[DAO:d037dc8] Decentraland Creators Workshop

by 0x41eb5f82af60873b3c14fedb898a1712f5c35366 (theankou)

Decentraland Creators Workshop is Discord Community that i want to build.

By creating this community I’ll put an end to all the problems related to 3D in Decentraland.

List of issues that new users encounter right now, when they start to create some in-world content.

• Lack of Support in Decentraland Discord

• Currently, there are no active support of users that encounter issues related to 3D. Curators rarely answer on questions. Lack of motivation…
  • Documentation Problems

• Outdated Data

• Lack of Addons and Scripts

• For example, we have emotes documentation, but i don’t see any scripts or addons that will allow users to convert Blender particles with keyframe animations, to objects attached to bones with keyframes.
    • Lack of in-depth information about 3D modelling, texturing, animation… (issues in process of creating models, weight painting problems and rules, texel density, mipmaps, texture compression, alpha, etc)

• Awesome Repository Problem

• It’s good to have GitHub repo with all the links to repositories, but for now it feels like infinite landing page. Easy to miss something.
      • Because of that, users miss all important thing that other creators made through grant proposals (It was challenging for me to find addons made by PunkPink)
      • I’m sure that new users will have several questions about any things listed in repository, but no one will answer for their questions here.
    • Videos Problem

• Link in documentation doesn’t work. Looks like YouTube channel is deleted.
      • Because of that, there is no guarantee that educational content that someone made will always exist.
      • Lack of really good tutorials related to 3D content.
      • I had no luck to find any tutorials made from community. I just can’t see videos that, for example, Malloy made.
  • Test Servers Problem

• Currently, SDK7 and Wearables In-World are not equal to live client. This cause many different issues, like textures downscale, different rendering of emission, old UI.
  • Problem with current grant proposals related to 3D.

• For past couple of months there were several grant proposals where creators wanted to do repository, won grant, and then we end up with low quality content that nobody actually use.
  • Studios

• Page is great, but great for big companies and big projects.
    • Each Studio use their own Discord channel, thats a huge problem for casual user that wants simple wearable from simple creator.
    • Usually, from my experience, studios ignore customers with small requests and small budgets.

Thats just a couple of issues, there are many more and we as community will focus on their solutions.

I’m planning to invest grant money to this things:

• Discord Channel:

• Activity and Support
    • Discord Bot
    • Topics Setup (for documentation, for videos, for github, everything will be available as simple as possible. Needed topics for needed info.)
    • Other things related to Discord and Discord issues
  • GitHub Repositories:

• High-quality content available for everyone. No more low-quality. No more low-quality grant proposals.
      • Base Meshes, High Quality Models, Whatever… (Everything related to Decentraland)
      • Addons, Scripts, Source Files for Blender, Substance Painter, ETC
      • Created by community and curated by pros. With love.
  • In-depth documentation about 3D:

• Always up-to-date documentation.
    • Everything we need to know about complex things written as simple as possible, but at the same time in-depth as possible.
    • Tips and Tricks
    • Guidelines for things in GitHub Repositories
  • Video Tutorials:

• Large amount of video tutorials. Starts with basics, ends with complex things.
    • Guidelines for things in GitHub Repositories
  • Monthly interviews:

• With Decentraland Creators and Studios.
    • With Creators and maybe famous Creators outside Decentraland.
  • Educational streams:

• Weekly or monthly streams with Q/A and educational content from creators
  • Creators meetings

• Just a meetings where creators will be able to speak with each other
  • Support meetings

• Sometimes it’s not enough just to write simple solution to user in chat. There might be users that would like to get step by step solution in meeting.
  • Purchase and Share of Educational Content, Scripts, Addons, from Popular Websites like Artstation, Gumroad available for whole community. Only worth stuff. No Garbage.

• Not only community creators will do content. I will do content too.
    - I, as owner of discord and creator of this proposal will focus on encountering and solving issues related to creators, discord, documentation, etc.
    - I, as creator, as senior 3d artist, will do everything listed above. I will do my maximum, with my soul.

Of course i wont deal with everything alone. I will ask Decentraland community members and Decentraland creators and i will pay them fair price.

This is a long-term proposal, that will require more than 6 or 12 months. It’s not about fast and short solution. It’s about building a creators community.

More ideas will appear as soon as community will be created and will raise.

I want to hear community opinion, before creating polished grant proposal.

I want to publish grant proposal at first week of January, perfect date would be 01 January 2024. I truly believe in my proposal and see many pros for community. I truly believe in Decentraland and i will stay here as creator till the end.

My grant expectations starts from 150000$ yearly, or 15000$ per month, and of course, every cost will be transparent as possible. We are in cryptoworld, we have sings and transactions…

I’m not sure if thats a fair price, small price, or big price. Maybe 20k, 30k per month would be better and will allow to do more complex and expensive things, like asking for famous creators for interview, or doing researches in different spheres like in-depth 3D scan and 3D printing information.

Thank you!

• Your idea is great, thats a next level for Decentraland community!
  • Your idea is garbage, community feels good as is.
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

You should ask for 1 Trillion Dollar? You deserve more!

1 Like

Hey @ArtReYou! :rofl:

I’m just asking about worth amount of money for grant, because i’m not sure that 15k$ is enough, problem here is that some interviews might cost already more than 500$ or 1000$, the same issue with tutorials, repositories etc.

Of course some months will have more or less activities, but at least i will try to make most of them as stable as possible, and this might be expensive.
My opinion is that 15k$ is good start for first months tests and tries, and if everything go well, i think amount of money should be increased… Of course it doesnt mean that all monthly balance will be spent each month. In bad months money will be saved for next months. We will see whats the best solution with the progress of channel and all the listed stuff.

Also i will need to pay some monthly salaries for all creators that will be active in different things like streaming, active chat responses, active support meetings, etc

So, feels like 15k$ is not enough in long-term…

How does it compare with DecentralEd

@theankou This will be complete waste of decentraland funds it looks like most of the funds is going in your pocket. I think we can do the same thing for $5000 per month… That is too much money to be wasted…

Well, I first time hear about DecentralEd… where I can take a look? I can’t find it stated in current docs

Our community will cover much more aspects than decentraled, as I think

We will do GitHub repositories with really good content, community will be able to vote if it’s worth or not. That also reduce amount of money spent through grant proposals, because everything will be done through our community, and with real pros that will be easy to filter good and bad models and other things. Also, each repository will be explained will have guidelines in discord ”forum” and in GitHub description

We will have discord forums, for each category “documentation, guides, addons”, whatever, each forum will be monthly updated with important and useful information

Current docs don’t even say how you can upload archive with glb properly. I encounter issues as more as deep I read current docs. Our community will write up to date and useful docs that will answer on all questions related to things that not mentioned in currently available docs.

Also we will have streams, interviews, meeting supports where creators will guide step by step every user that encounters any problems during creation of 3D stuff, or animations

And that’s just couple of things. From my side, the most valuable point here is that our community will reduce waste of money on 3D grants that in the end provide nothing high-quality. I think that’s a huge impact, especially when bear times will end.

Discord channels, as for me, is the really powerful tool, just because you can do everything here. Meetings, docs, tutorials, active support.

As for me, for now, the one thing that’s not very well managed in Decentraland is creators community. If you would try to do models by yourself, through guidelines, in very sure, that you will encounter lots of issues. Starting from “am I able to update my collection after publication?” and ending with “why the hell my code works in local server and do nothing on live”, or the most weird thing “why builder say that I can upload ZIP, but my zip doesn’t work?”, you will spent hours to find information, deep diving through docs. And then you will notice that you need wearable.json file.

You can tell that it’s stated in “Smart Wearables” but why I should care about that, if I want to upload simple wearable as gltf file? Not Smart Wearable, not linked wearable.

The same problem with creating of animations. As more as you dive in, the more issues you will encounter, the more questions you will get.

I, as committee curator, receive lots of messages with questions in PM

Idea of creating community and do active support, is about providing up-to-date solution for all this things

Is DecentralEd do that? Just a remind, I can’t even find link. I even didn’t know about that before you wrote a message.

Update:

@HPrivakos i found proposal for DecentralEd, and for me, it seems that it covers other aspects of decentraland, more global things

My idea covers only in-depth aspects of 3D development, as well as animations (that’s the part of 3D), texturing, baking, source files, addons, and everything related to that, that’s a whole different “zone” of decentraland development

For now we have DAO, CBD, and Decentraland discords, they don’t cover in-depth stuff related to 3D development, they can’t support users in details about 3D, they are more focused on creating stable events, encouraging community, making Decentraland alive.

Creators community is different story that covers issues related to 3D development and allow newcomers to learn all aspects, use base meshes, source files, addons, and get result with as less issues as possible, because community will provide support.

Funds will go to creators, not in my pocket. We are in crypto world, we have sings and transactions. Transparency.

As I wrote, I will do couple of things for GitHub and for docs, rest stuff will be done by community with my “curation”, every member of community that do things will receive salary from grant.

95% of grant money will go to community members and creators that support users. It’s not about “money in my pocket” I don’t care about money, I care about creators community in decentraland.

Yes, maybe I will receive 5% of money, just because I will do things as creator, and will maintain whole discord community, as well as GitHub, as well as documentations, as well as sorting bad and good things, creating meetings, searching for creators, etc, etc

There is nothing about “money in my pocket”

When I say “curation” it doesn’t mean something bad. I mean that we with community will decide, do polls, provide support

If one of creator would like to create a grant proposal, we will be able to vote if that’s good idea or not, if that’s good idea that needs to be polished, we will be able to help creator to do that, sorry, maybe I’m writing this not very clearly for now.

It’s about community, not about “money in my pocket”

By the way: You can do addons, meetings, tutorials, text guides, interviews, base meshes and models available for everyone, just for 5000$ per month? Good joke! I’m very excited to see that HQ content :joy::joy::joy:

Yeah I can do that We don’t charge people commission for getting them job.

We can easily do it in $5000 per month because I have seen your quality…

(You have a lot of mana and you voted on your proposal by yourself because of which you are in lead.
This is the biggest joke. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :rofl: :joy: )

I have 20k points that means nothing in pre-proposal, especially when there are whales with million points

if you do care about that, I will remove my vote :slight_smile:

What about quality, you’re wrong here. You don’t know how much stuff I made as 3D Team Lead. I have 12 years experience in that sphere. If I will start listing all the things that I made here in DCL as 3D artist for last 2 years (and my whole team of 3D artists that I curate every day, guide them, and teach them), you will be crazy :sweat_smile::rofl:

Alright, cool, you tell me that you will be able to do monthly

• monthly GitHub repositories with models that have baked textures, well done UVs, optimised triangulation, source files like substance painter, option to combine this models with each other and keep 1 material and 1 texture, and have modular UV and many more different things, with High Quality result.
  • monthly and weekly interviews and streams
  • in-depth documentation with video tutorials that will be monthly updated
  • active support and answer on all questions that people will write in discord
  • active meetings between creators and users
  • purchase addons, good tutorials and share them for everyone
  • and all the rest things

Cool. If your team that cheap, I’m very sad about them.

But as for me, all things that I listed should do different people and get fair payment.

For example to do interview stream you should find creators, deal with them, find an interviewer that will do interview and ask important questions. And all that stuff should be paid. It’s already more than 1000$ just for 1-2 interviews per month.
If not more.

And some people would like to do models and base meshes for GitHub, not just me. This people will need to be paid. And that’s much better than doing another grant proposal for $$$. Instead of wasting more and more money for unknown result, my community will provide guaranteed quality stuff for less amount of money.

You just lie that you can do all the things that I listed for 5k$ per month
That’s my opinion.

And as I told, not all the money will be spent during month, and this money won’t go “in my pocket”, they will stay for next months and will be used the best way as possible, to be useful for users and creators, and community.

My solution of listed problems, as for me, is very good for dao, because everything related to 3D will be listed in one big discord community. And amount of lost money for unknown result of some 3D model repositories will be decreased. And that amount of money is much more than i ask.

It’s very simple for me. I better pay 15k$ per month for a guy or a whole team of creators that will maintain whole process about 3D (support, streams, addons, source files, etc), than I will pay 50k$ to random guy that will do “garbage models” repository with monthly delays and later will disappear with money.

The idea is great, but the $150K price tag for it needs to be negotiated. Plus, CBD discord has become a great resource for all creators and builders in Decentraland, so this may have some overlap in content.

4 Likes

A monthly salary of $15,000.00 to $30,000.00 would pay you more than even the grant support squad is making currently. The current annual wage in the United States is around $70,000.00, that means in two months you’d be almost at a yearly salary.

While I think making wearables is important, this is too high. Can you tell us how much money has been made annually by selling wearables in the marketplace? Also, can you tell us how you arrived at the price tag of charging $15,000.00 to $30,000.00 per month? If you worked 8 hours a day for 20 working days in a month, this means you are charging $500 per hour to create this workshop.

3 Likes

Hi @maryana, @Canessa! Thank you for your opinion, i was waiting for it!

I think you both are right and for first 3-6 months, price should be less or around 10k$. To be able to start this project.

As i told, the main focus of my community is solution for current problems related to 3D and especially to grant proposals about 3D

I end up with 15k$ or 30k$ because this things will be the most expensive:

@Canessa

• github repositories. Imagine that there are 3-4 creators that do library of free models at the same time, each of this creators should be monthly paid. If payment will be small (aka 200$-300$ per month) that wont solve issue with grant proposals. So, here i can say that work on high-quality content for github starts from 1000$ per month for creator, in my expectations.I wont be able to pay them fair price, if budget will be small. Thats means that there will be more risk that project will be undone.

• additionally to that, there will be source files, guidelines, tutorials, scripts, addons, thats needs to be prepared as extra useful stuff for github repositories. My expectations here starts from 150$ - 500$.

• this will be done on discord forums, and on github, they need some preparations for user-friendly look, it’s not that simple as it sounds.
  • i want to purchase some good tutorials for community and share them.

• creators will do their own video tutorials.

If i’m not wrong, thats already much cheaper than another one scam grant proposal for 30k$ - 50k$. And thats is enough for me, to tell, that this is a huge impact for DAO. I dont think we should compare it with amount of sold wearables. Currently DAO lost tons of money for useless stuff related to 3D. And my community will try to reduce this expenses, by prodividng the most useful and needed info / assets.

And thats just about github and documentation. Sorry if i’m not very clear, because there are lots of information, aspects that my community will cover.

We have a whole new story for Decentraland community, and thats:

• streams from creators, related only to 3D development
  • interviews with creators and famous creators outside Decentraland related only to 3D and in-depth information about that.

As i know, thats not that cheap as it sounds. I know that interviewers or creators won’t tell any information for free or for small price. So, this thing will require fair payment. Im not sure whats fair here, but as for me, starts from 500$+, because famous creators won’t do interview that cheap. Imagine if i will contact and invite Rafael Grasseti (Team Lead of God of War game), im sure, that he wont do interview for 500$.

Thats the two most expensive things for me. Especially GitHub.

Discord channel itself should be maintained too, active creators that provide support, do meetings, help with documentation, etc, will be paid for that too. I wont do everything alone. I will build community, where every creator will do several things for payment.

@maryana I dont think CBD should expand Discord with stuff related to 3D. Instead, there should be separated Discord Community that covers only this aspect of Decentraland. There are tons of things related to 3D, that should be done, and if we will update Decentraland or CBD discord, it will be very overloaded with information. My idea is not about expand of current communities, my idea is to create community of pros at one exact sphere related to 3D in Decentraland, users will be able to join here, search for all needed information, and start doing things with active support from creators.

Yeah, looks like thats all what i can say for now. I’m really happy that you both wrote questions for me.
The main idea is to build very well managed discord community related to 3D, with all the needed info in one place. What about money, yeah, we can end up with worth amount of money for everyone. I came here with this proposal because i just want to do something special and useful for Decentraland. I want to provide a solution for listed problems. I’m not looking for “money in my pocket”. Money will go to different creators of community.

Decentraland Creators Workshop

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Your idea is great, thats a next level for decentraland community! 58% 2,372,780 VP (36 votes)
  • Your idea is garbage, community feels good as is. 1% 2 VP (2 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 41% 1,666,384 VP (7 votes)

While proposal is finished, i’m still waiting for more opinions here, before i will publish final grant for approval.
Current TL:DR of current discussion and proposal itself is:

• Budget will be lowered for first 6 months (my expectations starts from 5000$-7000$)
  • Main idea is to minimise DAO expenses on garbage grants related to 3D
  • User friendly library of things (YouTube Tutorials, DOCS, GitHub Assets)
  • Creators of the community will be paid from grant money to do things mentioned above, 90% - 95% of grant money will go to creators and supporters
  • This is not replacement for current docs, thats additional library with in-depth information about each aspect related to 3D
  • For now it covers only things related to 3D, Animations and maybe 2D
  • Link to discord community should be added to current docs, awesome repository, and all decentraland related official discords

High-Priority things that requires grant budget:

• GitHub Repositories with High-Quality things (assets made by community, paid from grant budget money) (most budget will go here, to creators with great ideas)
  • Documentation with explanation of things
  • Guidelines and video-tutorials for documentation and github repositories
  • Addons and Tutorials made by creators or bought from creators outside Decentraland
  • ChatGPT created addons
  • Active Support of Users by providing answer on questions, or doing meetings with them for issues solving
  • Discord Maintain

Low-Priorty things that i wont focus for first couple of months, but still will try to implement:

• streams
  • interviews

Decentraland Creators Workshop

This proposal has been PASSED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfb1afa4dc069ffb47b19dbee196045d508fcd5a2)