[DAO:9edc64c] Eth Names as Unique Names

by 0x77cfb387ac4f3490e911f6fb51b030777e85f238 (CryptoCubeMan)

I propose we allow Eth names to be used as unique names in Decentraland. With the recent Implementation of “Worlds” to Eth names I’m surprised this doesn’t already exist. Maybe it’s in the works maybe not. Either way I wanted to shed some light on the subject. Not only will this just be another cool feature. It also resolves my previous proposal to lengthen unique names. I’m realizing now this maybe the only way to lengthen unique names. Considering DCL names are Eth Names only with .DCL.ETH instead of just .ETH. Allowing Eth names will give users the ability to add more characters to their name. For users who preferred name exceeds the current limit of 15 characters. This will allow us to have names of 18 characters. Making it possible for me to finally present my real Artist Name “OfficialCryptoCube”.
Certainly not certain but personally feel like. This shouldn’t effect the sales of DCL names. As it’s still a better deal for one trying to create a “World”. Considering Eth names have a lease policy & DCL names are forever.
Please Help me upvote this Idea Fam! For 3 years I’ve been hoping to present my Artist name proper and It’s still not possible Lets make that change. #2024 :ice_cube:

• Implement Eth Names As Unique Names
  • Do Not Implement Eth Names As Unique Names
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

1 Like

Wow this proposal seems to be losing by a land slide. But why this seems like nothing but a plus what’s even the down side? Could someone please explain why their against this. It’s nothing but a benefit for the community. :thinking:

1 Like

Only downside I have realized is this could create duplicates of the same name. Which could be easily resolved by adding the .Eth to the end of the name.

1 Like

I guess some people don’t want their dcl names being worth less…
Maybe owning a dcl name becomes less valuable if you can just own the same .eth…
This proposal needs to be more in depth on how it’s implemented as well…

1 Like

Thank You for your opinion @BET only thing is though you can already mint the same .eth as .dcl.eth
And as far as implementing it the devs know exactly what to do. Simple text prompts was the first and easiest code to wright in DCL I would imagine. What do I need to explain I’m not a coder. Only issue I see is .eth would need to be displayed in game to prevent duplicates

Also trying to figure out what value these names really hold anyway. Other than the ability to have a unique name,bragging rights,and build a World. There is none. Many Metaverses have mintable names. And the fact that .Eth names have already been implemented to Worlds Means the only value left is to have a unique name. Which would still exist. The real value was lost when foundation added eth names to Worlds. But their partnered up so it makes sense. People keep saying things like dcl names are the staple of dcl. But how so when I own the exact same name in CryptoVoxels :thinking: The real staple of dcl was the community which is slowly falling apart. :slightly_frowning_face: All of this is just for fun anyway as the foundation has already openly admitted DAO has no say in anything anyway regardless of the outcome of these votes. I get the feeling this may be implemented anyway as they have already added .eth names to Worlds & they are partners.

Eth Names as Unique Names

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Implement eth names as unique names 2% 121,391 VP (15 votes)
  • Do not implement eth names as unique names 76% 3,733,560 VP (35 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 22% 1,133,278 VP (3 votes)

Eth Names as Unique Names

This proposal has been REJECTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfb1afa4dc069ffb47b19dbee196045d508fcd5a2)