[DAO:ec3b819] Rebuttal Voting Period for Whale Votes in final 24 hours

by 0xa4244f6711052752e6bb0271bf17c756e6598406 (FlyingLotus)

Should there be a rebuttal period (24-78 hour extension of voting) for proposal which have their outcome flipped by whales in the final 24-78 hour period of voting.

In the past, whales have used their vote in the last minutes to prevent any other voters, or even the community, to come together to flip their single handed decision.

Should we extend the voting period for proposals in the occurrence of a whale vote flip in the ending period of a proposal?

• Yes
  • No
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

1 Like

Interesting idea here. A few questions:

1. How do you think we should account for the potential of flip-flop voting being used to essentially “filibuster” a proposal, with a Whale moving their votes back and forth, perpetually extending the voting period for a 24-78 hour period.

2. What VP threshold would you classify as “whale vote” as?

3. Would this just pertain to a whale vote “flipping” - meaning changing its existing vote - or any whale vote being made?

3 Likes

Interesting idea, worth more discussion, I voted yes just to show my little support, (my vote probably not gonna change anything) but this proposal clearly needs more polishing.

I would def be interested to discuss this more, maybe before proposing this in a poll, it could become a deeper conversation to really figure out what this would all entail.

I do also have similar questions to @Matimio, there should def be parameters around this. Is this something that can be requested? Or will it be automated? What does this process look like? Is it a grace period to dispute? What happens after? If the rebuttal goes through, then what?

Would love to know what others are thinking.

IMO I’d be interested in a grace period, with a dispute feature. Classify it as whales of say 1 million or more? What I’m not sure about is what to do after the rebuttal phase, does it go to a recount without the whale being able to vote? Or a new clean vote entirely and anyone can vote? What’s the most democratic / decentralized way to work through this. I think we shouldn’t try to limit anyone from voting, but I understand how whales have taken out communities impact, without regard, at times.

So yes somone that has been effected by this twice recently:
1st when @RobL voted No with his 4M VP. Said was going to change to yes if I got 3.5M or more yes VP (which we did later on) but went back on his word last minute and decided to keep it No. and
2nd time when we got above the 4M VP required on our 3rd attempt on the Decentraland Dino’s then @Seanny waited until less then 1 hour to nuke us with his 4M VP and voted No.

Yes, very frustrating lol. I think something like this would kinda of help which is why I am voting yes but in reality this will prob get voted down and even if it does pass wont really change anything since, whatever the whales say goes. Extended rebuttle period or not as the current system stands this is their world and we just in it.

hahaha @KevinOnEarth you gotta give it to @Tobik at least he didn’t wait till last min to vote this down with his 4M VP LOL.

how do you know that’s tobik?

also…lol that a whale voted no on this :joy: :sob:

2 Likes

uh because he owns the name Tobik hahah. @Tobik is the whale bro @dax
Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 10.36.23 AM

@Seanny be like: Phew relief. I don’t gotta keep my alarm clock to go off to remind me when there is minutes to spare to vote this down anymore.

haha wow so my bad, scratch that @dax . I am use to it just seeing the names and just yes or no. i saw the name and assumed it was the wallet, not who someone voted for. i think this is a sign i need to finally get some sleep.

Rebuttal Voting Period for Whale Votes in final 24 hours

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 1% 66,854 VP (62 votes)
  • No 98% 5,153,172 VP (142 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 1% 39,811 VP (4 votes)

Rebuttal Voting Period for Whale Votes in final 24 hours

This proposal has been REJECTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xbef99f5f55cf7cdb3a70998c57061b7e1386a9b0)