[DAO:1397d36] What should the voting threshold be when applying for 1 plot of land?

by 0x8218a2445679e38f358e42f88fe2125c98440d59 (1010)

Voting thresholds are essentially the first hurdle that any applicant needs to pass before a proposal is considered legitimate. Thereafter, a simply majority is required for the proposal to pass.

I’d like the community’s feedback on what the voting threshold should be if a member (including the DAO squads) wants to apply to use land that is acquired by the DAO.

PLEASE NOTE that this is for 1 plot of LAND

Factors to consider:

• 1 LAND’s value is capped at around 4k MANA, comparable to a grant that’s asking for 2.5k USD at today’s prices.

• The potential supply of land that’ll be available to the community. It is estimated that there could be an average of 10-15 LANDs purchased per month.

• Whether VP threshold should be dynamic, i.e 1m VP for the first plot, extra 500k VP for every extra plot included in the proposal, regardless of whether its contiguous.

Bearing in mind that setting too low a threshold (500k vp and below) will allow a single person to legitimise the voting process while too high a threshold will discourage a lot of members from applying if the failure rate is high.

• 500k VP
  • 1m VP
  • 2m VP
  • 3m VP
  • Dynamic Threshold
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

1 Like

If you do vote for a dynamic threshold but disagree with the formula above, do also share your thoughts on what it should be.

Hi, thanks for proposal. I think it can be 2M such as an threshold for Lower Tier Grants.

Linear doesn’t work, you cannot expect 20M VP minimum for 40 lands.
A logarithmic threshold would be more adapted.
The duration should also likely be taken into account.

Just keep in mind that it’s currently possible to rent a land for 30 MANA a month.

1 Like

I agree, which is why I’d suggest a cap on the amout of VP needed as well. Probably a good ceiling would be 5-6m VP

IMO 5-6m would be relatively small cap, considering current VP amount and those with significant VP.

What should the voting threshold be when applying for 1 plot of land?

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• 500k vp 1% 642 VP (15 votes)
  • 1m vp 1% 3 VP (3 votes)
  • 2m vp 50% 2,153,872 VP (49 votes)
  • 3m vp 1% 525 VP (2 votes)
  • Dynamic threshold 33% 1,366,023 VP (25 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 14% 582,593 VP (4 votes)

What should the voting threshold be when applying for 1 plot of land?

This proposal has been PASSED by a DAO Committee Member (0xbef99f5f55cf7cdb3a70998c57061b7e1386a9b0)