[DAO:7299335] Can DCL DAO ask DG DAO for $1Million back?

Why didn’t foundation mint NAMEs it planned to use or that it would cause any type of confusion if someone else had minted it?

2 Likes

They tried to, but were not as exhaustive as they could have been.

Im talking about the docs where you come up as co founder, gov squad comes up, facilitation squad as well. New or old it’s in the docs.

DCLfoundation , DCLDAO seem NAMEs that could easily be thought of. Especially when there is a foundation and DAO for DCL.

1 Like

At the time, DCL was not that well established as an acronym for Decentraland.

2 Likes

And so that makes it okay to want to ban these now?

We weren’t using DCL acronym back then so we didn’t think of the NAME, basically.

2 Likes

In my opinion, we as a community need to make it as easy and safe as possible for new users to enter this community. If adding some DAO-based-moderation can prevent new users from being scammed, I’d totally support it.

Scott Alexander explains it better: Moderation Is Different From Censorship

1 Like

Who is we? I don’t represent the foundation and I think this use of “DCLFoundation” is wrong (or any use of it, as long as the communication doesn’t originate from someone officially representing the Foundation)

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

There’s no present threat currently other the ones NAMEs have been getting lately. Being new and confused it’s normal everywhere, you must research. There’s no scam happening with minting a name and making a proposal and if so how is it doing this?

I mean we as in all of us.

Foundation didn’t mint it. Owner of the NAME can use it how they wish. This name is fairly new.

We can throw hypotheticals all around but if it’s not happening than we are just speculating the reason for the minting of a NAME.

1 Like

So what other acronyms and NAMEs should people who believe enough in DCL to mint these avoid when the trees planted now are giving us shade in future?

How can you tell there’s no scam happening? I get messages every week of people that lost their money because they entered their private keys for metamask in some scammy website. My decentraland email is on the whitepaper, that’s why they reach out. The brand damage goes to Decentraland and the ethereum ecosystem, not to the scammer. We need to do better as a whole community to prevent this.

I believe that people who believe enough in DCL can see how claiming names that can be seen as “official” is detrimental to the platform and project as a whole. There’s an obvious clash of incentives if they placed their bets on squatting names that can be “official”.

Some reparations, like returning 100 MANA, could be made. But people were asking for 25k DAI for names that should be “official”. How is that reasonable and in the benefit of the project?

1 Like

You answered my question with another, I can’t, based on the scam you are describing. However I can definitely look up who minted the NAME, I can see the proposal they made with it. No where in the proposal I could find a sus link or the entity asking for funds for themselves or from new users.

Should there then be an “official” badge/stamp that makes this easier for new users?
Collectors are squatters.

Its not mandatory for anyone to buy it at all. Should be but were not prioritized in minting them first. Listing a name for however much you decide to after you minted it, it’s not signs of being a scammer.

1 Like

Tho i agree with you on alot i do find it cringe people keep changing names myself and proposing shit when they are already established in the community. Im almost 100 percent ready to vote against people I dont know and dont want to opensea look up or wallet check each person who proposes. Let alone someone can ask dg all they want but a give back would probably have to be handled in there own dao and proposed in such as they have there own voting mechanics. I doubt they would do a give back without a dao vote.

1 Like

Yeah i understand name changing can add extra steps for some. Wanting to ban names based on ownership is not the way.

and if we are to use the “scammer” card then id like to see evidence of a name mint leading to such.

as far as this prop goes, its invalid they can ask in DG discord directly.

2 Likes

I think dao forum should use a set name and shouldnt keep changing with equipped name. Thats the flaw. @esteban @HPrivakos

1 Like

Nope, the flaw is sacrificing the safety of our community to support the investment of name squatters trying to make a profit.

And I ask how is the safety of community being sacrificed? What threats or scams have we seen happen that were caused by a NAME mint? Who is we and how is we supporting the investment of name squatters?

All arguments to ban these names have been ownership, proposal/voting made by these, confusion or possibility of scam.

2 Likes

do you feel the same way for land squatters or nah?

2 Likes