Wearable RGB-Color (emission/glow)

Hello DCLfam,

how can emissive RGB colours be applied to a wearable (hair/eye)? Is that possible at all?
Unfortunately I couldn’t find anything about it in the forum or in the documentation.
Maybe someone can help me, send me an overview (nodes) or can name a source of information.

3 Likes

That is a really good question, I think you mean add RGB with glowing to Hair/Eye?

I couldn’t find any working setting for the Engine, too. It works in Blender somehow to connect a Vertex Color to the Emission, but after uploading this model to the Editor it is not working as expected, in the Engine too.

I wonder if this is possible at all and if yes: how?

1 Like

Hey @METATIGER ,

you’re right. That’s exactly what I meant. A solution would be wonderful :blush:
Maybe @michi @theankou @Shibu @Sango @Lauretta @HirotoKai @Malloy @Yannakis can answer that.

Thanks

just use AvatarHair_MAT name for material that should work with hair color RBG change in-game
that way if you will change hair color to something else, part of your wearable will change color too

2 Likes

however, as i know emission dont work very well with this material

That’s what I did with my Swimwear and the RGB Eyes. But when it comes to Emission/Glow it fails. So how do we make a RGB changeable, colored Hair Glow, where the glow color matches the dynamic Hair color?

2 Likes

Exactly @METATIGER important is the glow (hair/eyes/whatever) in combination with the RGB functionality :+1::rainbow:

1 Like

This is something I have ready for another design.
I don’t mind sharing my solution setting:

Material: AvatarHair_MAT

• Set texture to base color
  • Set imissions V to 0.1
  • set roughness to 1
  • set emission strength to 0.1
    Note: The color factor node is to preview color in blender only.

@theankou is there a way to do RGB separate for hair and eyes for a skin or helmet wearable? or are we currently only able to connect RGB to AvatarHair_MAT. I tried using AvatarMaskEyes_MAT, which doesn’t seem to work.

4 Likes

The older version I had up earlier the color to the emissions, which will set it to the color factor in world. I’ve updated the image in my reply.

The base color node is where the RGB is applied, the actual emissions, we can only control strength and apply a grayscale color to make it appear as if it’s glowing. Not the ideal solution since we would expect to emit an RGB color. Having a single-color glow; however, definitely appears more vibrant, at least that’s what I noticed when comparing them.

1 Like

Thanks. But have you tried it in the World yet? In Blender, when I change Color2 everything looks fine - the swimwear glows bright green. But in the Editor and World, the colors doesn’t change like the hair. It just glows like without the Hair Color - only the texture colors. And that’s exactly the problem we have.

3 Likes

The solution I posted isn’t working, nvm. For some reason I thought I had a solution before. I may have saved over it when I was updating some proportions and textures. I’ll check back into this.

The basic idea was, 1) emissions only outputs a non-variable color, so the best we can do is have the gray scale color emit, meanwhile adjust the gray scale emission to see enough color from the base color.

1 Like

Oh that could be a possible workaround. But I’d love to see a direct Vertex Color to Emission node working, which should give a nice glow.

1 Like

This is what I had before.
Emissive Hair Inverse

Unfortunately, for variable RGB there isn’t for emissions, at least not that I’ve seen.

2 Likes

The grayscale is inverted then slightly lightened on the emission node.

1 Like

Hello!
Sadly when applying RGB emission it will come out as a white because base UV is white, RGB works by applying a colour over the UV so when emission is applied a colour is placed over glow which results in nothing. Let me know how you go ~

3 Likes

@all
thanks for the replies and sharing your information. It sounds to me like there is no other option to make the RGB functionality glow on the wearable. I’ll try some more in Blender and maybe find a solution to share with you or someone else will come up with an idea.

4 Likes

Hello @all!

It seems I’m bringing this back from months ago, but I am now exploring creating RGB eyes and am wondering if anyone has had success in identifying the correct nomenclature for the material name, or if this is even supported? I have only had success using AvatarHair_MAT, but I’d rather tie the RGB item color to an avatar’s eyes rather than to their hair in this case.

Regarding RGB emissives, unfortunately the current setup requires you to ‘wash’ out some of the color with white for it to glow. This is because if you set your emissive value to any color other than a tone of B&W, that color will be ‘mixed’ with the dynamic RGB color that the avatar has set, which will simply look wrong. Any emissive value ‘whiter’ than 0.5 will start to wash your glowing RGB element out with bright white light. I’ve tried plugging the image texture node directly into the emissive input with ~0.25 emissive value, but still have not had success with getting accurate emissive RGB color representation. If anyone figures this out, I’d love to know what I am missing.

2 Likes

Hi @Archonomous, unfortunately, for RGB eyes I’ve settled on linking them to the hair palette.

For emissive, either grayscale or a static color/texture image. We can also input texture image with an alpha channel to highlight specific details. And definitely test in the test server. The emissions in the builder appears different than the emissions in the server.

3 Likes

This might be a good idea for me to escalate a bit now I’m thinking about it. Since starting it’s been an ongoing want from community and yes its not available atm but I think it should be. I’ll set something up and gauge community feedback!

4 Likes

Good to know it’s not available so I can stop my experimenting haha. If you can do that Michi, I know many creators would love the ability to include additional customization. However, it would start to pressure the 2-materials-per-item limit, so there may be more to this.

Do you know if this is already in the works? I’d be glad to write up a DAO poll if a similar event hasn’t already happened.

1 Like