Should the following $30,000 grant in the Sponsorship category be approved?
The Decentraland Foundation will be hosting and primarily funding the first Decentraland Community Summit in Argentina over 3 days, May 22-24, 2024. The purpose of this Summit is to facilitate discussion and collaboration, gather insight and feedback, celebrate community achievements, and lay foundations for the future of Decentraland.
The goal of this grant would be for the DAO to secure the main sponsor spot of the Decentraland Community Summit, which will otherwise be primarily funded by the Foundation and other partners.
30,000 USD in DAI
The majority of the main sponsor funds will be allocated to covering travel costs for a limited number of Decentraland Community Summit attendees most in need, ensuring more equal representation of the community at the event. Remaining funds will help to cover the operational costs of the Summit.
The Decentraland Community Summit will be an application-based, invite-only event with attendees selected by a committee made up of Foundation leadership and community members Gino Cingolani & Pablo Lewin. Anyone is welcome to apply.
Application selection will be focused on community members that actively contribute to the DCL ecosystem, be it through their creative work or by building relationships and hosting events, as well as technical builders and partners that are interested in being a part of DCL’s future.
The Foundation, together with sponsors, will cover:
- Transportation to and from the Argentinian airport to the Summit location
- Hotel accommodations (double occupancy)
- Food and Beverages during the Summit
- Planned social activities
Selected attendees would be responsible for covering all travel expenses to Argentina and any additional expenses throughout the 3-day event outside of the planned programming. However, we understand that this may create a financial barrier to attending the conference and the hope is to bring together a diverse group of attendees.
This proposal aims to help a few attendees most in need with their travel expenses with the intention of allowing more members of the community to participate in the Summit having as broad representation at the event as possible. If you are interested in attending the Summit (whether you may request a scholarship or not), the application is in the official announcement.
Travel Scholarship Details
If this proposal is approved, those who receive financial aid will be selected through an application process on a needs basis by a committee made up of Foundation leadership and community members Gino Cingolani & Pablo Lewin. The scholarship application link will be added to the Summit announcement linked above.
The number of sponsorships granted will be determined based on the qualifications of the applicants, but the aim is to cover the travel expenses of at least 10 attendees in need, as funds allow depending on flight costs.
Important to Note:
- Money will not be disbursed directly to scholarship recipients. Travel arrangements will be made for the selected attendees by the Foundation who will purchase flights on their behalf.
- Scholarship recipients will be held accountable for their attendance at the Decentraland Community Summit once flight tickets are purchased for them. Failure to attend, except in cases of extreme illness, close family death, natural disasters, or other extenuating circumstances, will result in the scholarship recipient needing to pay back the funds spent on flight tickets.
- Flights may have up to 2 connections per trip, although the intention is to make them direct flights.
- No part of this grant would cover payment for work or travel for Foundation members, Gino or Pablo.
The grant would secure the main sponsorship spot of the Decentraland Community Summit for the DAO. The sponsorship funds would mainly go to covering the community travel scholarships with the remaining budget being applied to Summit operational costs (as noted in the budget-breakdown).
- Upon approval of this proposal, launch a scholarship application
- Three payouts to the Foundation, the main organizer of the Decentraland Summit ($10k at the end of December, January, and February).
- All DCL Community Summit Applications will be reviewed and selected applicants will be notified by Mid-January at the latest
- These notifications will include whether or not their Scholarship request was also approved.
- All scholarship applicants will share their information for travel bookings upon notification of selection.
- Foundation will handle booking and share specifics with the selected individuals, once confirmed.
- Final report of financial breakdown will be shared in May.
*The occurrence of the Decentraland Community Summit is not dependent on this proposal. However, if not passed, the opportunity to provide travel scholarships will not be available.