[DAO:7gmal6a] Change threshold system to pass a proposal to the difference between YES and NO

by 0x598f8af1565003ae7456dac280a18ee826df7a2c (pablo)

Right now with a proposal requiring 1 Mill VP, if theres is 1M VP in YES votes, and 0.9 Mill VP in NO, the proposal will pass even being clearly controversial.

What I propose is to leave the current thresholds, but that the amount needed to pass is calculated from the different between YES and NO, instead of just the absolute amount in YES.

• YES
  • NO
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Thank you for making this poll. I have observed several proposals that were indeed controversial get passed because of the majority rule. I believe your proposed solution is a simple solution to the problem.

I support this 100%.

This kind of creates the opposite of the problem. I agree with the issue and what this attempts to solve, but this still leaves someone with a large amount of VP the opportunity to reject any proposal vs passing it previously. I need to think on this a little bit more.

3 Likes

I get the concern, but consider this perspective. These proposals are binding. Which is a worse scenario:

• An individual/entity using their VP to pass a 120k grant on their own, and participating in what has been considered to be taking bribe money for their vote?

or

• Someone having to resubmit a request?

My personal opinion is that the good outweighs the bad, but I’m interested to hear the rest of the communities thoughts as well.

1 Like

This is a tough one. But i will use my poi as a example.

yes
66%
726,015 VP (78 votes)
no
34%

387,354 VP (1 vote)
the one no vote was @HPrivakos which is ok. This would have made this POI fail even tho it was a 78-1 vote. Now this POI would need 1.1mill vp to pass. I get why this prop was made,its just a hard one to pick but im going with no.

3 Likes

the spirit behind this makes sense i understand the problem you are hoping to solve, but i agree with @mattimus and @DrGreenthumb here - let’s try to workshop this idea and come up with a better proposal cause i think it needs to be made.

something that takes into consideration the average vote weight maybe…?

2 Likes

I agree with @dax and others here. Let’s bring this up in the next DCL DAO town hall, and see if we can get a working group for DAO voting ------> DAO Town Hall | Decentraland Events

1 Like

A point is, that if a proposal is controversial it can be reformulated to make more people happy in Decentraland, and with iteration have a better proposal for everyone. Summarizing: better proposals.

On this same proposal, with 500K on NO, would need 1Mill VP on YES

But it opens discussion to argument it better, instead of passing right away wiht just 1VP more without convincing more people.

So, for those voting NO, if this proposal passes with just 1 more VP, would you prefer to have it passed? or would you prefer to still discuss or reformulate with better arguments or details or a more effective communication?

About the negative vote on the POI, why he voted NO, did he has a reason for which something could have been improved in decentraland? and then, after improving it, submiting again with better content.

Change threshold system to pass a proposal to the difference between YES and NO

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 30% 300,724 VP (20 votes)
  • No 70% 671,082 VP (22 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 0% 0 VP (0 votes)

Change threshold system to pass a proposal to the difference between YES and NO

This proposal has been REJECTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfe91c0c482e09600f2d1dbca10fd705bc6de60bc)