[DAO:a8482c6] Intensive course for Decentraland in Spanish, teaching 3D and TypeScript

by 0x7e22d9514a99793e80d4fb5e3a9dfd4931f47c4c (TonyDarko#7c4c)

Should the following Tier 1: up to $1,500 USD in MANA, one-time payment grant in the Community category be approved?

Abstract

Currently, there are few resources available in Spanish for those interested, and the Hispanic community is an important part of Decentraland as Spanish is the 3rd most spoken language in the world. With our course, we can provide an accessible and quality learning opportunity for the Hispanic community, fostering inclusion and diversity. Additionally, by offering this course in Spanish, we are making an effort to reach a wider and more diverse audience.

Participants in the low poly 3D modeling course can learn to create attractive models and content and use them in applications developed with the Decentraland SDK by participants in the TypeScript course.

Grant size

1,500 USD

Beneficiary address

0x7e22d9514a99793E80D4FB5E3A9Dfd4931F47c4c

Email address

tonydarko.ventas@gmail.com

Description

The three-month intensive TypeScript course focused on using the Decentraland SDK and the low poly 3D modeling course in Blender have the potential to have a significant impact on the Spanish-speaking Decentraland community and the development of applications on this platform.
Both courses will be taught in Spanish and will be divided into three modules, each module consisting of 8 classes including a Q&A class to address any questions and provide a space for discussion and collaboration.
The purpose is to provide participants with the tools and knowledge needed to develop high-quality applications and content in Decentraland and to allow them to fully take advantage of the opportunity to create and monetize their work on this platform. In addition, the fact that the course is taught in Spanish will allow a large number of Spanish-speaking users to participate and benefit from this knowledge.
One way these courses can be complementary is through the integration of low poly 3D models into applications developed with the Decentraland SDK.
Intensive Typescript course focused on the Decentraland SDK

Intensive
3 modules (24 classes)

Introduction to Typescript:

In this section, the basic concepts of Typescript will be covered, including data types, variables, operators, and flow control structures.

Object-oriented programming in Typescript:

In this section, the concepts of object-oriented programming in Typescript will be covered, including classes, inheritance, and polymorphism.

Use of the Decentraland SDK with Typescript:

Dive into the use of the Decentraland SDK with Typescript, covering topics such as the use of smart contracts, interaction with the Ethereum network, development of games and applications in Decentraland, creation of immersive environments, integration of audio, video effects, and interaction with other users.

Deployment and publication of applications in Decentraland:

How to deploy and publish applications in Decentraland, including the use of deployment tools and the publication process on the platform.
Low poly 3D modeling course in blender for decentraland

Intensive 3-Module Course (24 classes)

The theoretical classes will cover everything from basic concepts to advanced topics, and each class will include time dedicated to practice and problem-solving. The Q&A sessions could be an opportunity for students to ask specific questions and receive personalized feedback on their projects and doubts.

Module 1 (one month):
Introduction to Blender and Decentraland.
Basic concepts of 3D low poly design.
Basic object modeling in Blender.
Creating materials and textures in Blender.

Module 2 (one month):
Advanced object and character modeling in Blender.
Object and character animation in Blender.
Creating scenes and landscapes in Blender.
Importing and exporting files in Decentraland.

Module 3 (one month):
Creating interactions and special effects in Decentraland.
Publishing and promoting content in Decentraland.
Practical exercises and final projects.

Specification

Typescript:
Class 1: Introduction to Typescript and setting up the development environment.
Class 2: Data types in Typescript and variables.
Class 3: Operators and expressions in Typescript.
Class 4: Flow control structures in Typescript.
Class 5: Object-oriented programming in Typescript.
Class 6: Interfaces and generic types in Typescript.
Class 7: Introduction to the Decentraland SDK and the Decentraland platform.
Class 8: Questions and answers.
Class 9: Using smart contracts in Decentraland with Typescript.
Class 10: Creating applications and content for Decentraland with Typescript.
Class 11: Interacting with the Ethereum network in Decentraland with Typescript.
Class 12: Creating immersive environments in Decentraland with Typescript.
Class 13: Integrating audio and video effects in Decentraland with Typescript.
Class 14: Interacting with other users in Decentraland with Typescript.
Class 15: Developing games in Decentraland with Typescript.
Class 16: Questions and answers.
Class 17: Using Deployment Tools for Applications in Decentraland.
Class 18: Process of Publishing Applications in Decentraland.
Class 19: Monetizing Applications in Decentraland.
Class 20: Marketing and Promotion Strategies in Decentraland.
Class 21: Analyzing and Improving Applications in Decentraland.
Class 22: Decentraland DAO, Community Participation.
Class 23: Questions and Answers. In this class, we will open a space for questions and answers on the topics covered so far in the course.
Class 24: Conclusions
3D:
Class 1: Introduction to Blender and Decentraland.
Class 2: Low poly 3D design basics
Class 3: Basic Object Modeling in Blender
Class 4: Creating Materials and Textures in Blender
Class 5: Advanced object and character modeling in Blender.
Class 6: Object and character animation in Blender.
Class 7: Creating scenes and landscapes in Blender.
Class 8: Importing and exporting files to the Decentraland builder
Class 9: Creating interactions and special effects in Decentraland
Class 10: Designing immersive experiences in Decentraland.
Class 11: Publishing and promoting content in Decentraland.
Class 12: Practical exercises and final projects.
There will be a Q&A session after each class to address specific questions.

The ideal profile for those who want to take the low poly 3D design course in Blender for Decentraland and the typescript programming course could include the following:

Interest in 3D design and creating content for virtual platforms such as Decentraland.
Basic knowledge of design and digital art, either through studies or practical experience.
Problem-solving and logical thinking skills to understand and apply the technical concepts of the course.
Fluency in Spanish, as the course is focused on the Spanish-speaking community.
As for the previous knowledge that students should have to take the course, it is recommended that they have at least:
A PC compatible with Decentraland, Blender, Visual Studio, python 3. (Windows. Mac, Linux)
Internet connection
Basic knowledge of programming and programming logic in Typescript or a similar programming language.
It is important to note that this course is intensive and will require significant dedication and effort on the part of the students.
full document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lrVN7WuGw3MN68OZYk_IabD6RG7hZsS1/view?usp=share_link

Personnel

Meet Tony Darko (Project Manager, 3D Designer) Graphic Designer with over 4 years of experience with Blender, creator of Darko Studio, Designer for “Calaverse,” festival in DCL, verified partner for the DAO proposal, selected for MVFW 2022 and DCL Film Club 2022, part of the Imagine to Create project (DCL galery/launcher), my 3D work has been exhibited at theaterLab in New York (2021) and in the Luminaria Contemporary Arts Festival in Texas.

Roadmap and milestones

Fundamentals of Typescript and the Decentraland SDK Module 1: (1 month, 8 classes)
Development of Applications and Content in Decentraland Module 2: (1 month, 8 classes)
Publishing and monetizing applications on Decentraland Module 3: (1 month, 8 classes)
Introduction to Blender and Decentraland Module 1: (1 month, 8 classes)
Wearables, Emotes and Scenes Module 2: (1 month, 8 classes)
3D scenes in Decentraland Module 3: (1 month, 8 classes)

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

1 Like

Full support, vote yes.
In the dcl community there is potential and we need more people with initiatives and being able to reach the Spanish language like ours is important, receiving comments, contributions, advice, etc.

2 Likes

Fully YES. We are 480 Million Spanish speakers around the world. It’s a small investment that may have a high impact. Great initiative, guys.
Btw, I’d love to read the argument of those members voting NO.

1 Like

I also don’t understand the people who vote no to this proposal that seeks to give a lot of value to a large community (Spanish speakers in decentraland) with a very low grant. I think it is a dynamic that consists of blocking any activity that is not the interest of 4 jealous whales. Then they complain that there are few users in decentraland. Anyway, they will wake up, this will not stop the true Latino, Spanish or Martian creators.

Ah… I vote yes!!

2 Likes

Voting no, yes 1,500 usd is not a lot in certain parts of the world - in others its considered quite the amount. Aside from asking for 3 separate grants all at the same time (for a total of 60k USD), reason for me to vote no on this is as followed:

I believe Sango’s Tutorials are great to use if looking to get into blender and modelling for DCL as far as wearables goes. I recall Sango (who received a grant for these tutorials already Full process wearable creation and submission tutorials) suggesting to Lucasol (another grantee for spanish speaking content) to translate and dub the already made videos into spanish. I believe this is a lot more cost efficient to DAO rather than to keep funding the same props, to translate and dub not just in Spanish but in every languange every possible tutorial video in DCL whether that’s how to make wearables, scenes/builds or using the sdk.

1 Like

Hi @Sannin,

I think is not about translating tutorials, actually is not about a tutorial,
there a lot of tutorials and there will be a lot more.

This proposal is about an intensive course where there is a teacher and people can ask and can interact with each other. That is much more enriching than a translation of a tutorial. Students who sign up for a course have a greater commitment and that can make the decentraland community grow in number and quality of creators.

Also, as you can see in the discord conversation that you yourself have pasted here, the problem of many Spanish-speaking decentralanders is that they don’t speak any English, this proposal talks about breaking barriers.

Another thing, there are 36 classes for 1500 USD, that is, 41.67 USD per class plus all the additional content that could be received.
It does not seem unreasonable to me, it is the smallest grant.

It’s always the same, everyone understands what they want and sees it as they want.
thanks for the discussion :wink:

2 Likes

Never said this is about that, I’m saying I see a lot more beneficial to go thru translation and dubbing of existing video content rather than to fund the Spanish version of what you are proposing since it’s already created and could be applied to every language, do we have an idea of how many users/people would actually sign up or join this course currently?

As far as the budget goes there’s 2 more grants being asked by same party and i don’t specifically have an issue with the budget rather than what’s being proposed…again.

If it makes sense, avoiding this going forward:
A Spanish course grant this time, then next time a Portuguese one, then a German one and so on, when we can easily just translate and dub the content we have now into every language possible.

1 Like

If you review the documentation provided by Tony, you will see that 50 people from different parts of the world signed up in 48 hours. I think he rightly checked if there was interest before submitting the proposal.

I tell you again that a tutorial has nothing to do with a course where you have a teacher and classmates with whom you develop a project and have a commitment to attend.

Your proposal about translating is good too but is another thing. Maybe similar but not the same definitely.

The thing about the three proposals at the same time is because the three proposals where one before and Esteban (founder) asked to separate them.

Think again please in people like Lucas or other pioneers that would like to add more value in dcl but the wall of the language does not let them. It is even difficult for me to write this post correctly so that you understand me well.

Remember that Spanish is the third language most spoken in the world.

Thanks again!!

1 Like

Rarely click on these links. This is good though. For the record I’m not oppose to offering these. I’m oppose to having more grants being given out for this going forward. Every time 1500 usd under the excuse that is not much which again it might not be to some.

You can tell me a course is better than tutorials and I agree, again I would rather have the content that exist already translated and dubbed rather than to fund more 1500 usd grants for same type of proposals. Like I said today we have a course for Spanish tomorrow one for French and the next day in Italian and so on.

I speak Spanish - it’s my first language.

Look into MrBeast’s (YouTuber) localization/dubbing strategy

1 Like

I would welcome courses in all the languages ​​that are in demand, for example I speak Basque but I don’t think a course is necessary because there are hardly any Basques in decentraland. Better this proposal than another game click to earn or give mana to distribute as rewards of an LP. I think education is key in the development of a community.
Un saludo amigo :v:

2 Likes

lol funny how this always comes up with you guys. Suerte!

2 Likes

I love the idea of educational classes in DCL, and ones in Spanish is a great idea.

What I’m concerned about, is the team submitting multiple proposals for different projects at the same time. I don’t think people should do multiple grants at once, as it runs a higher risk of failure and revocation.

We’ve seen this happen before in the DAO, and we are still awaiting funds back from that group now. For that reason I will be voting no.

1 Like

Wondering what happened to the sdk classes/courses being offered ? Not sure by who if by foundation or some other group but was told this by the Verified Partners Squad. A program to learn and even get paid for your work as you learned.

1 Like

hello, our initial proposal was just one but they recommended us to divide it, there were people interested in a specific project but not in another, I agree that it would be better to have only one and that is why we had done it that way.

Regarding your comment @Sannin, your analogy with the mrbeast strategy seems wrong to me, firstly because you are comparing educational content with entertainment, on the other hand, there is more than one way to design wearables and program functions, if you read our syllabus, we teach first blender and typescript in general, then we focus on decentraland, the current content (mostly) presupposes a knowledge base that many interested people do not have.
On the other hand, many existing tutorials use Substance painter, which is paid software, we propose a 100% workflow with tools inside blender.
Taking into account what you say, the content will be recorded and subtitled in English so that more people can access it.
And finally, as I said, there is more than one way to be able to design things in blender, I am going to give you an example, for the meckaduck I used one of the DCL textures, however I made the UVs smaller, stretched them and modified them accordingly. in such a way that I got interesting gradients and effects even though technically it would be a mistake to do that with the UVs, however understanding the DCL doc and how a Game Ready model works, we can do this kind of thing, that kind of “tricks” They are the ones that I would also explain.

At the time of writing this we have more than 80 people enrolled in the course, there is clearly an interest in learning from the Spanish-speaking community.

Not comparing the two, what I am saying is it might be better to translate and dub the content that already exists rather than to have this and many more grants for educational purposes on the same content just different languages DAO/Funds wise. Just my personal opinion.

Intensive course for Decentraland in Spanish, teaching 3D and TypeScript.

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 23% 542,300 VP (92 votes)
  • No 77% 1,751,915 VP (72 votes)

Hola @TonyDarko , I just want to say I would have loved to see this idea pass and $1500 is a minute price to pay for onboarding the amount of people you have interested. With the amount of money we spend on games and other projects that bring in far less lon-term value, I’m amazed this didn’t pass. I agree the Spanish-speaking community in DCL is largely ignored and having this kind of immersive community-building educational event is KEY to attracting a diverse group of builders that will remain for the long-haul. Please don’t give up. I am active in the Spanish channel, feel free to reach out if there is anything I can do to help.

2 Likes