[DAO:b03b8fb] Improve the DAO Grants Program - Reviewing Grant Request Processes (Stage A)

by 0x858343382132b9ab46c857a7d52fdbafc039f784 (Zino)

According to the Poll to improve the DAO Grants Program that passed, we are moving forward with Stage A as defined in the proposal.
Considering the feedback gathered from the forum post and its consequent poll, it’s time for the Community to decide between the options drafted, showing the pros and cons of each one.

1. Grants Pre-Selection Committee (GPSC): This committee, selected by the community for a set duration, will be responsible for reviewing the grant request before the community votation, and their work will be remunerated.
Their primary role is to decide which projects receive funding, considering factors like feasibility, team experience, contribution to the DAO, and impact. The committee should be diverse and qualified, comprising community members with expertise in areas like SDK latest stable version, blockchain, marketing, finance, 3D modeling, governance and content curation. Additional desirable qualifications include previous grantee experience, involvement in the DAO, and participation in governance proposals.

Pros:

• Mitigate the passing of grants that are not technically feasible or that do not comply with its category impact metrics.
  • Being filtered previously to the passing, saving money and resources from the DAO (community voting time, onboarding from GSS, DAO’s committee enacting contracts, money from the first month on the grant, when it might not be technically feasible)
  • This Committee would aim to ensure a more structured, professional, and efficient evaluation process for grants in Decentraland, involving specific knowledge in decision-making and ensuring that proposals are reviewed and aligned with the DAO objectives.
  • Mitigate whale-passing

Cons:

• Will have a cost to the DAO, to be defined if this option is chosen.
  • Selection will be based on community voting (hiring process), and there is a risk of whale-passing the members who are selected.

2. Grants Selection Committee (GSC): This committee, selected by the community for a set duration, will be responsible for reviewing the request and selecting Grant applications, managing the quarterly budget at discretion, and their work will be remunerated. This model is the most-used today in grants programs from DAOs.
Their primary role is to decide which projects receive funding, considering factors like feasibility, team experience, contribution to the DAO, and impact. The committee should be diverse and qualified, comprising community members with expertise in areas like SDK late stable version, blockchain, marketing, finance, 3D modeling, governance, and content curation. Additional desirable qualifications include previous grantee experience, involvement in the DAO, and participation in governance proposals.

Pros:

• Mitigate the passing of grants that are not technically feasible or that do not comply with its category impact metrics.
  • This Committee would aim to ensure a more structured, professional, and efficient evaluation process for grants in Decentraland, involving specific knowledge in decision-making and ensuring that proposals are reviewed and aligned with the DAO objectives.
    Being filtered previously to the passing, saving money and resources from the DAO (community voting time, onboarding from GSS, DAO’s committee enacting contracts, money from the first month on the grant, when it might not be technically feasible)
  • Mitigate whale-passing

Cons:

• Will have a cost to the DAO, to be defined if this option is chosen.
    Selection will be based on community voting (hiring process), and there is a risk of whale-passing the members who are selected.
    Centralization (or delegating to trusted community members).

3. Qualified Voting: Generate a verification -based on criteria to be defined- of community members qualified to vote on grant proposals.

Pros:

• The community will have more context of the prospect grant to vote, mitigating the passing of grants that are not feasible or that do not comply with their category impact metrics.
  • There is no cost to the DAO for people who engage in voting for grants.

Cons:

• There is no framework designed yet for this type of contribution, so implementation might take longer than other options.
  • A scoring system to measure how much weight voters have will be needed.

4. Grant Feasibility Analysts: a group of people selected by the community for a set duration will make a report on the prospect grants proposal page on its technical feasibility, compliance on impact metrics under their category, and then the community will vote as it is now.
For implementing this option, the prospect Grant analyzers need to consider factors like feasibility, experience, remuneration, contribution to the DAO, and expected impact. The members should be diverse and qualified, comprising community members with expertise in areas like SDK late stable version, blockchain, marketing, finance, 3D modeling, governance and content curation.

Pros:

• The community will have more context of the prospect grant to vote, mitigating the passing of grants that are not feasible or that do not comply with their category impact metrics.
  • We would nurture an economy of DAO contributors by remunerating their work

Cons:

• Will have a cost on the DAO
  • There is no framework designed yet for this type of contribution, so implementation might take longer than other options.
  • This won’t mitigate whale-passing grants.

5. Grant Support Squad Analysis: The Grant Support Squad will make a report on the prospect grants proposal page on its technical feasibility, compliance on impact metrics under their category, and then the community would vote as it does now. To implement this option, we should amplify the capacity of a squad.

Pros:

• Experience in Decentraland to bring community members in the analysis depending on what’s needed to make the best assessment possible.
  • Implementation would be faster than others.
  • The community will have more context of the prospect grant to vote, mitigating the passing of grants that do not comply with their category impact metrics.

Cons:

• Centralization of grants selection and monitoring.
  • GSS budget will be increased based on the needed capacity.
  • This won’t mitigate whale-passing grants.

6. Keep selection of grants as it is: Maintain the selection process via community voting system, as it is now.

Pros:

• There is no need to implement a new flow.

Cons>

• There is no risk analysis.
  • The possibility of funding projects that are not aligned with the vision of the DAO
  • Wasting money and resources from the DAO until revocations in case they are not technically feasible.
  • More policy over the projects and pressure from the community over the grantees.
  • Grants Pre-Selection Committee (GPSC).
  • Grants Selection Committee (GSC)
  • Qualified voting
  • Grant Feasibility Analysis
  • Grant Support Squad Analysis
  • Keep selection of grants as it is
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Just wanted to share my opinion, I think pushing for more groups in the DAO is going to cost more money and it is going to cost us alot of effiency by making things more and more complex then it already is. I believe the more groups we form the more we become centralized.

Lets propose ways to make it easier & efficient and not complex & unefficient.
Let me know what you think :smiley:

Hi @InJesterr Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
IMO, after 2 years without changes in how a grant can be requested, knowing the consequences of that, is an excellent moment to level up. Primarily because the grants program is the principal cost for the DAO.
In terms of complexity, as you mentioned, it’s a topic that should be addressed. Deffinelly the framework of the options should be simple,and objective ensuring efficiency in terms of funding the correct projects that the Decentraland needs, and that´s a thing that we need to tackle on the draft.
You brought up good points on the last poll and those can be incorporated in Stage B :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Zino

3 Likes

Most of these sound like they will make voting even MORE CENTRALIZED. They don’t even want you to know how 8 RICO mob bosses of DCL are defunding every functioning game in here. All will be back room deals, community only sees what the criminal enterprise dao wants you to see. They don’t want you to see how OG Contra Band made these laser tag guns for example. That’s a problem that folks can even SEE what they’re doing in CentralizedLand. Qualified voting could work if the qualification is that you need to have experience running or at least working in some kind of software/technology company but we all know that’s now how it would go down - same people, more power. Given the choices I have to go keep as-is. Hire some experienced tech managers and give them 4 million VP each would be a decent start.

The only option that feels reasonable to me is the option of creating a feasibility analysis team to look at proposals before they go to vote. However, I also feel that this should be the duty of the GSS, and that the members of the GSS should have some qualifying area of expertise in one or more of the grant categories with at least one expert per category. Also, the team solely reviews and advises without the ability to stop a proposal from going to vote- only give their honest, expert opinions.

Having this kind of support in the early stages before a proposal is brought to vote would be so helpful in preventing misunderstandings about what grantees are trying to achieve. Plus, it would give digestible insight to community members about proposals that may be beyond their realm of understanding. I think having to consult with a panel before submitting a grant request would eliminate some of the smaller issues we see in the grant program and be a good first step to cleaning up how the grant program works.

1 Like

Great initiative in the sight to improve grants program performance, I think it’s a good work and demonstrates the GSS worth and good will to work.

One thing I miss is about the retrospection of previous grants, everyones argues a lot on the requests, specially when there are economic interests for individuals or lobbies, but forgets about all projects afterwards, which can be really useful to learn. A post-grant evaluation committe could be useful as well. I’m personally not interested about transparency and process or inner details, but about how good a product/project is after the DAO bought it.

I agree with qualified voting but I was highly harrassed and with personal attacks when I proposed proof of education for voting, hope this is not the case again.

I will need to review the options in details in order to choose what I think could work better, but I think it’s a good initiative overwall.

1 Like

I’d go for establishing a Grants Pre-Selection Committee due to the evident advantages that have been outlined. The expenses associated with recruitment will be justified by the potential savings in both tangible and intangible resources.

Tech-savvy or other specialized community members often lack the time to share their opinions on every grant, let alone conduct detailed assessments. When that actually happens, there are few community members that read these evaluations and base their votes on them.

This option will definitely save time to the community and the rest of the DAO teams and committees and make us more efficient as an organization.

2 Likes

Hi!

Thank you to everyone for participating in the poll. We’ll gather and review the community feedback we received and consider it in our ongoing discussions.
It’s important to note that, for now, the current process for requesting grants remains the most suitable. We’ll continue to work together to make improvements where needed.
Kind regards,
Zino - Grant Support Squad.

1 Like

Another thing to add, is that I still see proposals without a roadmap being voted , passed and enacted.
Those kind of proposal are impossible to track and evaluate progress.
I think proposals should have a clear roadmap over months. If a project has 6 month duration, to have 6 fields for each month. Once passed, a committee could evaluate if a proposal is valid before being enacted.

1 Like

Improve the DAO Grants Program - Reviewing Grant Request Processes (Stage A)

This proposal has been REJECTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfb1afa4dc069ffb47b19dbee196045d508fcd5a2)