[DAO:4be993a] Should the user be able to change the case of their NAME?

by 0x1b35f4d22b2c8bc706bcfcc383a1ca77fb4fc600 (punkpink)

Linked Draft Proposal

Should the user be able to change the case of their NAME?

Summary

A proposal to allow users to modify the case (uppercase/lowercase) of their registered names in Decentraland.

Abstract

This proposal outlines the importance and benefits of allowing users to alter the case of their registered names after the initial registration. It emphasizes the impact on personal and brand identity, accommodating the need for proper capitalization in names and brand titles.

Motivation

The inability to modify the case of a registered name can lead to inconsistencies with personal or brand identity. This limitation can be particularly significant for brands where specific capitalization is integral to their image. Implementing this change will enhance user experience and brand representation in Decentraland.

Specification

The proposed change involves updating the Decentraland name registration system to allow users to adjust the case of their names. This would include both technical updates and a user-friendly interface for making these adjustments.

Impacts

The proposed change is expected to enhance user satisfaction by providing greater control over their virtual identity. It will also benefit brands in maintaining consistency with their real-world branding.

Implementation Pathways

The implementation would require:

1 - Technical development to support case changes in the name registration system in a way that is visible everywhere on the platform (world and all Decentraland websites).

2 -A user interface update to allow easy editing of name cases.

Conclusion

Implementing the ability to change the case of registered names will significantly benefit users and brands in aligning their virtual identity with their real-world representation. This small change could have a considerable impact on user satisfaction and brand perception within Decentraland.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Doesn’t this completely defeat the purpose of a unique name. When anybody can mint a similar variation of my name then change the Caps to be the exact same as mine. Why did I mint my name early to make sure I got what I wanted? And what about the people that minted names early to try to make a profit. They would lose any potential profit as these companies wouldn’t need to mint their actual name. I voted No as I feel this takes away individuality from unique names.

Hello @OfficialCryptoCube, thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify this.

If you purchased the name “Username” no one can have upper and lower case variations of your name, only you can.

That is, variations such as “username”, UserName", “USERNAME”, “uSErName” and all the ones you can think of can only be used by you, the original acquirer of the name “Username”

That doesn’t mean that more NFTs will be created in your wallet, it simply means that you will have the freedom to display your name however you want.

If I haven’t been able to express myself well, feel free to tell me and I’ll try again.

Cheers.

1 Like

Should the user be able to change the case of their NAME?

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 99% 6,953,384 VP (54 votes)
  • No 1% 44,395 VP (6 votes)
  • Abstain 0% 0 VP (0 votes)
1 Like