[DAO: QmQvUsc] ETHAnglia - Gaming and the Metaverse

by 0xfad24dd7573986d827bda9c0171d37e19f6a9f94

Should the following Tier 3: up to $5,000 USD in MANA, 3 months vesting (1 month cliff) grant in the Community category be approved?

Abstract

At ETHAnglia we are committed to developing a community to progress the understanding, adoption, utilisation and furthering of web3 within the East of England.

We will be running two events covering the MetaVerse, firstly, NorDevCon (17th June 2022) where around 500 developers will be attending, followed by our Gaming and the Metaverse event (21st June 2022) where a wide range of individuals from all areas of society attend.

Our team have experience of organising, managing and running events, we are looking for support from Decentraland to create a bank of usable computers to “dive in”, as well as speakers for both events.

Grant size

5,000 USD

Beneficiary address

0x3D53800346707B7F0c7bA3b2cA0dA1b9e951dCd5

Description

Our project is a community building project, allowing us to build the interest, understanding and adoption of Decentraland in the East of England. It will allow individuals to experience Decentraland for themselves, as well as hear talks on the project at our community events.

Through the funding, this will allow us to bring Decentraland “live” to an event with an estimated 500 developers in attendance, as well as another event with 100 individuls (of all walks of life). This will cover Decentraland as part of the ETHAnglia community of events, including venue hire, speaker setup and having Decentraland marketed terminals to experience the metaverse in person.

We appreciate that the communities will only utilise the “terminals” for events (we plan to integrate Metaverse into future events, but this is something we are still planning, we wanted to be explicit with our deliverables for this application). To further the technology utilisation, will ensure these are put to good use by being used by scholars of our web3 academy when not in use by the events (ETHAnglia)

Specification

The project will fall into three major catagories:

Confirming Venues and Speakers

The venue for NorDevCon is already confirmed and a preliminary speaker list including a number of high profile speakers is in the works. We have a couple of options for the Gaming and Metaverse venue on the 21st June. This will need to be confirmed. Note that we would need a live speaker for NorDevCon (17th June) but have and are able to support international speakers for the meetup (21st June) via Zoom.

Preperation for Events

Event preperation is already underway due to the scale of NorDevCon. We have full use of the room used for the web3 track on the Friday and are planning to use space for a Decentraland breakout space, as well as live interviews for content creation.

During this phase, we would need to spec and purchase the computers for free use at the events on Decentraland. Decide what activities, if any, we promote to engage within the Metaverse. Create banners to sit above the Decentraland area.

For the 21st July event, we will need to source a venue, arrange food and drinks, arrange ticketing (both Meetup and via Unlock Protocol).

Delivery

Sounds simple, but the delivery portion will make sure that members of the team are manning, organising and reviewing the use of the areas and making sure the maximum number of people are getting a good overview and use of the computers. Managing speakers, ensuring that tech is working etc.

Personnel

James Adams

James has been supporting ETHAnglia since its inception. James is the community manager for ETHAnglia, has organised a number of events including the recent Tech and Beer event at FUEL Studios (Inaugural Tech and Beer Norwich – Event Roundup - the probable venue for the 21st). James supports with the ETHAnglia Twitter, Discord., etc.

James is the founder of Akcela, an incubator in Norwich City that supports companies (including web3) to develop, and grow (Startup business incubator offering support and space in Norwich)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jamescharlesadams/

Dom Davis

Dom has been involved in startups and scale up tech companies and is an alumni of TechStars. Dom is a founding member of NorDev, has been a keynote speaker for a number of years and an experienced events director, having supported the creation and devlivery of NorDevCon through the years.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/domdavis/

Dom is also a NED and career supporter with TechEducators a full stack and web3 bootcamp, based in the Akcela incubator.

Tim Smith

Tim is a founding member of ETHAnglia and an expierienced developer. Tim brings years of development experience, and an understanding of the bootcamp process from both sides of the table and is finding his way in running and supporting events alongside the team.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tim-js/

The core team will be supported by the wider ETHAnglia committee.

Roadmap and milestones

Milestone 1: Now - March 11th - Confirming Venues and Speakers

Deliverables to the team will be venue confirmation, invoice production for event venue and confirmed speakers for each event (we are hoping someone from Decentraland). This will include the topics to be covered and duration.

Milestone 2: March 11th - May 31st - Preperation for Events

Deliverables for this will be the outline of how the events will run as a document. This will demonstrate the use of the computers, what will be running (i.e. Decentraland event), how long each person will get to try out Decentraland.

We will through the phase agree internally the specifcation for the computers, as well as the marketing for Decentraland (we are currently thinking a wide banner to sit above the terminals). This will be agreed with Decentraland.

We will also outline the food and drink situation, have ticketing (free, but we do giveaways etc, and tickets are required) available and ready for the 21st, and update the community on its status.

Milestone 3: Delivery

Deliverables for this will be the events themselves, however, we will ensure that full visibility through our marketing (such as this video https://twitter.com/ETHAnglia/status/1492208434292404226?s=20\&t=VuyzReIaoYHbmx3skzAlBA) are pushed to show the excitement and outcomes of the events.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

1 Like

Voting yes on this usually im against funding people but i think this one hits the mark. I hope you can raise the 1mil vp. I like the way you have worded things and instead of asking for funding to just make wearables or to buy land and build you are actually trying to pass knowledge. Best of luck. I Would like to see you guys grow your social media more. Might help you in these kinda votes. Im Gonna try to help you out with that.

Thank you ever so much, yes we want to get the word out about web3 and as we have hopefully got across in this proposal, whilst we don’t want to over-subscribe the amount of milestones on this piece, we want to make it clear that actually, we hope to have more events in the future.

I think uptake is looking all round positive, but the 1,000,000 VP may be the stumbling block.

Sounds like you are asking Decentraland to sponsor the event. Is unusual, but I’m fine with that. Voting yes.

I think we need that maintain a connection with the physical world through events like this one.

Looking forward to see the pictures!

Thank you so much for the vote, here are some older events we have ran.

You are exactly right, this is a gateway to the MetaVerse, used as a way of promiting and onboarding people to see what it actually is.

Once again thank you, here is hoping we can hit that 1,000,000

IRL events are needed. Everyone keeps asking for onboarding and marketing thats exactly what they are doing via education. They have a track record to boot that makes it a little more easier to say ah ok these guys have history, direction a purpose and a venue. Way more then others are bringing to the table. If they dont get it this time i hope in the future they do.

I’m also supporting this non-standard proposal. Hope the event is successful and you put the Decentraland logo somewhere to make us happy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Part of the proposal is to have a decentraland banner above the computers being used at BOTH events @maraoz - just 300,000 from approval now. Hence the costings. We also want to promote as part of talks, again, if anyone can put us in touch with someone to speak, that’d be amazing.

If @TheCryptoTengu etc. have any suggestions to get this over the line, happy to update and adjust as neccessary. We are happy to do so, but we really think this will be awesome!

Ah only thing i think is really holding you back is maybe your unknown in the majority part of community. I know its time consuming but attending events as a representative and having a name and avatar people relate to really does go along way. Never know tho some whale may come along and push. it does and can happen. ill give you a tweet dont know if it will help but I wish you the best of luck in growing and educating. I personally am rooting for you guys. This seems like the kinda proposal that really we need to grow the space. Not just for DCL but for safety and blockchain education all around.

voting yes and would be interested in learning more as i’ve run a number of events myself. please get in touch with me on discord!

Thanks @dax DAX! Can you reach out on twitter @ETHAnglia - then we can connect the dots. I will search on the Discord.

ETHAnglia - Gaming and the Metaverse

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 84% 849,165 VP (20 votes)
  • No 12% 125,959 VP (8 votes)

Oh well. Thank you all for the support that voted yes. In the end, maybe bad timing with a lot of people at ETHDenver, or just not enough interest in this meant it wasn’t to be. Thank you all for your support.

1 Like

id maybe make your avatar names known and be sure to participate in community events. Maybe also drop in couple twitch streamers twitters get your name out there. Seeing as the events are little out. Relationship and PR build could go along way.