[DAO:4d95a1e] FIRST METAVERSE ARCHITECTURE BIENNALE

Hi Zino!

Apologies for no answered emails, my team informed me about the message immediately, and I thought they had already responded and confirmed the meeting.

Of course we will come to the call on July 27, thank you for the invitation. We will try to prepare the most detailed information, and we already have cool updates to share with the DAO. See you )

Best regards, Metaverse RickšŸ¤

1 Like

FIRST METAVERSE ARCHITECTURE BIENNALE

This proposal has been ENACTED by a DAO Committee Member (0x88013d7ed946dd8292268a6ff69165a97a89a639)

Vesting Contract Address: 0xa319510CDF9e7923Cc4fc083534765E89d72Db61

This proposal has been ENACTED by a DAO Committee Member (0x88013d7ed946dd8292268a6ff69165a97a89a639)

Vesting Contract Address: 0xa319510CDF9e7923Cc4fc083534765E89d72Db61

Dear Community,

The Grant Support Squad was created to support the grantees in achieving their goals and taking care of the DAO treasury.

After thoroughly reviewing this project, the Squad wants to communicate that we recommend creating a new vesting contract.

Upon conducting a thorough review of this project, we have arrived at an important recommendation: creating a new vesting contract. Our evaluation considered the timeline proposed by the grantee (@MetaverseRick ) in their submission, particularly the progress made during July in preparation for the upcoming event scheduled from 21 to 24 September. Following a productive meeting with the team and a comprehensive examination of their completed tasks, we mutually agreed that aligning the vesting contract with the proposed schedule would be beneficial.

Therefore, we recommend that the DAO Committee (@HPrivakos @Tobik) create a new vesting contract that adheres to the presented timeline. The proposed start date for the new contract is July 1, 2023, with a duration of 4 months. This allocation of funds will allow the Grantee to access the necessary resources for their project while providing the community and us the flexibility to assess progress before the hard deadline of September 21

Regards.
The Grant Support Squad.

Hey! We sadly cannot backdate a grant, sorry.

Where is it?

FYI @Zino

Seems like they posted wrong coordinates at the event pageā€¦

They wrote 0,82 and the correct one is 82,0

Seems like another embarrassingly simple mistakeā€¦

Hi Shiny. Yes, Yesterday we sent an email to the team + a direct message to the grantee to inform them that the events have an error regarding the location.

Thank you!

Hello, community:

The Grant Support Squad was created to support the grantees in achieving their goals and take care of the DAO treasury.

After thoroughly reviewing this project and receiving many concerns raised by the community, the Squad wants to communicate that we will send this case to the Revocations Committee with our recommendation to revoke the vesting contract of the Grant.

These are the facts that we gathered:

Performance/Quality:

• The scene crashed several times in the web version. This may happen because if you are making constant changes to the scenes and users are testing at the same time, not all assets are converted to a more optimal format for Webgl.

That triggers that the team behind it wasnā€™t prepared to understand how the Decentraland environment works.

• The texture of the images, assets created and the whole experience were very low quality.

Some examples collected by the community:

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 4.33.52 PM
Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 4.35.01 PM
Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 4.35.51 PM

Roadmap:

• Live streaming: The events scheduled in the Agenda have had issues regarding streaming: The scene was able to load. However, the audience couldnā€™t hear or see the video.

Some examples:

Decentraland awareness - a crossover between W3RLDS and DECENTRALAND

• In the Decentraland Biennale, there are many links to visit the Biennale in W3RLDS. But, if you see the Biennale in W3RLDS, there are no mentions of the Biennale in Decentraland.
  • Also, the Decentraland DAO logo wasnā€™t shown in any deployed scenes on the Decentraland and neither on W3rlds (this was a requirement. Recognition requirement)
  • In short, reciprocity, as they promised, isnā€™t present.

Example:
Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 11.23.04 AM

Metrics: The grantee said that the target audience size was: 50.000.

The numbers after the events happened are far from what they promised.

Also, it is not a justification if the audience in W3LDS was more than 50.000 because, as was written above, there was no mention of Decentraland there.

DCL Metrics: (location MAB - 82,0)

Wearables: The grantee promised to mint wearables and send them to the attendees, but many users are still awaiting their wearables due to the absence of an automated setup process.

Here, you can see the collection submitted.

Conclusion:
Several concerns have been raised regarding the quality, roadmap execution, live streaming, Decentraland awareness, wearables and metrics of the project. These concerns indicate issues with project preparation and delivery.

Performance/Quality: The scene crashed multiple times in the web version, possibly due to constant changes and asset optimization issues. This suggests that there was no effort to be prepared to understand the Decentraland environment.

Roadmap: Live streaming during scheduled events encountered problems, including issues with audio and video, indicating technical challenges in execution that couldnā€™t be addressed, even though they had had enough time to do it.

Decentraland Awareness: While there were links to the Decentraland Biennale in W3RLDS, there were no mentions of the Biennale in Decentraland, and the Decentraland DAO logo needed to be displayed as required.

Metrics: The projectā€™s target audience size of 50,000 was not achieved, and metrics do not align with the promised figures. Additionally, there wasnā€™t mention of Decentraland in W3rlds.

These concerns highlight issues in project preparation, team, execution, and communication.

We recommend to the Revocations Committee (@maryana @dax @MetaDoge) that they revoke the vesting contract. The DAO Committee ((@HPrivakos @rizk @Tobik)will pause the vesting contract until the Committee takes the final decision.

Also, in this report we are notifying our recommendation to the Grantee (@MetaverseRick)

The grantee will have the opportunity to release a public statement explaining the work done, the issues that they had, their own metrics, and any other relevant points to the Revocations Committee. Last, if more information appears, we will send it directly to the Revocations Committee.

Grant Support Squad.

4 Likes

Hello @Zino, dear Community. In this post, I will state the position of Metancy and my one about how the Biennale is going.

First of all, I would like to say that it is very exciting for me to come here here because I am like the one who takes the rap for all our production here. But it needs to be done - because I respect you, and I am responsible for the whole DAO.

Secondly, we are working until the very last moment and now to correct the situation that happened in Decentraland during the Biennale. We share our responsibility for optimizing the space, the weight of the scene, and other things that could make the user experience smoother and more enjoyable.

I want to mention that we managed to create everything we had in mind and successfully assemble it in DCL, relying on the limitations of the Plaza. Also, there were no problems with the code on local systems and primary tests with the Decentraland Foundation. But everything started to collapse with a constant flow of people. And through tests, we found out that this is a problem in the Decentraland engine.

What was urgently undertaken by us during the festival:

• Most of the animations we created were turned off, except for the most basic ones

• Another 15 percent has reduced the sceneā€™s size without losing anything in the visual part.

• Colliders have been changed

• Reduced the number of mashes by 2.5 times

• Some textures have been merged

Of the massive problems that concern us, these are the content streams that we, the artists and the participants in the discussions, have prepared for you. For reasons we donā€™t understand, not everyone had a video on the screen, but the sound was audible to most. We can say that here we are powerless, as we have conducted many tests that have not been successful. As a result, we discovered it was not in our code but in the plaza itself. Since copying the code and pasting it anywhere else in the dcl, everything works as it should + everything also works on the local.

My butthurt is that panic seized me, and I did not make a simple but correct decision in time ā€” to move the events using the screen to another stage and direct people there by installing teleports on the plaza and changing the coordinates in the events. Instead, we uploaded everything to YouTube and attached a huge banner with a link, which is also a solution, but itā€™s a terrible one.

By the way, @peanutbutta suggested the right solution, but it was already on September 24th.

We want to apologize:

• To the entire Decentraland community, as well as guests who did not manage to enjoy the festival. Now the Biennale scene 82;0 is optimized and with calm traffic you can easily and smoothly watch everything

• Personally Sam Hamilton, because at the beginning of the communication, he offered to reduce the number of participants (it is worth explaining that we had a tight deadline, so Sam suggested and was right)

• To the participants for the fact that during the main program of the festival, it was difficult for people to enjoy their works

• To the artists Future Music, Hiroyo Watanabe, Mr. Big Mouth, and Meta DJ for the fact that few people saw their video works.

• Users who have minted wearables for a prolonged sending. (If you have not received the wearables from the Biennale - use the form. We will send everything

And finally, about our KPIs and metrics. We really didnā€™t achieve the visitors indicator we were aiming for yet, even though we got the desired media coverage. On this topic, we are now collecting the entire information base and figuring out exactly what mistakes we made and we are still inviting people and make activities.

Personally, while the event was going on, in order to cool my head, I decided to refrain from reading DAO chats on discord, but the Team was constantly cracking the chat and catching errors to correct. Now I see that a lot of people have tagged me, and I probably wonā€™t be able to answer everyone here, so in order not to seem cowards and irresponsible, we are ready to go into an open AMA session with the community and discuss all the points concerning the Biennale at it.

We can set it for example on 3rd October, 1:00pm UTC

In any case, we will post a detailed update on the grant, as well as continue to maintain full communication with GSS and the revocation committee. Thank you all, and have a nice day.

Firstl of all, i want to say sorry for my bad grammar and english, but here is some of things which was confusing for me. Also, sorry if some of things i understood wrong.

I had very strange feelings when i was visiting scene and event from MAB
Main idea of MAB festival great, models looks interesting, animations, etc

But lack of optimization was the main problem. I use HIGH END PC (RTX4090, I7, etc) to run Decentraland, and this scene was really huge problem for me in first couple of days (5 stable FPS on web, and a bit bigger on PC)

From grant i see that there was total 100.000$ (maybe im wrong) involved in event and i dont understand, why not to hire good studios / artists that are well experienced in creating very well and optimized stuff for DCL? We have the whole page on DCL website with list of favoured studios.

By the way, i never followed links to W3RLDS, because i donā€™t really like that way of content, i came to scene to get feelings and chill with people from community and the only thing that i see is teleports, bad user unfriendly UI random positioned on the screen, and button with links :frowning:

For me, it feels like that people who worked on project come for easy money, throw all objects / write some code as fast as possible and as is, without any attention to optimization, and waiting for good result :sweat_smile:

I think festivals and all kind of that stuff should be done with collaborations between DCL FAVORED STUDIOS + DAO + PEOPLE FROM COMMUNITY, that way chances that experince wonā€™t have issues is much bigger, than doing all the things with non experienced people. And that way in-long term, projects will only increase their quality. And random people (like from this grant) will not dissapear later on. Not sure how much money that way would require, but for me it feels the same ~100.000 or a bit more, but with much better quality result.

Iā€™m DCL member for almost 3 years, and in my top tier list of festivals, this one was the worst and cofusing one. I didnā€™t get any emotions from this festival. And the wearables quality from gieaway looks very bad, it was done just to be done. Buildings from participators looks interesting (this is not their fault that project end up with lots of issues). The problem here is that i dont feel any soul involved from people who worked on this project and asked for grant :frowning:

Also, as far as i know, bloom setting was temprorary removed because of MAB! Bring back bloom to community!

4 Likes

It was also causing issues in other scenes

1 Like

Hi Community,

Our team, the Revocation Committee received a request from the Grant Support Squad to discuss this case and make a decision in regards to the following proposal:

As a result of discussion and the final vote, we suggest that this grant should be REVOKED. @HPrivakos @Tobik @Rizk

Voting Members:
@dax, @maryana & @bay

@Metadoge requested to be substituted in this vote due to a conflict of interest as he is an architect and felt like he might be biased.

Revocation Committee snapshot vote result:

https://snapshot.org/#/revocationscommittee.eth/proposal/0x67672f63122ab8fdc1b1a575a7145d07b915e478e985121223e7b61ddf0b6916

Reasoning for revocation:

After reviewing the statements made by the GSS and the team behind the Biennale and discussing the case with other relevant parties including the Foundation team that supported the build, we have come to the conclusion that the issues experienced at Biennale resulted from both issues with the DCL platform and decisions made by the Biennale team.

We have analyzed responsibility for the issues that arose within each budget category submitted by the Biennale, and therefore revoke the grant accordingly:

SDK/Server - 66% revoked

• According to reports of attendees, the scene crashed frequently, there was no working video stream and the audio only worked at times.
  • We accept that the issues with video and the difficulty in optimizing scenes were partially caused by DCL platform limitations.
  • However, SDK was the largest budget category in the grant and there were ample funds and time for the Biennale team to better address these limitations.

3D / Architecture - 30% revoked

• According to the foundation team, the grantee was responsive and worked independently to deliver the architectural side of the build.
  • The biennale secured 11 of the 12 partnerships promised in the grant and attracted 27 further architectural practices and design brands to exhibit in DCL.
  • These builds were correctly deployed but many assets were of considerably lower quality than promised in the grant proposal.

Marketing - 100% revoked

• The marketing strategy and spend is highly questionable.
  • The marketing lead left a month before the event and was not replaced.
  • Paid partnerships with media outlets promoted the Biennale team and W3rlds above the Decentraland brand.
  • Event attendance was far below the target audience size of 50,000 promoted in the grant proposal and media releases.

Content / Promo - 100% revoked

• Social media content entirely lacked Decentraland promotion.
  • W3rlds deployment lacked any promotion or links to DCL.
  • The figures shared with the press for attendance are misleading and are still being used.

Event Management - 50% revoked

• As mentioned by the grantee in their response, steps could have been taken to move the event but these steps were not taken.
  • No organizers were on site during the event according to attendees - it was difficult to find help.

2D - 0% revoked

• From what we found, 2D assets were delivered as promised.

Operational - 0% revoked

• As per the grant, operational expenses were spent on various freelancers.

Wearables - 50% revoked

• Wearables were delivered as promised, but only after considerable delay.
  • Biennale wearable IP infringed that of other major brands.

Further recommendations:

Based on the above figures, we recommend that 66,630 USD of the original 115,000 USD be revoked. As the team has already removed 29k from their vesting contract, we recommend that the DAO committee (@HPrivakos @Tobik @Rizk) create a one-time vesting contract in the amount of 19,370 USD and make it available to the grantee.

Thank you!

Revocation Committee

Hello dear community!

My Team and I have posted an update on the Metaverse Architecture Biennale grant page, which can also be considered arguments for Revoke Commeettee and other justice authorities.

https://governance.decentraland.org/update/?id=cda80232-2ad3-11ee-8fbb-d9eddf5c2b3f&proposalId=82250970-1836-11ee-93a7-ed9294f83f74

We apologize for the long wait, in fact, the event only recently ended - on October 7. The team is doing a lot of post-event work right now.

We are fully in touch and ready for any communication.

Thank you so much for your attention and have a nice day to everyone.

Dear Revocation Committee @maryana @dax @bay thank you for your expert opinion on the revocation of our grant.

We think that it lacks a comprehensive evaluation of our work, pointing out only to some objective and subjective errors without considering the full scope of our efforts, that we have listed in the recent update.

https://governance.decentraland.org/update/?id=cda80232-2ad3-11ee-8fbb-d9eddf5c2b3f&proposalId=82250970-1836-11ee-93a7-ed9294f83f74

There are some examples of arguments, which may not contribute to a fair evaluation from our point of view, and that we donā€™t understand or disagree with. For example:

In terms of the grantā€™s objectives, it aimed to enhance marketing and promo efforts in various areas, such as increasing visitors, publications, and user engagement. Weā€™ve achieved significant success in social media with 80+ unique content pieces across major networks.

Our website is fully operational and popular making it to the second Google page in ā€œMetaverse architectureā€™ search, and weā€™ve secured 55 international publications, reaching almost 300 million users, surpassing the grant proposal by almost 100 times. It seems that these and many others achievements were not considered, if you propose 100% revocation.

Architectural work, did not face any criticism from professional architectural media. We think thatā€™s unfair to revoke any money from this piece of wort. Maybe your concern about projects looking better in the grant proposal is related to the use of renderings, which quality canā€™t be batched in a low poly environment as Decentraland, but we assumed this distinction would be clear to platform-savvy individuals.

And there are some other arguments to discuss.

We urge you to review the document weā€™ve submitted, which details all the tasks weā€™ve accomplished. Weā€™re open to discussions and accept valid criticism, including potential grant revocations, but we currently find your decision insufficient in justifying such a significant grant revocation. Weā€™d appreciate the opportunity to meet and discuss your assessment of our work in relation to the document.

Weā€™d like to highlight our commitment to providing visitors with the best possible experience and extending the Metaverse Biennale from September 24th to October 7th. We were not seeking additional funds for this extension and did this to give visitors a complete experience of the event. Our intention was never to profit from a low-quality production; rather, we aimed to create a prominent and culturally enriching Metaverse event, and in many aspects, we believe weā€™ve succeeded.

One time payment of 19,370 USD