[DAO: QmTJ5K5] Should players own the copyright on Decentraland screenshots they make?

by 0xcf10cd8b5dc2323b1eb6de6164647756bad4de4d (Eibriel)

Every time you take a screenshot of a game, software or web site you don’t really own that picture. The same happens with screenshots and video captures made to the Decentraland client.

Should the Decentraland Foundation modify the Terms of Use and Content Policy in such a way to automatically grant copyright over screenshots and video captures of the client, for any use and forever?

That should include screenshots of:

• Default avatars, default wearables / thumbnails
  • Common places such as streets and plazas
  • Music and sound
  • UI elements
  • Empty land / the skybox
  • Builder elements
  • And probably more

That, of course, doesn’t mean that the user will own the 100% of the screenshot, since it could include third party intellectual property, such as wearables and buildings. And must ask for permission to use them when appropriate.

This change will allow content creators , artists creating derivative art (virtual photography, filmmaking) have more right over their work. And will not require them to ask Decentraland Foundation for a release for each piece of work.

Note: A recent incident I had where I was unable to make use of a Decentraland screenshot due to copyright issues prompted me to make this proposal. I’m not a legal expert, so I may be wrong on many details. In USA exists “fair use”, but it only works there and not in the rest of the world.

• Yes
  • No
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

1 Like

Probably a better title is

“Should players own the copyright on Decentraland screenshots they take?”

Something I forgot to include: Currently is impossible to make a Creative Commons Decentraland screenshot.

1 Like

What was the issue? Why did DCL prevent you from posting the pic?

Should players own the copyright on Decentraland screenshots they make?

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 58% 294,856 VP (23 votes)
  • No 0% 0 VP (0 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 1% 4,075 VP (1 votes)