[DAO:261e491] Enable 256-bit color picker for avatar skin

by 0x8b257b97c0e07e527b073b6513ba8ea659279b61 (Morph)

Adding the color picker to hair has greatly extended avatar flexibility, I propose we add this same functionality to avatar skin.

Avatars do not need to be restricted to ‘human’ colors, we’ve seen many robot/alien/zombie/demon/cyberpunk and more wearables that would benefit from matching skin colors.

Please vote to gauge community interest.

• Add color picker for Avatar skin
  • Keep current system
  • Add more colors (limited)
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

I’ve heard there is an API to update skin color to any hex color already, trying to track this down now if anyone knows it.

Once I have the endpoint sorted, I’ll submit a PR that follows this format:

So would this be the proper way to request / make a feature change then you think Morph? I feel like clarifying this process for people would be really helpful!

Something like:

1. Create a poll to gauge community interest in a requested feature.

2. Create or hire a dev to submit a PR with additional feature?

Perhaps we could use a step in-between those which would confirm the client teams willingness to accept the PR?

I imagine also the bidding and tendering process might become useful in the case of actually creating the PRs as many people who come up with ideas for features are not developers themselves. Perhaps it would be good to identify a default group of community devs who are capable of creating the changes for feature requests? Having a way to connect these community ideas with someone like yourself who can execute them would be a big step in the direction of achieving a lot of the things that are brought up in the DAO related to the client.

1 Like

Oh I’m just going to build it and submit it myself for free.

This poll is mostly to see if it’s worth my time, and also to justify landing the PR once complete.

The idea that we should pay or fund development on an open source project doesn’t make a tonne of sense IMO.

More free development, I’ll get back more value of any grant by actually using/participating in the early metaverse if it succeeds - funding simple ideas that anyone can add would just hurt DCL more than help.

Let’s normalize open source contributions from people who actually want the platform to get better as opposed to thinking the DCL fund is there for people to have a job running failed startups or to ‘try’ build proof or concepts.

I think we should have bounty boards, but the requirements for acceptance should be so absurdly high that users who are trying to extract wealth from it to be undesirable - only community members who lead the charge on open source initiatives with others should be eligible.

Grants should be awarded in post after significant open source contributions which should be done for the community, by the community.

4 Likes

256 bits is a lot of colors!
I think you meant 8 bits (2^8^3 = 16.7M colors)

It’s already possible to change skin colors by updating the avatar without using the client (modifying the profile json then sending it back to the catalyst)

1 Like

My mistake! Thank you for the correction :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for the confirmation! Since this is already supported in the API it would make adding it client side much more straightforward, this proposal looks like it has enough support - I’ll start working on this.

1 Like

Enable 256-bit color picker for avatar skin

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Add color picker for avatar skin 99% 1,563,937 VP (177 votes)
  • Keep current system 1% 5 VP (8 votes)
  • Add more colors (limited) 0% 0 VP (3 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 0% 0 VP (0 votes)
1 Like

Enable 256-bit color picker for avatar skin

This proposal has been PASSED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfe91c0c482e09600f2d1dbca10fd705bc6de60bc)

1 Like