[DAO:ff3c7bd] DCL Open Source & Community Request Builds

by 0x45f761e6ba7efa19828d404f4b4098d8de33827e (zCayel)

Should the following $30,000 grant in the Platform category be approved?

Abstract

30+ By Request 3D Builds!

To create and be in service for the community members, build request, 3D creative architectures that hasn’t been done before that is inspired by culture, memories, history or anything that hits their childhood.

Whether it is from Future or an old era, as long it has your childhood memories and builds that is not done before and that is first to be seen in Decentraland that will be uploaded in the public builder pool scene & on GitHub.

Grant size

30,000 USD in DAI

Project duration

6 months

Beneficiary address

0x45f761E6bA7efa19828D404f4B4098d8de33827e

Email address

zcayel@gmail.com

Description

Expanding the overall 3d assets of DCL for current users and new sets of users to come that may contribute to overall user retention of Decentraland.

Providing an open source by request builds for the people in DCL for them to deploy in their lands or worlds with their land sizes & specifications. especially for the active members of this community that is needing this kind of service and for them to move their small projects forward making it a tool for them to use.

Since this will be free for the whole DCL community, it will be easy to find people who are needing this service specially with their own specifics & customization. have an unofficial list of builds that some of the community members would like to see as a build or home in DCL.

If there is lacking build request from the community, I will just continue to add based on the said criteria.
Every build will be unique to one another and will have a space for basic DCL needs (NFT Gallery & Video/Hosting).

Documentation:

-Create a repository in GitHub and upload files (.glb .blender) with image and a simple video on how to use it in dcl.
-Upload everything on the public pool scene in blender for easy drag & drop use.
-Dedicated Twitter page for this project
-Dedicated YT page for timelapse video

Additionally, after all builds are done, a 3d composition, a mini city of 30+ builds will be deployed on one world making it a world of 3D open-source builds.

I have started this project and took it as a challenge for the community and by the community.
Some of the builds are actually being used, having events, and has been deployed in their lands or worlds.

I wanted to set the bar high based on the previous grant that provides open-source builds by almost cutting the funds needed in half and by allowing myself to be in service of the community by creating their custom DCL builds.

Hope that you see the value in this project as I seek your support as an active member of this community to be funded by the DAO.

Proof of Concept:

(The current composition that is deployed in my world will absolutely change & most of the builds are unfinished, additional details/interiors will be finalized during the cliff period.)

Roadmap and milestones

(Finalize 7+ builds during the cliff)

Weekly Process:

-2 days Concept & Modelling

-2 days Textures & Materials

-1-day Optimization, Finalization

-1-day Documentation

1 build per week

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Actual photo of current world/PoC

some relevant links:

Mr.Dhingia has done this already with a grant.

Hey, yes it will be open source for lands and worlds but our builds are different, also I am giving actual service by creating community build request with their own specifics. There are many things that hasn’t build before, I hope you see the point that I’m no redoing what Mr d has done. Thank you!

1 Like

DCL Pyramids plz. :space_invader: :classical_building:

1 Like

1 Like

For what it is worth, I think more content for people to utilize when they are first looking into building, and then eventually improving, or creating a new, builder where people don’t even need to access GitHub to use these kinds of things could be a reasonable use of dao funding.

Given that the dao has already funded similar grants, it is reasonable to think that there is merit to this idea, and we just need to discuss the amount being requested and if the work being offered is equal to or better than what has previously been charged to the dao to create.

I am not saying this grant is or is not a good idea. I’m just saying that I do not believe the fact that MrD has made 30 builds for $60k is a good enough reason on its own to vote no on this proposal which promises 30+ builds for $30k.

1 Like

@web3nit! thank you for your trust!! :heart_on_fire:

@jar0d i appreciate your comments, thank you for making it more clear. in addition im trying to somehow find a way how to put it directly inside the builder as Default Asset Packs but someone in the foundation told me that it wouldn’t be possible, though a marketplace will soon be made for 3D builds so i might as well put it there for 0 Mana so anyone could download and doesn’t need to leave our own ecosystem, also this is a by request (custom)builds for our community members. i will be in service for those who are making a request and will continue building/curating until they are satisfied within the said specifics and land sizes within DCL’s limit and making it available for everyone.

If there’s questions or some clarification needed, il be more than happy to answer everything about this project. Thank you!!!

@zCayel has demonstrated his eagerness and willingness to assist dcl community members by offering his talents in 3d modeling and creating a lot of cool stuff so far. I have yet to see a request he has not been able to build and his modeling is high quality and he understands the proper techniques for building low-poly and optimized for dcl.

My only concern is if only a few community members make use of this service then it may not benefit the greater community so I hope we can all collaborate in some way to generate ideas for models that can benefit the most amount of builders as possible.

1 Like

thank you for the kind and encouraging words! yes, it is true that there’s no request that i have turned down. there are still that i have spoken that needing a build and called it as unofficial wishlist… tho they are shy to demand, for they know im just only using my time. i sometimes share my screen too and do live building with them…

Yes i am open for community discussions about what to build and mutual ideas for common good!

i dive myself ingame or in twitter and seek for land owners who needs help, all the people i communicate with says good comments too… actually i see myself having too much stuff on my plate in the first month :joy: like if the community will know that there’s a granted project like this ppl can now say “Do me this, Do me that” “Do Crazy Stuff” :joy:

again matt thanks… your words means ALOT!

great proposal good luck

1 Like

I’m voting abstain, although I KNOW zCayel is an insanely talented builder, and we are seeing more and more of their work. You mentioned there is a 3D marketplace coming in the future, and I guess I would like to see how that is utilized, as it could be a really powerful tool for getting more interesting 3D assets in the hands of builders. Mattimus also brought up a really important point, that we should find a way to collaborate amongst the builder community to help as many people as possible.

I can attest first hand how talented zCayel is, and I think he can create anything someone would ask him to build!!!

1 Like

Hi @zCayel

I tried reaching you on discord to have this discussion privately so as to avoid any unnecessary public negativity or embarrassment, but unfortunately it seems you were not willing to reply.

While I think a proposal such as this may have some merit, I do have some concerns regarding yours.

In the comments you stated:

“this is a by request (custom)builds for our community members. i will be in service for those who are making a request and will continue building/curating until they are satisfied within the said specifics and land sizes within DCL’s limit and making it available for everyone.”

So, you explain that you will create 7 scenes during the cliff and 4 scenes a week for 6mo for a total of at least 31 scenes.

So, I have the following questions:
It looks like you are a one man show, as you have no team members listed. You are asking $30k for 6mo that is $1250 week.

You state you only have total 3yrs experience creating 3d build and only 4mo doing this full time.

You also state that you live in the Philippines, however according to a quick google search:

“In the Philippines, the average software developer salary is $7,936 per year or $661 per month. Junior developers are paid $5,256 per year and $438 per month”

So, your experience in 3d modeling would likely put you in, at very best, the “Junior developer” category.

So can you explain why are you asking the DCL DAO to pay you nearly 3x the salary per week ($1250), than you would likely earn in your area per month ($438)?

$438 per MONTH would be pay for a FULL-TIME junior software developer in the Philippines.

However, you are asking the DAO to pay you $1250 per WEEK!!

You are stating you will build ONE 1x1 or ONE 2x2 scene per week, which in all likelihood would not require you to work full-time. Also, you don’t state how many of each size scenes you’ll intend to build, because arguably a 2x2 should require at least 2x or more the effort right?

Since all of your grant funds will be paying for your labor, how do you justify asking for so much in labor (at least 12x more than your current market value), providing you did work Full-time every week for this grant money, than you’d be paid for similar work in the Philippines?

Also, you also explain that you’ll be making these builds on a as request basis.
What is to prevent DAO from paying you at least 12x more than they should to simply build scenes for all your friends?
What happens if there aren’t enough build requests?
I also see nothing in your proposal that would guarantee and specific level of quality. If there is no quality oversight, then it does in fact leave open the possibility that you may deliver low quality work some or all the time, just to meet you weekly/monthly quota to get your next payment, right?

I think, while a concept to provide the community with ready -made, easily modifiable builds is a good idea, I think this proposal is missing a lot of key elements and approving it would leave the DAO open to getting burned.
For the concerns I have above, I have to unfortunately vote ‘no’

1 Like

Ser, didn’t you vote to pay @Dhingia more money for fewer builds?

Seems cayel just forgot your bribe… what a shame.

@jar0d And it’s for these types of harassing and defamatory comments that you spew like diarrhea daily, that the community overwhelmingly voted on 2 separate polls to permanently ban you from this community

The comments you make never add any value to any conversation.

You have in the past been kicked out of DG community for being an disrespectful and annoying, you have been scolded like a child in the DCL DAO server so many times we all lost count, you’ve been muted, ignored, and spoken to privately, nothing seems to work with you. It seems evident that you have severe social interactions problems, and lack the requisite interpersonal communication skills to function normally inside a group.

The peanuts psychiatric help meme I posted in the server is not a joke, it’s a strong suggestion, because, imo, and the opinion of many many others, that there is a very good probability that you are mentally disturbed, and in severe need of professional help.

At least @Doug-NFTWorld was adult enough to ban you for a week for being harassing in the DCL foundation server, many in the DAO server wish @HPrivakos would take similar action too, but seems like he really enjoys the perpetual drama you bring to the DAO server; your like a contestant on a really bad reality TV show.

@esteban has called for you to be banned because he believes you are a danger to this platform.

But you have a great rest of your day annoying the hell out if people, at least you have a talent there.
Maybe next time ask for a grant to do that, at least we can all agree it’s the one thing you can actually do well.

That was a lot of words for “yes”

Guy currently muted on dao discord should probably look in the mirror.

Thank you @JayJayC!

Thank you @Canessa!!

Hey @RobL thank you for your feedback!

the salary you state above are minimum wage if one is hired in a company on their first day and my first DCL build was almost 3 years ago, while i made my first 3d models in 3d max then in maya more than 10 years ago when i was still in college, while i did my first 1x1 commission build almost 3 years ago with simple animations, one of my build was chosen and presented in eth denver 2021, i joined 2 sandstorm contest and won the second one 3rd place. the average or high en paying jobs whether what country is based will be able still have some learning curves before building stuffs in dcl, this is having a personal builder/creator for anyone.

there’s a lot of ideas for builds that has cultural value that hasn’t been done in DCL
if there is lacking build request, i will still make builds with said criteria. im also trying to be friends with everyone i talked in game and prepared to serve anyone whether you said yes or no in this project.

i will also hire someone if i was to get granted to help me build,
there also marketing involve (website, YT, twitter, FB) since people needs to know that’s there’s a 3d builds like these available for anyone to use.

i appreciate your comments, questions and feedbacks about the project as it opened to me what is lacking and what needs to be adjusted, i hope the community will follow your good example by providing such words.

Facts aren’t defamatory.

DCL Open Source & Community Request Builds

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 19% 2,195,969 VP (65 votes)
  • No 72% 7,763,302 VP (91 votes)
  • Abstain 9% 1,092,994 VP (18 votes)

Talking about facts it was already passed without a whale vote. @jar0d you just have selected a few individuals like me to harass on a daily basis.