[DAO:0237865] Should grantees provide their Sourcecodes / GLB files to the DAO to be shared with the Community?

by 0x78b850b0f8728de91a392d79011d183f44d01d08 (BigMouth)

(This is my first poll, so please forgive me if it does not follow the expected layout)

Watching all these great games getting funded in Decentraland I started to wonder, who really owns these assets?

How many projects have been funded and delivered what they promised, but still became inactive? What will happen to all the GLB files (and backend Sourcecodes), when the founders decide to stop the project?

Since all grantees technically work for the DAO, shouldn’t the DAO own a repository to archive all these designs and functions so future creators can BUILD ON them?

Im not asking all the game founders and developers to expose their assets and server architecture on github, but it would be the right step to start OPENSOURCE such content to maximize it’s value for the whole Community.

This poll is just to shine light on this issue, I don’t really know yet how this could be enforced/implemented.

• Yes, let’s find a way to Opensource grantees work
  • No, founders work should stay private
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

1 Like

Yo wow big YES from me on this. I am surprised this is not already in place. If it passes I will be more then happy to be the first to contribute our 20+ DCL Scene Levels Maze Parkour challenges we created. People can even paint or reuse too for their future events. And of course I see BigMouth pitching this, so epic. So yes I open to debate but I I def see this helping the DAO and Decentraland community grow together that way when a grant passes everyone wins too.

2 Likes

Honestly this makes a lot of sense, I’d love to see more discussion about it.

2 Likes

Decentraland is founded on the principles of open-source code and decentralised ownership.

I think we all share that sentiment.

It’s a yes from me.

5 Likes

have already discussed open-sourcing dcl-metrics with the grant support squad - this makes total sense from my perspective, big yes from me!

Decentraland is a virtual world owned by its users.

Opensource :white_check_mark:

Voting No,
right now the main view about grants is that it should serve as a launching platform for an independent business inside Decentraland.

Projects are not owned by the DAO nor expected to keep receiving Grants indefinitely. Projects should become self sufficient.

Making the DAO the owner of the projects or forcing projects to go Open Source means that they will always depend on the DAO (the vast majority of OS projects depends on donations, funds and grants).

I love Open Source, in fact at OhMyVerse we are releasing open source tools to the community. But the decision to make a project Open Source should be for the game developers.

Ton of people love OpenSource and use it.

However, keep in mind that this is a limitation about which and how projects can be delivered. Some companyies contributing to opensource, use to have some private parts.

When a proposal is done, being opensource already gives a lot more acceptance in voting, but I’m not sure if the limitation can really help or to stop some good project candidates going forward.

Please don’t confuse the need for a official open source Repository, where everyone can voluntarily submit their work with enforcing it on everyone.

I think we all agree, that there is a lot of people happily providing their work for everyone to access and we need an official place for that so it won’t get lost over time.

Furthermore, offering open source work can be beneficial for any grantee looking for more approval. There is definitely a lot of scenarios like running your own brand in DCL, which should stay private.

1 Like

After some discussions in the DAO discord, I think one solution would be a “submit” feature inside the decentraland builder and SDK to upload the .glbs and full builds to a public repository. Similar to the existing functions, except the assets can be accessed and downloaded.

Should grantees provide their Sourcecodes / GLB files to the DAO to be shared with the Community?

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Yes, let’s find a way to opensource grantees work 90% 1,156,557 VP (50 votes)
  • No, founders work should stay private 10% 134,468 VP (10 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 0% 0 VP (0 votes)

This is one of the more ridiculous proposals I’ve ever seen. I sincerely hope this will not be implemented. So all independent programmers are basically digital sharecroppers??? This is a joke.

That is the right compromise. Do NOT make contribution manditory.

Should grantees provide their Sourcecodes / GLB files to the DAO to be shared with the Community?

This proposal has been PASSED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfe91c0c482e09600f2d1dbca10fd705bc6de60bc)