[DAO:zu4tsnq] DCL Closet - Advanced Backpack Features

by 0x65813baedfd68029af5382672b0e4dd2e6f27952 (mattimus)

Should the following Tier 4: up to $60,000 USD, 6 months vesting (1 month cliff) grant in the Platform Contributor category be approved?

Abstract

Ever have trouble finding the exact wearable you were looking for? Have you ever wanted to save an entire outfit for easier changing? Wouldn’t it be nice if you could search for an item by name, find it, and then wear it?

Take a step inside your Decentraland closet! A more advanced backpack, accessible in an external web application.

Grant size

25,000 USD

Beneficiary address

0x65813BaeDfD68029af5382672b0e4Dd2E6f27952

Email address

seedeventsdcl@gmail.com

Description

I seek to create a web application that will enable advanced backpack features to simplify and enhance the backpack experience and also reduce the need for backpack features inside of the current clients. Many of the features proposed by the community can be achieved including outfit saving, sorting and filtering, previewing multiple marketplace wearables at once and more.

Why not create this as an addition to the current backpack? My main concern when designing this was that any additions to the current backpack would still run into existing issues with the backpack loading slow and not loading in high traffic scenes and at seemingly random times.

The goal of this project is twofold: add additional features but also ease some frustration with the existing backpack reliability. I also like the idea that someone looking to build a new client can potentially leverage the closet app for their backpack functionality instead of building their own and can focus on the core client functionality. In addition, the majority of the new features require some external service to be built, to save outfits etc., which can be integrated faster and easier into the current backpack after they are built.

Specification

The project will consist of a single “front-end” web application, created using next.js, and a server application and database to store outfits and any user related content. Additionally, existing decentraland foundation services (lambdas + catalyst apis) are used to fetch avatar and wearable data.

The services will most likely be hosted in AWS, but I will explore other options that can reduce costs so this can be hosted long term. The final product will have any necessary production-ready features such as data security and encryption, potential use of CDN if loading times are an issue outside of the US, and potentially at least 2 server applications running for failover/redundancy if the need arises.

The first phase of the project will be focused on the main UI/UX features and the second phase includes integration with the catalyst endpoints to sync outfit changes in game. In addition to the core features, I hope to add social features, such as seeing other people’s closets and being able to try on other’s saved outfits.

The goal is to increase user activity and socialization around wearable collections and stimulate more traffic to the marketplace by providing easy navigation for any items they are seeing.

After completion, the project source code will be made public so everyone can benefit from the catalyst api avatar interactions, in an attempt to create an ecosystem of many clients, as well as examples of interacting with the dcl lambdas and nft apis.

I have hosted an initial version to demonstrate feasibility, explore the data available and show the basic trying on features: DCL Closet Prototype

To use the app, paste in your wallet address under “Avatar Address” and your current avatar and backpack will load. To preview your avatar with someone else’s backpack, you can paste a different address into “Backpack Address”

Personnel

I am a full stack senior software engineer of over 10 years by profession and have all of the skills required to execute. I have contributed sdk development in several large community events as well as have my own parcel that I actively develop and visit daily. I have 2 publicly available sdk scripts and am always looking for ways to assist other devs and the community.

I am also very familiar with the existing data and apis for interacting with user wearables. For the MVFW Summer Gala I created a wearable viewing feature that allowed users to see what any avatar was currently wearing in a ui menu, with direct links to the marketplace listing.

I also seek to hire someone to create UX wireframes to assist with the outfit saving flows and sorting and filtering functionality as well as a UI designer to make the application feel fully polished visually

Roadmap and milestones

Phase 1 features

• UI/UX basic design and features
  • User feedback gathering and feature suggestions
  • Filtering and Sorting closet by
    • body part type
    • Rarity
    • Quantity
    • Name
  • Outfit saving
  • Marketplace links
  • Wallet connect
    • Metamask
  • Web hosting setup

Total estimated time: 80 hours

Phase 1 extra features

• Sharing outfits
  • Sharing closets
  • Triggering emotes in preview
  • Background color selection in preview
  • Background image color representing rarity

Total estimated time: 30 hours

Phase 2 Features

• Base avatar wearables, import all base models and be able to change them in outfit
  • Outfit Saving Enhancements, more outfit slots, ux updates after user feedback from phase 1 implementation
  • Enhanced validation to filter wearables by model types and enforce validation before catalyst updates
  • Integration with catalyst api to sync outfit in game
  • Wallet connect
    • Add more supported wallets to match all available in dcl

Total estimated time: 80 hours

Total Project Estimated 190 hours

Dev budget 22k

Design budget 2k

Hosting fees 1k

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Mattimus this idea is GOLD. It’s an easy yes for me. I know I’m one of the people with way too many wearables in my backpack, and I am in favor of anything that streamlines this process. I have my usual “go-to” items that I wish would be kept easily accessible.

My only questions would be: Are all of these options above feasible? I’m not a coder and I have no idea what it takes to make changes to the existing backpack system, but it seems complicated and that you’ll need to work closely with the Foundation to execute these changes. Will these changes be automatically written into the DCL backpack code once created? Or open source code that everyone can access individually? Sooo…can you break it down for us non-coders to understand it fully? I will try my best to understand it! Lol, :laughing: Thank you!

The project will consist of a single “front-end” web application, created using next.js, and a server application and database to store outfits and any user related content. Additionally, existing decentraland foundation services (lambdas + catalyst apis) are used to fetch avatar and wearable data.

I think it’s a good idea to just make a standalone app for this, trying to integrate into the existing explorer is probably not worth the time or effort.

To use the app, paste in your wallet address under “Avatar Address” and your current avatar and backpack will load. To preview your avatar with someone else’s backpack, you can paste a different address into “Backpack Address”

just to be clear though, you’d need to sign in via metamask to be able to sync your avatar with the catalyst servers, or is there another way to authenticate?

Thank you for the support @Canessa , the idea was inspired by listening to many of the communities concerns.

To be clear, this will live in a separate website outside of the DCL application with the following reasoning:

Ideally, once the features are built out, it will be easier to integrate them into the existing explorer app and will have a lot more momentum with demonstrated community usage. However, it will require a separate chunk of work and some coordination with foundation team to see how feasible it will be and who will be responsible for hosting the backend services etc.

Thank you @dax , I agree that it is going to be much smoother as a standalone app and kept the scope of this proposal to just that.

You are exactly right, for the final version with catalyst sync, the user will need to sign some message to be able to push updates via catalyst api. It will follow the same process w/ catalyst client using AuthIdentity and authChain setup as seen here:

2 Likes

This proposal is exemplary of how we can improve DCL and grow the user base with the thoughtful dedication of the organization’s resources. Many of us know about the slow loading backpack at a party with auto-dance running. Solving that frustration is enough to get my attention.

This proposal goes further and considers future extensions of DCL in as yet, unmade 3rd party clients. It creates opportunities for us all to talk with each other and interact more around things we are excited by and passionate about. It drives more sales to creators and thus helps sustain the DAO and DCL.

I’ve experienced the early version of this application at the MVFW Summer Gala. This proto-version worked quite well and excited my imagination of where this app can offer next.

Voting: YES

4 Likes

I know first hand Mattimus has the skills and knowledge to make this happen. He is an active DCL community member and is always willing to help anyone no matter who it is. YES vote coming in HOT!!!

3 Likes

I am voting YES. Mattimus is more that capable of making this happen. His skillset and organization is remarkable and I think this proposed project will add a dynamic that helps to further inspire more growth and provide a more immersive experience!

1 Like

Thank you! My non-coder brain can understand this! :joy: I look forward to seeing what you will create!

2 Likes

This is probably something I’ve been wanting and/or needing for a long time! I look forward to seeing what you do with this and would be cool to see something like this eventually develop into something integrated directly into DCL.

1 Like

Having actively tested the prototype and then sent feedback on the proposal before it was posted (and hopefully contributed some good ideas heh) I can rightfully say this is a YES vote for me!

Easy yes for me. Now, will you please help organize my real-life closet!!!

DCL Closet - Advanced Backpack Features

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 99% 3,486,902 VP (106 votes)
  • No 1% 13 VP (2 votes)
1 Like

This proposal has been ENACTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xbef99f5f55cf7cdb3a70998c57061b7e1386a9b0)

Vesting Contract Address: 0x8078195b4cab84500ef021198aa90b1d4333571e

1 Like

This proposal has been ENACTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xbef99f5f55cf7cdb3a70998c57061b7e1386a9b0)

Vesting Contract Address: 0x64f50Cf02f79416f6bc0675E31f7601A15B1ea92