[DAO:d9bb507] Ban the name Shemale

by 0xff3327cc139449fa111ad87351bb300e9cc7607c (Gubblebum)

Should the name Shemale be added to the Denied Names list, banning it from Decentraland?

Description

Let’s continue to fight bigotry <3

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Voting Yes, in general that word is considered offensive and degrading by many, and in particular that name is being currently used to make feel some members of the Decentraland community unwelcomed.

Queer people are an essential part of our community, building the platform, building content and giving support. This kind of hostility against a section of our community should not be allowed.

Even from a completely selfish point of view this should not be allowed. The trans community is huge in virtual worlds. If we want to see growth we must be welcoming.

Someone has to be a big enough asshole to mint them before they can be banned. Like yourself

I’ve asked a squad member about the possibility of preemptively banning a different name.

1 Like

The only thing that should matter when a group is attacked, is how those harmed seek accountability. Telling queer people how they should think and feel as you are actively harming them, is gross and beyond wrong.

Who are you to demand anything or make fun of anyone? Have basic human respect.

And there’s a reason no one tried to ban it before, because we didn’t need to until YOU decided to use it to harm people.

This DAO needs to do better. It’s a shit show of edge lords making a mockery of everything. And it is quickly becoming exclusionary to many, not just the LGBTQIA+ community.

1 Like

Posting this for those who are unaware of what certain words mean.

2 Likes

@RobL why are you supporting hate speech while trying to pretend your issue with me is how I articulate myself?

I decided to vote ‘no’ on banning the two names owned by JasonX that a few community members selectively “feel” is “offensive”.

I voted ‘no’ because:

1. It doesn’t seem like there is any evidence that JasonX used these names in a kind of abusive way; simply owning a names isn’t being abusive.

2. If these names are considered to be “offensive” by some community members, then why only these 2 names, and not the many other names that have already been minted? Names, that should really be at least as “offensive”, or in many cases much more “offensive” than the 2 Jason X owns, but no action has ever been taken by these few group members to ban any other “offensive” name.

3. To test this, JasonX created a number of proposals to ban very similarity sounding names that should also be highly “offensive” to these community members. However, while they voted overwhelmingly ‘yes’ on JasonX’s “offensive” names, they simultaneously overwhelmingly voted ‘no’ on the similar names that JasonX proposed to ban. This is clear evidence that the so called “outrage” expressed by some community members is completely fake, and these attempts to SELECTIVELY ban “offensive” names is simply a way to specifically target, harass, and bully a single community member.

4. Names are just words, and words shouldn’t be banned, as there are many of us perfectly capable of using words responsibly, and the majority of the shouldn’t be punished to protect against the “possibility” of a someone using words that just “might” hurt the feelings of a few.

As such I not only voted ‘NO’ for the 2 proposals that, imo, unfairly targeted JasonX, and ALSO voted ‘NO’ on all JasonX’s proposals to ban the names he chose.

Imo, banning names a just a very dangerous precedent to set, especially in this case as this is clearly a witch hunt.

If anyone agrees with the above, you should perhaps consider voting **‘no’ **on ALL these name ban proposals as well.

1. Did you go to his Twitter?

2/3. Please pic specific words because Jason attempted to ban a wide range of names and there were comments left on a number of them about why they voted “no” For example, while I thought it was absurd, they agreed to keep “Tranny” because it is a common mechanic slang.

1. and words shouldn’t be banned Interesting bit of hypocrisy you find yourself in here

this is what he said just before minting those names to the trans and queer people talking to him about his history of transphobic tweeting.
JasonX

There is no ambiguity around the intention Jason had when minting those names.

““If you can only be tall because someone else is on their knees, then you have serious problem.”
~Toni Morrison

Each word has a different meaning. Some words have multiple meanings. The two words posted in a prop for a ban we selected and posted because there is a group of people who find them to be offensive. These people are the targets of harassment, abuse, and murder. You are asking why a marginalized population, with limited resources is focusing on just two words? Because nobody has unlimited blood, treasure, and time to expend on every single injustice. Smart people pick their battles.

As a cis-gendered, heterosexual, white, protestant, man I have been afforded nearly every privilege in the modern era. The only type of stereotype threat I receive is ageism since I’m in my mid 50s. I have an invisible backpack bursting with hidden benefits and thumbs on the scale ready to tilt the playing field. I don’t have much personal experience about real outrage but I can assure you that when certain groups who are not afforded the same benefits as me tell me they are outraged, I believe them.

Congratulations on your little “experiment” JasonX. Rather than develop a personal relationship with anyone to find out valuable information you influenced people vote in poll and collected useless data.

He may be looking for an objective authority on what is offensive and what is not, he will not find it. THAT is why we have a vote. To gauge the sentiment of the members of the DAO. So here we are, voting. Can we agree that we believe a group of people when they tell us a thing is harmful?

YES or NO?

1 Like

Ban the name Shemale

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 49% 5,917,370 VP (60 votes)
  • No 41% 5,052,518 VP (37 votes)
  • Abstain 10% 1,309,115 VP (30 votes)

Why are you insane? This is not normal behaviour.

This is the photo I used on the cover of my job application a few years back. I’m a licensed educator in the state of Minnesota. I have a Masters in Education Arts. I’ve been in K-6 classrooms since 2016. Work I’m most proud of is the literacy intervention work I did with middle school students.

I’m so happy you asked about my time as a Legitimacy Faerie! You must have seen my TikTok video. By dressing in a tutu and holding a wand aloft I hand out validation and affirmations to people who need them. The tutu was custom made for me by a friend in an online artist community. I had Facebook threads hundreds of posts in length where people came to me and requested pep talks and statements of legitimacy. The wand was given to me by another friend because the paper wand I used to use kept breaking. This one is welded stainless steel!

Are you in need of validation Rob? Does my wearing a tutu anger you in some way? I don’t have to explain myself to you or anyone. I choose to talk about it because I think you could benefit from some education yourself. I am proud of who I am and the things I’ve accomplished. SHEW! I lift people up and brighten their day. I started a business called Affirmative! where people would call others to talk about their goals, hopes, and dreams.

The invisible backpack is an influential anti-racist publication by Peggy McIntosh. I highly recommend reading it. If you have any other questions about white-privilege, inter generational wealth transfer, or reparations, just let me know. I’ve done a bit of reading on racial privilege.

I am sad that you were swayed by JasonX’s “evidence” and voted NO on this proposal. But you coming at me in your lame attempt to shame me tells me it perhaps wasn’t about his immature flooding of the name ban proposals that swayed you. It’s prejudice. As in “to pre-judge”. You are making assumptions about me and my character based on appearances. “Whistling Vivaldi” by Claude M. Steele is an excellent book I suggest you read to learn more about biases and the damage they can do.

I have much compassion for you. I wonder what deep hurt you must have to act so hateful to others. I think of a day that you might let go of that spitefulness and unburden your heart.

“Live in such a way that if someone should speak badly of you, no one would believe it.”
~ Zig Ziglar

2 Likes

Ban the name Shemale

This proposal has been ENACTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xbef99f5f55cf7cdb3a70998c57061b7e1386a9b0)