[DAO:7299335] Can DCL DAO ask DG DAO for $1Million back?

I was scammed 2 years ago with someone impersonating an artist with big followers on Instagram . ( 200k + followers)

The scammer minted their name in Dcl , minted a collection of NFTs stealing their IP and proceeded to sell them and advertise on discord and twitter.

They convinced me they were legit and I bought multiple NFTs from this scammer , and even hosted a sugar club party with my Gallery advertising their work.

Only to be contacted by the original artist in IG demanding answers a short week after.

I lost around 1 Eth of fake NFT sales on this scam , and many other collectors as well.

I am siding with @esteban on this issue . Owning official names in Dcl is a vector attack for scammers period .

2 Likes

You are telling me then that because this scammer minted a dcl name you got scammed and believed them? Meaning them minting a dcl name verified their identity? It wasnā€™t the followers they had on social media or anything else?

1 Like

Yea , it was a very serious identity theft and social engineering scam.

What makes them official?

Say foundation minted all names they wanted to use. Say they minted Foundation to use for their operations, I come in and mint dclfoundation how is that now an official name issue? If the name was meant to be official then it should have been minted when it was implemented.

3 Likes

Not only was them pretending to be someone else , they also convinced me to create a event promoting their work in DCL to attract more sales .

I will never forget this shit . Bad taste in my mouth.

1 Like

Iā€™m failing to see how that was the problem of the name they had minted.

They impersonated a fake identity in DCL to steal from people . If you donā€™t understand this , then Iā€™m speaking to a wall.

Anyways you wonā€™t charge my mind on this issue :man_shrugging:

There will always be attack vectors what happened to you is sad but also what happens without due diligence. This very topic is what will cause a war in crypto. Those who will eat loss and understand accountability and freedom and those who want to keep the same chains most systems already have. Who will blame the nft itself instead of own ignorance and bad actor. If these companies or people cared they would be here. If they dont know maybe we need a way for them to get there names back and that should be voted on. Name Squatting Land Squatting yea sucks the early investor and the crooked take advantage in new spaces. Does it mean we should ban or silence tho. Unstoppable domains had corporate names locked for a while maybe dcl just lacked foresight to make that move. Also happens every day in the real world people that are credited buy shit then dump on the uncredited investors that couldnt get in early. I dont think names are the problem or the nfts is accountability and education. If the foundation and dao cared why not then when you log into the portal is there not warnings or a video on the main page for security and safety.

1 Like

Social engineering is real , even governments fall for it .

Do you think some random Joe has the capability to check everything before believing an online identity. I think not . Itā€™s an uphill battle that will never be won.

Not trying to change your mind lol Iā€™m trying to understand your logic behind thinking the person used a DCL Name to impersonate a 200k followers on ig artist and the name minting was the issue.

Because thatā€™s who they said they were . On social ( Twitter , and discord , Dcl ) . They stole an identity and scammed people in Dcl .

This is exactly what @esteban is referring to . The danger of it . And itā€™s implications for future users .

I understand what the worry is 100%

What Iā€™m saying is a DCL Name is not a verification nor watermark nor anything that indicates that the user/wallet owing that NAME is in fact that person or entity on the NAME. So therefore we are going into a super interesting yet concerning path with banning NAMEs that are considered misleading.

2 Likes

Furthermore with the right skills and a good official name. I Can think of multiple ways a scammer could social engineer a scam .

Now a pro scammer or a collective could have a multiple vector attacks including using those names among other things . ( websites , phishing , NFTs , smart contracts , social media Ect )

Accountability easier to blame the name and be emotionally hurt then accept the fact. If people with big hearts or financial interest want to collab they need to vet. They need to take the time and thats the problem. People get emotional and upset then those in power feel obligated to gatekeep and control based on those who were effected. Our own list of builders curators and others are called and interviewed for a reason before added to the registry.

1 Like

I got nothing against you @SugarClub and not trying throw shade at you at all. ive been burned in this space burned whole bitcoins to be honest. Its just a very fine line we are walking here. I refuse to blame the tech tho or nfts.

1 Like

Again I understand the worry, what makes a dcl name be official though? If foundation or any of the founders wanted to use a specific NAME for official use then why did they not mint it. Answer I got was dcl was not an acronym we used back them and so I ask what other acronyms should anyone avoid when minting a NAME.

Solutions are simple - are we confusing new users voting on DAO ? Then setting a forum name instead of avatar name would solve this.

Prevent scams/ official use- mint it as you implement whatever the name would represent.

2 Likes

I feel passionate about this because I got scammed exactly in the way @esteban lays it .

Identity theft right in the middle of the Decentraland community.

@Sannin was saying he doesnā€™t see the potential for scammers , and I came here on The chat to say that I exactly suffered from this issue with an elaborate ID theft in DCL.

Thatā€™s all.

Now do whatever you want with that info . Go and squat more official names if you feel like :sweat_smile:

But Iā€™m not liking this trend one bit :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Where did I say that?

What Iā€™m saying is the Name minted is not why the scammer might be successful or not.

Think point is a nft isnt a identity. We act like these pfps and names our because we associate with them so much. Truth is they are just code and a image. We can change them the way we change outfits everyday. More people need to recognize that. Maybe dcl needs a verified mark and way to code id check that this is a permanent name tied to a wallet if it isnt in that wallet it loses a mark. As for forum i still stand by forum names over tied to nft. TBH tho id rather the devs make a sit emotion and fn crawl.

2 Likes

Well thatā€™s a part of the arsenal of ID theft in the metaverse.

DCL name , fake websites , fake social, Ect .

A scammer or collective will use a combination of tools to get to their goals .

This was all fine and dandy when Dcl was a small emerging platform. But now with official names and millions of DAO funds this is a real danger imo .

You canā€™t expect new users to check everything down to the smart contract . Itā€™s just not feasible .

One of the major reasons why web3 will fail in my opinion is that its just too easy for scams to operate and social engineer. Until we have safeguards that prevent this I donā€™t see this space/ metaverse going to mass adoptionā€¦

2 Likes