[DAO:d5c7a8d] Scalability Upgrade for Decentraland: Implementing Rollup Solutions

At the time of writing, the average gas fee for a simple transaction on the Ethereum network is around 60-80 Gwei, while more complex transactions can require fees of up to 200 Gwei or more. We estimate that gas fees could be reduced by up to 90% and transaction speeds could increase to just a few seconds. It generally takes around 15-30 seconds for a transaction to be confirmed.
You are right, we have performance issues, and I am working on projects that try to solve them, but honestly I do think that this is a big problem so we can remain competitive in the future. I can give you examples of metaverses that have implemented or are planning to implement this: Somnium Space, Decentral Games, Axie Infinity, Sandbox. As you can see, we need to do something as soon as possible or we will stay out of the game at some point

Do you know that most DCL transactions are using Polygon already?..

Also, inplementing it “in Decentraland” doesn’t mean anything, what specific part do you want to mugrate to rollup?
Including wearables and emotes, Decentraland has more than 4000 smartcontracts.

While many Decentraland transactions are already using Polygon, rollups offer additional benefits such as higher throughput and lower gas fees. Specific areas of Decentraland that could benefit from rollups would depend on team priorities, potentially including in-game transactions and off-chain interactions between players. A strategic analysis is needed to determine which smart contracts would provide the most value from a scaling perspective that is why in the stage 1 I wrote “design and development”

So you are asking for 160k before even know where and how it could be used?

1 Like

This stage involves researching and analyzing the existing system architecture, evaluating the potential benefits of rollups, and designing the necessary technical infrastructure. It also includes conducting cost-benefit analyses to determine the most effective use of resources and ensure that the project aligns with team priorities and goals.

Therefore, requesting funds for the design and development stage is a necessary step in ensuring that the implementation of rollups in Decentraland is successful and maximizes its potential benefits. Without this stage, it would be difficult to determine the most valuable areas to implement rollups, potentially resulting in suboptimal outcomes or inefficiencies.

Yeah, so 160k just to know if it’s a good idea or not, that seems a bit excessive.

1 Like

It is not excessive, actually costs can be way higher. This is why I divided into three stages the project. Believe me when I say that this investment (because it is an investment) will save us a lot of money in the future and attract more people

In the last 4 months, we spent 5k MATIC on polygon, that’s 15k MATIC / 16k USD per year at current rate.
This 160k grant, which is solely to analyse if this project is a good idea or not, would take 10 years to ROI at the current rate (If rollup offer free txs and there is no other ongoing costs).

1 Like

160k are not to determine what to do, also they are to start working. You have to take something else into account, if we want to remain competitive we have to start doing these types of things because other metaverse have done them and are doing it. We have to start contemplating spending more money, sorry not spending but investing. Understand my perspective, and let´s use Decentraland´s money for the best and not just keeping it there, because at some point we will lose it, this if we stay out of the market. Just compare the demand of Decentraland and other metaverses, and you´ll realize what the problem is. Look at the volume of “Otherside”

This will save money to customers and people who want to enter the metaverse, not just us. Take that into account

Theres a lot in this comments thread that show me maybe the team doesn’t really understand the platform and its needs. And it’s wanting to test something they have an idea for. This is not a good enough rationale for me to vote yes on this proposal.

When I saw the comment about lowering eth transactions, I knew right away that maybe y’all don’t actually use the platform often. I’d suggest to spend more time here using the platform and getting to know how the Community and Foundation work, before bringing a proposal to vote. There are better issues to focus on and spend resources on IMO.

Certainly, I understand your concerns about the rollup integration proposal and the team’s understanding of the Decentraland platform and its needs. We know what we are talking about, this idea was well thought and was not just proposed to see what could we do once the idea was approved. You are right in one thing, Decentraland has more issues, that probably have to be prioritized, we are working in other ideas.
Thank you for your consideration, and hope you like what we could offer in the future

Scalability Upgrade for Decentraland: Implementing Rollup Solutions

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 1% 26,901 VP (55 votes)
  • No 98% 6,903,072 VP (154 votes)
  • Abstain 1% 4,667 VP (4 votes)