[DAO: QmSRrd3] Unicorn DAO brings Decentraland to NFT.NYC through physical Web3 Immersion

Hi @unicorndao I appreciate you getting back to replying to all of us, but I still think you haven’t addressed the biggest question at hand. How will this event impact DCL Queer community directly? Are you guys exhibiting DCL Creators projects? I’m a prominent Drag Queen in the DCL Community, and so are a few others, and I don’t see their names listed at this event or any names from the DCL Community at this event. While I understand the representation of ALL Queer people is important, this has to be a mutual relationship. That’s what is making it look like “pinkwashing” or a “cash grab”.

4 Likes

Our events budget is reliant upon sponsors who wish to participate as this is the initial launch of our first NFTNYC prototype event. We are donating proceeds to organizations that are otherwise usually not represented, such as Planned Parenthood & ones that are illegal in over 20 states in the US, helping marginalized communities that are directly impacted.
We are planning a multi sensorial/immersive event which is not as simple or inexpensive as one may visualize. It’s more than a digital gallery. Our creative directors & even producers want to push the envelope of how we’ve experienced past events in the space. With support of our sponsors, it fosters talent, our vision for the production and the entire operation which we aspire to be a top notch event.
Our DAO members raised funds on behalf of supporting artists with their careers in the web3 + nft space as many have not had the easiest time working in the web2 or traditional arts world prior. With the funds raised (outside the event that celebrates their art on a monumental scale) we are implementing our initial raise to support artists and support our inclusive lgbtiq+ full time employees, contractors, and all involved in UnicornX, the DAO, and the future of UnicornRiot. As you know, start ups take time, effort and faith in helping us evolve our organization.
The event is celebrating the beginning of our project publicly. We’ve been discussing internally how to bridge the gap between physical and digital activations as we’d like all that follow our journey to participate along the way, one that is a safe space for our employees, creators, fans, the entire network of UnicornDAO. We hope you understand where we are coming from and see the good we’re trying to structure in the current world as it stands & future. NFTNYC is just one iteration of what you’ll see Unicorn blossom into around the world. We all remember and look back on our mentors or the people that believed in us. We hope to create something that brings joy and connection to the arts + technology.

1 Like

@unicorndao Thanks, I’ll be keeping my vote (little VP) as a no since this isn’t really impacting DCL and its Queer members directly. I think you would have saved a lot of face and confusion had you stated in the beginning “We do not plan to display any DCL Queer Creators during this event”

What you’re doing is a huge grand event and that’s great, but DCL isn’t a VC Firm. There are plenty of grants outside of our DAO that would happily donate to events like this regardless of whether it benefits them or not. DCL is still growing and if grants aren’t being used to further that growth or development, for me, it doesn’t make sense to vote.

4 Likes

Hey Zoe and @unicorndao ,
thanks for taking the time to reply and I really appreciate everything you’re doing for the communities in RL. First off I want to echo the community in saying I would love you to be part of Decentraland, bring events and have some amazing engagement into the space. In fact I want more of UnicornDao here and opportunities for more events like this sponsored by Decentraland.

I’d be delighted to share my final budget with your team, here is where it currently stands:
Venue rental: $70,000.00 USD
Decor/Furniture Rental & Custom Art: $18,000.00
Staff, Freelance + Contractors: $25,000.00
A/V Rentals + Projection Mapping: $15,000.00
Digital Art Gallery: Custom Fabrication, Display Technology & Servers: $15,000.00
Talent & Local Performers: $30,000.00
Insurance: $2,000.00

So confirming this is your budget overview I’m assuming the $15,000 is Decentraland event?

Our events budget is reliant upon sponsors who wish to participate as this is the initial launch of our first NFTNYC prototype event. We are donating proceeds to organizations that are otherwise usually not represented, such as Planned Parenthood & ones that are illegal in over 20 states in the US, helping marginalized communities that are directly impacted.

This is the first mention of charities this event is supporting. Is the proceeds for the charity donations coming from artwork sales, sponsorship, donations on the day?

I think there is a lot of noise in this proposal which can make it tricky to see the facts and I can see there’s a lot of effort going into this event but I would love if you could join our space. I think there is a lot of support around and we can come together as a community to best approach empowering the community.

Anyway, this money is being spent for one purpose only. To create a new world, where anyone identifying as a women, from a marginalized community or a member of the queer community can let their voices, power and genius break free of the margins and stand side by side with the overwhelming viewpoints of cis white men.

The key concern is transparency around a 75k donation/sponsorship/grant to the Unicorn DAO. Currently it looks like a transfer of funds from the Decentraland DAO to Unicorn DAO.
In a decentralised space I shouldn’t need to call you for budget details, email you for clearer information. It should be present in the proposal.

Pride is about coming together and I’m so proud this community is welcoming and will support anyone entering regardless of gender and race. I honestly invite UnicornDao to hold an event in the space and see how everyone comes together and openly engages. You can see from this proposal the community is strong and we unite to build~

Then after checking out the platform and if you’re still interested, request a sponsorship/grant/funding with community support in my personal opinion.

Always feel free to reach out if you want to connect~

5 Likes

I’ll echo some of what @michi is saying… what makes DCL so great, aside from the original intentions and build of decentralization that was created, is the community. And to truly understand it you must experience it.

Its a place that breeds creativity and allows for so many opportunities, regardless of your background. It allows anyone to find and create a voice for themselves. And so often that voice can come from experiencing the landscape and the communities that have built it — from long before, those that are building it now, and then those that want to build the future of it.

This community and platform wants nothing more than to uplift and give space to those who do not have their own, and give space for people to find themselves. To take ownership of their lives without the systems and burdens of the IRL structures. But this space is still growing and trying to build within itself. So I find it very confusing as to why this proposal, in no way wants to take part in this community, but yet will ask for a large amount of money, to be used outside of the platform only. Especially without a real plan to showcase what there is here in DCL, both in the people, art, and opportunities.

That means I agree with @NikkiFuego too. The DAO works to fund DCL and what can help build and grow DCL and its communities. I do not see how directly impactful this event will be.

We do welcome you to come jump in anytime tho! There’s always something going on, somewhere new to see, and I’m sure any one of us in the comments are more than happy to show ya’ll around. Just reach out to us! Because as much as we may have been challenging much of this proposal here in the comments, we are a very kind and engaging lot, and we do love new frens.

4 Likes

Hi @michi et all-

I just wanted to chime in- I’m David Cash from Cash Labs and I’m working with UnicornDAO directly-

I also work closely with the DCL Foundation and have worked on a ton of activations in DCL over the past few years. I really want to echo one of Shibu 's points and reflect on the positive aspects of this which may not have been fleshed out or described as best as they could be:

1. The proposed IRL and URL events would promote LGBTQIA+, Queer, NB, and other female-identifying creatives active in Decentraland! @NikkiFuego I curate a ton for DCL and many platforms and have a gallery in the crypto valley district and I would love to promote your work! I can say with certainty that UnicornDAO have the same intentions and want to promote LGBTQIA+ artists in the Decentraland community via this event! This means presenting your work in the most professional means possible at the best event at NFT.NYC and exposing it to some of the biggest collectors in the NFT space. I think this is a really valuable possibility!

2. This would be the only official Decentraland activation at NFT.NYC- Nearly every company, community, and organization in the space will be represented during the largest event in the Web3 space. I think it would be really exciting if this DAO vote could facilitate Decentraland being represented at one of the hottest events at NFT.NYC- Beyond that, I think that this event would provide incredible exposure and promotion for female and LGBTQIA+ members of the DCL community. And to make it even better, this is all happening in New York City during pride month- while DCL is activating our pride month- it feels like perfect synergy.

3. As Shibu mentioned, Beyond the IRL event, UnicornDAO has committed to launching a gallery show and concert in DCL as programming for pride! This is a huge value add to our community, especially considering the inclusion of queer icons Pussyriot (google them if you’re not familiar), and I really would love to see this happen! Also worth mentioning that this gallery show would exclusively and purposefully highlight work from LGBTQIA+, female, and NB artists, and they would love to include as many incredible members of the DCL community as possible in both their URL and IRL curations.

4. Finally- I have spoken with the UnicornDAO team directly and it is worth mentioning that they are dedicated to continuing to offer ongoing programming for the LGBTQIA+ community both IRL, around the world, and in the metaverse. They would love to continue to plan future DCL programming via gallery shows, panel series, concerts and more! And I’m excited to help them explore these possibilities.

I am a fellow member of the queer community, identify as non-binary, and am also a long-standing member of the Decentraland community. I want to help UnicornDAO do this the right way- so if anyone would like to make any suggestions for improvements on this proposal or would like to be involved in any way, please reach out to me directly. My twitter is @ davidcash888

hey @cash thanks for your input.

1. This proposal states that the $75k is strictly for the NFT.NYC and not continual or developmental events in DCL. Can we get a list of the DCL Queer Creators that you already have booked for this event? Are any of them being represented in panels, promo material, or in physical galleries?

2. There needs to be more information given about who will be representing DCL directly. With so many vendors, sponsors, and attendees how are you guaranteeing that we stand out with the proposed budget when most of the budget is for infrastructure for the physical event. It looks like the “digital gallery” is purely for the event to be projected at the physical venue.

3 & 4. Is this separate from this proposal? I’m confused.

I’ve reached out via Twitter for more clarification. Thanks!

3 Likes

I love cash labs~

Are you able to clarify a transparent budget for this event? Lol

1 Like

Hello, Unicorn DAO team. Here are some reasons why I vote no:

• I think we could spend this money on organic content to make our platform more valuable and attract more players rather than being present at a physical event.
  • I don’t think a single event should cost $75k to the DAO. I also think $749 for a ticket is expensive.
  • If we want a pride week, why not give the money to already established communities for them to host it? I think there are many content creators who can perfectly run these types of events in Decentraland and there is no need to spend 75k. Not only is going to engage better (I prefer a community focused on DCL rather than an external entity) but also we could have a big amount of activities to do.

It’s a reality, events made by entities not-related to Decentraland are usually boring and there is not too much to do. Let’s have pride week run by the community.

4 Likes

Unicorn DAO brings Decentraland to NFT.NYC through physical Web3 Immersion

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 31% 2,154,548 VP (19 votes)
  • No 69% 4,597,617 VP (23 votes)