by 0x76fb13f00cdbdd5eac8e2664cf14be791af87cb0 (Matimio)
Should the following Tier 5: up to $120,000 USD, 6 months vesting (1 month cliff) grant in the Community category be approved?
We believe DAO’s are a human process of socio-technical engineering. This proposal is to extend the Decentraland DAO’s Governance Facilitation Team’s term of service for an additional six months, to support operation of the Decentraland DAO.
Link to the team’s constitutive grant, which is drawing to a close, can be found here.
This proposal is to extend the operations of the DAO Facilitation Squad, for an additional six months. Over the course of its first term, the DAO Facilitation Squad developed a cadence of operations and regular reporting, and identified core areas where our engagement is most useful, this includes but is not limited to:
- Hosting of DAO Town Halls, In-World Meet Ups and DAO Facilitation Office Hours;
- Strategic Communications and Reporting on DAO Operations and Governance issues;
- Development of a Formal Working Group Process and Facilitation of Issue-Specific Working Groups;
- Coordination of engagements and collaborations between the Decentraland DAO Community, DAO Core Units, the DAO Committee, and the Decentraland Foundation.
The operations of the DAO Facilitation Squad are further intended to support the work and community engagement of other “Core Units” of the DAO, which include the DAO Governance (dApp) Squad and the Grants Support Squad.
Our primary objective over the coming term will be to focus on our DAO’s collective decision-making and consensus building processes. Many in the web3 space often equate governance to voting. However, over the past months we have seen that voting is often not the end, but the beginning of a divisive issue or debate, and that collective decision-making and consensus building is as, if not more important, than the final outcome of a proposal or poll.
Drawing on leading policy decision-making frameworks, including what is known as the Delphi Method, we will focus on finalizing and implementing a robust working group process that can be led by Community and/or Facilitation Team Members; and further focus on creating and maintaining multiple forums for increasing communication, coordination, and collaboration between the DAO Community, Committee, Core Units and Decentraland Foundation.
This grant will set up a budget to fund operations of the Facilitation Team for a six month period. The grant will be provided as a vesting contract of stable coins assigned to a 2-out-of-3 signatures Multisig. Participants are Matimio (Mathew Markman), Fractilians (Natalie Nunez - both members of the Facilitation Team); and Gino Cingolani (Gino), who is a member of the DAO Governance Squad. Once claimed from the vesting contract, payments will be automated to each team member using parcel.money.
During our first term of operations, the DAO Facilitation Team focused on Operations and Research & Analytics. We will continue to work in these two areas, however, we have refined our scope, work flow and cadence of deliverables; as well as terminology for the above fields of work.
Operations, will be reclassified as Strategic Relations and includes, but is not limited to:
Close coordination with Decentraland Foundation & Grants Support Squad
- Strategic Communication & Storytelling
- Operation of DCL DAO Twitter
- Operation of DCL DAO Youtube
- Event Facilitation & Support
- Supporting Biweekly DAO Town Halls
- Supporting Weekly DCL Foundation AMAs
- In-World Meet Ups
- Hosting Post Town Hall Gathering
- Supporting Weekly Facilitator Hours
- Report Contribution
- Drafting Relevant Sections of DAO Weekly Brief
- Drafting Relevant Sections of DAO Monthly Community Pulse
Research & Analytics, will be reclassified as Governance Facilitation and includes, but is not limited to:
- Close coordination with DAO Committee & Governance (dApp) Squad
- Weekly Team Meetings
- Monthly Core Unit Meetings
- Regular Communications with Committee and Foundation Members
- Working Group Design & Facilitation
- Working Group Process Design
- Set up, facilitation, and reporting on working group progress
- Coordination between stakeholder groups to build consensus, assess impacts and facilitate development of implementation pathways
- Proposal Drafting Support
- Workshopping and consensus building sessions
- Report Drafting, Publication & Quality Control
- Drafting and Oversight of DCL DAO Weekly Brief
- Drafting and Oversight of DAO Monthly Community Pulse
- Event Facilitation and Leadership
- Planning & Hosting Biweekly DAO Town Halls
- In-World Meet Ups
- Planning & Hosting Weekly Facilitator Hours
- Team Manager – Matimio, aka Mathew Markman Linkedin: Matimio is a socio-technical engineer and the current DAO Facilitation Team Lead. He is currently finishing his PhD in Future Studies and Political Science; and is the Co-Creator and Architect of Big Green DAO.
- Strategic Relations – Fractilians, aka Nathalie Nunez Linkedin: Fractilians is an experienced marketing specialist, content creator, 3D/VR educator and currently serves in the Strategic Relations role for the Facilitation Team. Previously, Fractillians worked with Rariable Protocol DAO.
- Governance Facilitation - Fehz, aka Federico Holzwarth Linkedin: Fehz is a professional project and programs manager with extensive experience working with stakeholders in civil society organizations, public groups, public administration and in the private sector. Previously Fehz worked for the municipal government of Buenos Aires.
Total Hours: ~160 monthly hours or ~40 weekly hours
Total Budget: $78,000 USD
This Budget Includes:
- $72,000 for team compensation
- $6,000 for team travel to an industry-related event
Cost by team member:
- Team Manager: ~10-15 Hours/week ($3,500/month)
- Governance Facilitator ~10-15 Hours/week ($3,500/month)
- Strategic Communications Facilitator: ~20-25 hours/week ($5,500/month)
Direct deliverables Include (see forum post below for details):
- 24 Weekly DAO Brief: Weekly report published on Sunday of each week, describing DAO operations & governance issues.
- 6 Monthly Community Pulse: In depth strategic governance, creator spotlight, & issue analysis report.
- 12 Biweekly Town Hall: Twice monthly town halls hosted by DAO Facilitation team alternating between US & EU/ASIA friendly time zones.
- 24 Weekly Facilitation Hours: Weekly in-world or discord-based “office hours” for open discussion between DAO Facilitators and Community Members.
- 6 Monthly Twitter Space AMA: Monthly DAO Facilitation Team Twitter Space AMAs.
- Persistent Social Media Management and Engagement: Operation and posting of regular content on the DCL DAO Twitter and Youtube accounts. For a full description of the Strategic Relations role & road map can be found here.
- Ad-Hoc Facilitation of issue-specific working groups.
Examples of previous deliverables and all future relevant deliverables will be published on the DCL DAO Mirror page.
The DAO Facilitation Team will have a persistent presence in the community, and serve as an outlet for & support expression of community & other stakeholder interests. This expression can take many forms, foremost of which is in actionable & implementable governance proposals.