[DAO:qrgzhe4] Data backpack

by 0x75341449dd0e8d696ca09ed4996a637d2cf1ec57 (fhirfly)

Should the following Tier 6: up to $240,000 USD, 6 months vesting (1 month cliff) grant in the Platform Contributor category be approved?

Abstract

Users should be able to present in DCL with whatever data they need to drive a DCL application (game.js). Data will be stored in IFPS encrypted for clear. Composable Data should be supported as well as images, documents, etc. Important hashes will be written to Ethereum/Polygon.

Grant size

240,000 USD

Beneficiary address

0x75341449Dd0e8D696Ca09eD4996a637D2cF1EC57

Email address

richard.braman@fhirfly.io

Description

Decentralize is our Creed. We believe all data should be owned and controlled by the User. As a Decentraland User, I want to reference my data with configurable (IPFS HTTP(s), etc) URI in a data backpack. I want the data in my backpack to be available to scenes, bots, and other users as I see fit. The backpack itself could be a microchip size wearable or an actual backpack, or some other thing. I want to be able to control access to the data in my backback with the Lit Protocol. Some of my data might be composable JSON, so Ceramic data models should be available too. Lit and Ceramic are compatible with each other and with IPFS.

Specification

ENS, DCL SDK, IPFS, Ceramic, Lit Protocol.

Personnel

1 .25 FTE 3D Modeler
2. .5 FTE DCL Contract Advisor
3. 3 FTE DCL SDK/Stack Developer
4. .5 Interoperability Developer
5. 1 Project Manager
We are building a DCL team right now and we about have those positions vetted and filled. The Principal Investigator will be Richard Braman of Fly Health, North Carolina, US. Mr. Braman in an expert on interoperability, composable data, restful APIS, and Ethereum. We will also use this Grant solicitation to attract other talented developers to the project who have a affinity to self sovereign, decentralized data and identity.

Roadmap and milestones

5 months to MVP with 5.25 FTEs @ $10,000/month/FTE

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Hi fhirfly,
You are asking for a very large sum of money. I don’t see a breakdown of expenses, which is an extremely basic requirement for any grant. You also need to explain what this grant is for in much more detail for the public to understand it. Without more effort put into this it’s a clear and quick NO vote for me.

1 Like

@Canessa This is a first time making a DCL grant for me, so please expect the development of this Grant to be collaborative and iterative before anyone casts a vote. Please pardon my process. I don’t really care “who” creates the data backpack actually. What I most care about is that it gets created. I feel like I have some valuable inputs on the subject and I am sure others do too. I did break down the expense, but please don’t focus on this. Its entirely “made up” at this point, and full of assumptions, many that are probably incorrect. I acknowledge that and expect the community to help. I stated the budget at the maximum amount allowable. I budgeted FTE developer costs with an average rate for a good programmer in the US. Actual costs would vary based on the market. But I am not sure of the complexity of the implementation so I am first looking for community input from knowledgeable developer on this topic as well. Also, there can be another community organized account as the beneficiary. It does not have to go through my account. In fact I might prefer it not. Its another “placeholder” until there’s a better idea.

This is just an example of a cool token gate. Other token gating mechanisms should be supported.

@dao is there a way to edit grants in this discourse? Is there a concept of a community grant? That seems like the decentralized approach which would probably yield the best deal for DCL community. Most people I have shared this link with though a data backpack is a good idea.

I think before applying for a Grant of this size it is important to understand clearly the grant making framework itself.

Here are the two proposals that established our current grant-making framework:

https://governance.decentraland.org/proposal/?id=c02ff450-2783-11ec-ac84-77607720a240

https://governance.decentraland.org/proposal/?id=b265e3e0-bcb0-11eb-a871-a927ffd81f49

1 Like

In addition to what Mattimio has suggested, we can also help you with feedback in the Community Building Decentraland Discord. We have a channel set up for people to incubate their props before posting if they like!

1 Like

Data backpack

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 1% 312 VP (9 votes)
  • No 99% 1,822,693 VP (56 votes)