publish them in the comments as soon as possible.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask :wink:

1 Like

Voting no for now, love your work however I agree with Yannakis on having samples included.
Also there has been a grant approved on more or less same subject before:

Hello @Sannin, I am very flattered that you like my work, I try to work hard in everything I do.

Let me clarify to the community that the repository you mention has no relationship with the one proposed here, since the one mentioned is a repository of buildings and the one proposed here is a repository of everyday objects to decorate spaces.

As I responded to @Yannakis, I will include some samples over the next few days, which I think is a priority to clarify these doubts as soon as possible. I hope that then you can support my proposal :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be better (and cheaper) to curate assets from elsewhere rather than recreating something that has been done dozens of times already?

https://poly.pizza/ has thousands of everyday low poly assets, even PolygonalMind has assets there 100 Avatars R1 by Polygonal Mind | Free download

We need more assets for creators, but that doesn’t mean we should spend tens of thousands of dollars recreating assets that can be easily found online

1 Like

Hello @HPrivakos,

Before posting this proposal, I carefully evaluated what you are now suggesting and it raised serious adaptability issues.

Although poly.pizza may have low poly objects, they present the following problems:

1 – Triangles: The vast majority of objects contained in this platform, despite being low poly, may not serve the objective of creating more detailed scenes. For example, this waffle has more than 1,000, that means that taking into account that the maximum number of triangles in a scene is 10,000, it is not convenient for a simple waffle to take over 10% of the capacity of a LAND. Of course, other more elaborate objects on this platform easily exceed 3,000, 5,000 and even 10,000 triangles, making them unviable to solve the current problem.

2 – Materials: These objects in some cases use up to 10 materials, making a single object monopolize up to half of the maximum materials allowed in a LAND.

3 - Textures: None of these objects do not use textures, limiting the options to solid and monotone colors, leaving aside the possibility of implementing gradients or visual elements that give more realism and emotion to a space. I want to clarify that it is not appropriate to use a different texture for each object since that would overload the scenes. To do this, it is possible to share the same texture for all objects that contains a great variety of colors, tones, gradients and sections that emulate certain everyday materials.

4 – Dimension: Like the waffle example, choosing objects that have not been designed to be used in Decentraland also causes size problems, since that means that someone at some point will have to resize each one of them, making the task of decorating a space exhausting, when in reality it should be something pleasant, easy and fun.

5 – Position: The vast majority have a central position, this means that when imported into the builder directly they would be below ground level, forcing the creator to modify their position before implementing it directly, it may not be relevant in a waffle, since this would usually be placed on top of a surface such as a table, but that is essential if we are dealing with objects that are usually at ground level, such as an umbrella stand.

6 – License: Many of the objects of this platform use a CC-BY 3.0 license which requires attribution to the author when these objects are used, obviously this presents a deeper debate that must be taken into account, on the other hand there are a part of these objects that use the CC0 1.0 license, these would be usable as long as the aforementioned characteristics are altered to be able to be used in Decentraland.

Analyzing all the objects on the platform and screening them to select the items that can be easily adapted to the requirements of Decentraland scenes, and subsequently modifying their materials, dimensions and position so that they can be used in a LAND would be more expensive and would result in a repository with a few dozen objects, of lower quality and without defined categories, these are the main reasons why I did not suggest this from the beginning.

I think Decentraland have enough of low poly models for now

As for me, this grants would be better to be created by someone like me or any other Senior 3D Artist, that will provide HQ models with baked textures and etc, like Doki did.

I would gladly create library of HQ models with baked textures and animations (if thats NPC or Particles) for the same amount of grant money, or maybe on few thousands more.

Or i would like curate someone with workflow, for % from grant.

And once again, for now, there is enough low poly stuff that was created on other grants. And the worst part of all this stuff, is that quality of this low poly models from other grants - is total :poop:

Sorry @PunkPink, but i would vote NO, if i had million VP as some whales here, but for now i have 0 VP, so i just post my opinion here.

2 Likes

Thanks for your comment @theankou,

I want to say that I do not believe that there is enough modeling in Decentraland, the proof of this is the scenes themselves, on the other hand in the comments I am willing to detail all the issues in relation to the quality of this project and obviously comply with them absolutely, In turn, I will soon publish some samples of what type of objects this repository will contain.

Based on the work you have done in your previous grant (800 add-ons repo for fashion creators) I will be voting No for this one.

The work done in previous grant is very low quality and I doubt many (if any) creators will use those “add-ons” (distorted default mesh divided in parts).

1 Like

Hello @Shiny,

I am very sorry if you have found a bug that was not detected at the time, if so, please tell me exactly where the bug is so I can correct it.

On the other hand, this grant that you mention was dedicated to creating a more accessible alternative to people without knowledge of 3D modeling, although any creator can use these meshes, the final objective of this is to break down an entry barrier for new potential users who want to create wearables.

I must also tell you that even though the grant period has already ended and 25% more meshes were delivered than the proposals (1,005 instead of 800), work is still being done to make this source of resources a better-known tool for the community, you can check yourself that yesterday, to guarantee the perpetuity of the repository and that it is more visible to DCL users, a pull request was made in the Awesome-Repository: Pull requests · decentraland-scenes/Awesome-Repository · GitHub

Below I present some samples as an example so that the community has a more precise example of what the repository will contain.

For those who wish to go deeper, you can consult the following PDF that I have prepared clarifying some doubts that may arise along with some other images: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g7UeDEAE-uwZYAcThoowVya0Lu3Vu_Yi/view?usp=sharing

If at any time anyone would like me to attach more information, please let me know in the comments.

Thank you.

but this is shit for 60k…

I attach a couple more samples.

We have quite a large repo of models already that barely anyone uses, and I personally have found great success with open source models for metaverse development.

I would love to see a way for the community to upload models for fair-use or that users can buy a license for with Mana, so perhaps there is some opportunity here in the same spirit.

However adding more files to our current repo of models is not something I think will cause a massive improvement as they often don’t fit the theme of custom builds and therefor only really benefit beginner users and builds that are unlikely to gain traction - not that it’s a bad thing, but I would prefer we spend our resources on the platform/systems over content right now.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment Morph, I really appreciate that those who voted “no” explain to me why they did it, this helps me improve my vision of Decentraland.

I would love to see a way for the community to upload models for fair-use or that users can buy a license for with Mana, so perhaps there is some opportunity here in the same spirit.

This phrase of yours will really give me something to think about over the next few days, I agree that it could be very beneficial if this could be enhanced in some way.

I would appreciate it if you could develop with me this idea that you have mentioned to reach interesting conclusions, so if you are interested in talking about it, feel free to send me a DM.

3D Everyday Objects Repository

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 16% 1,496,017 VP (38 votes)
  • No 78% 6,947,082 VP (69 votes)
  • Abstain 6% 579,321 VP (11 votes)