[DAO:686eeca] Blender addon: save time in wearable design

by 0x7e22d9514a99793e80d4fb5e3a9dfd4931f47c4c (TonyDarko#7c4c)

Should the following Tier 1: up to $1,500 USD in MANA, one-time payment grant in the Platform Contributor category be approved?

Abstract

Currently, the process of designing wearables in Decentraland can be tedious and require a lot of manual time and effort. With our addon, we can simplify and speed up this process and make it more accessible to everyone. This addon will be especially useful for those who want to create wearables, as it will allow them to do so faster and more easily.
The Blender addon to automate the process of designing wearables would be very useful for the community, as it would simplify and streamline the process of designing wearables, making it more accessible to everyone. In addition, by making the design process easier, we could see an increase in the creation of wearables and greater use of these on the platform.

Grant size

1,500 USD

Beneficiary address

0x7e22d9514a99793E80D4FB5E3A9Dfd4931F47c4c

Email address

tonydarko.ventas@gmail.com

Description

The addon is a software tool created with python, designed for the process of creating wearables.
Currently, the process can be slow and require a lot of repetitive manual time and effort. However, with the Blender addon, we can simplify and streamline parts of the design process.
The addon will be integrated directly into the Blender interface, and support will be provided to the community to add extra functions as the needs of the community require, however the initial functions will be:

Male/female:Import with one click the armature of the selected gender (necessary step to successfully complete the following).

Automatic rigger: Automatic rigg with one click from the different categories (head, upperbody, lowerbody, feet, accessories) the necessary one is selected and rigged automatically.

Bake: Bake textures and procedural materials with just one click, creating a final texture of 512x512 px automatically.

Checker button: Clicking this button will alert you if you have inverted normals or if you do not have tris within the limit.

Thumbnail creation: Create a png compatible with the thumbnails in the marketplace with one click.

Continuous updates and improvements to keep the tool up to date with Decentraland’s requirements.

Specification

The final version of the Addon will allow creators to save time in their workflow, leaving more room for creativity in the process.

Design and planning:
From this point until January 31st, time will be devoted to designing the structure and user interface. The plan is to implement the specified functionality in the clearest and simplest way for the user.

Development: From February 1st to March 1st, time will be devoted to polishing and completing the initial version of the addon code for testing with different files. Debugging of the code and testing by the team. Bugs are fixed and a report of results is provided.

Internal testing: From March 2nd to April 1st, internal testing of the addon will be carried out with a selected group of users. Feedback will be collected and used to make adjustments and improvements to the addon. Bugs are fixed and a report of results is provided.

Beta testing:
From April 2nd to May 1st, a beta version of the addon is released for users to test and provide feedback. Use this feedback to make additional adjustments and improvements to the addon. Bugs are fixed and a report of results is provided.

Documentation and support:
During May 2nd and June 1st, time is devoted to creating clear and detailed documentation taking into account all the information collected so that other users can understand how the addon works and how to use it. Includes installation and use instructions, as well as examples and tutorials to guide the user through the process in English and Spanish.

Launch:
From June 2nd to July 1st, once all necessary tests and adjustments have been completed, the final version of the addon is publicly and freely released. Support and updates are still available if needed.

Personnel

Meet Tony Darko (Project Manager, 3D Designer) Graphic Designer with over 4 years of experience with Blender, creator of Darko Studio, Designer for “Calaverse,” festival in DCL, verified partner for the DAO proposal, selected for MVFW 2022 and DCL Film Club 2022, part of the Imagine to Create project (DCL galery/launcher), my 3D work has been exhibited at theaterLab in New York (2021) and in the Luminaria Contemporary Arts Festival in Texas.

Meet Jhoico (game developer/programmer): 15 years of experience in software, website, app, and video game development, I have spent around 12 years creating web content, browser-based video games, knowledge in Flash, HTML, JavaScript (typescript), PHP, CSS, Flex, Xcode. Currently, I am creating video games using the Unity game engine and working as a developer at Darko Studio.

Roadmap and milestones

• Design and planning
    Now - January 31st

• Development
    February 1st - March 1st

• Internal testing
    March 2nd - April 1st

• Beta testing
    Abril 2nd - May 1st

• Documentation and Support
    May 2nd - June 1st

• Launch
    June 2nd - July 1st

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Very good idea and an affordable budget . Voting yes :+1: good luck !

1 Like

Voting no, aside from asking for 3 separate grants all at the same time. I’d like to see a proof of concept or demo on how exactly this would save time. It seems you are looking to create a simple click and drag for wearable creating then i’d be more interested in Wear Essentials - Wearables for everyone or Build an app to create wearables for decentraland without technical skills

1 Like

I read the title and expected to vote no.

Then I read what this plugin would do and it does sound useful. The team is talented and I’ve had my eye on Tony Darko’s vtube project.

And lastly, I saw the budget. This seems like a no-brainer. After utilizing the DCL Visual Studio Code add-on, I’ve come to see big value in workflow tools like this.

2 Likes

hi @Sannin The addon is a tool designed to be used within the wearables development process, but it is not a tool to make wearables.
I took the time to review the two proposals that you mention and it is not the same as what we propose, the points that we consider within addon are the result of having talked with creators of wearables, such as Yannakis, Nikki and Doki, even doki told me that a addon could not be the best for your workflow since it was well defined, so we sought to add other options only in order to optimize time, at no time did we propose a tool that designs wearables.

@DOCTORdripp Thank you for your comment, we were precisely thinking of tools that allow us to improve the time in terms of rigging and weight transfer, just to give an example, which from our investigation we realized was what cost the most or more I’ve been designing wearables for a long time, personally I think that tools like these help to have more room for creativity and less for the boring technical part.

I think i failed to make my point - where would this addon be implemented to?

“The addon will be integrated directly into the Blender interface…”

1 Like

Blender addon: save time in wearable design.

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 33% 500,389 VP (96 votes)
  • No 67% 994,746 VP (86 votes)

@TonyDarko Think we might still see this developed even with the prop not passing? I do think this would be a useful tool for the community, unfortunate it did not go through.

1 Like

We´re still developing the addon, don’t worry, it will be published :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes