[DAO:962b417] [RENEWAL] Facilitation Squad H1 2024

I agree that moderation has been an issue. I myself have been threatened many times and forced to leave the dao discord over this. After speaking with @Fehz he has assured me that moderation will be improved and made a focus by this squad. Aside from moderation I believe the Facilitation Squad doe good work organizing the community and bringing dao issues to the public( tho as anything the reach still could be improved. Voting Yes on this

So true Serena,

Agree!!!

1 Like

Toxicity is very detrimental!

I would imagine that DR Chris would have much better things to do
but spew nonsense. Peace out and best of luck scamming some new Metaverse :kissing_heart:

1 Like

@MetaTrekkers stop provoking. so childish… @DedHeadJ He is clearly just trying to get a rise out of you better to not engage in the nonsense

1 Like

@dogman Not sure what you are alluding to :dog: ……focus on building :boy:.

@dogman I will also stop provoking, it is childish and really beneath me IRL. I am sure your question will be answered.

2 Likes

Hopefully with some new rules. It can help everyone behave appropriately. This can genuinely help people in personal development and mindfulness.

Im going to do heavy reserch on other platforms and put some proposal up to help. Maybe i can get some support on it.

Thanks for reading.

1 Like

The Facilitation Squad, led by Fehz, has been performing exceptionally well, and I am grateful for the opportunity to collaborate and exchange ideas with them. Many community members, including myself, have concerns regarding the moderators’ roles and the scope of their work. Notably, the grant amount given to the two moderators seems disproportionate to their recent efforts. Additionally, Kanwulf’s decision to disable direct messaging has created a barrier for privately addressing issues. And it was Fehz who recently stepped in to perform tasks typically expected of a moderator, significantly reducing unconstructive arguments and conflicts. Since Fehz’s intervention, the Discord channel has become more constructive, a result that should have been achieved by the paid moderator.

While I supported this proposal, I hope the concerns about the budget for moderators and the performance of the individuals involved are addressed. I also hope that our moderators remain impartial and resist succumbing to pressure from the community or other influential members of the DAO committee. I disagree with the recent decision to ban a forum user account based on a comment about gender made in the forum. As someone from a country with different cultural values, I feel that this action by the moderators suggests a preference for Western values over others. It’s important for the moderators to consider diverse perspectives and cultural backgrounds in their decision-making.

3 Likes

I believe jenn was the first to provoke MT by tagging him and calling him out for multiple things:

besides your comment is imo provoking too.

Returning to the proposal, I can vouch for @Fehz as a dedicated individual working for the DAO. However, I’m unfamiliar with the new moderator. If this proposal is approved, let’s ensure professionalism. $9,000 per mod for 6 months is substantial; let’s ensure the work justifies the payment.

1 Like

Enjoying high salaries, have you ever thought about how to resolve the biggest issues in DCL? DCL has been unable to break through and effectively attract new users. Have you ever considered how to make DCL profitable? Do you plan to keep burning DCL’s funds until bankruptcy? These are issues that deserve attention and consideration. Perhaps it’s time for serious reflection on whether you should continue to stay or pass the position to someone capable.

From your perspective, it might be, but my perspective is completely opposite. We need to address the core issues of DCL. No matter how well you package it, it’s useless if the core issues aren’t resolved. Users need a good product or a product that can make them profitable. That’s why DCL has struggled to attract new users for so many years, and even if there are some, they play once and leave. Ironically, an old report was not wrong – DCL is just 38 players. Besides our DAO and developers, are there any new users?

Before DCL goes bankrupt, I am more inclined to allocate funds to address core development issues and attract new users. Perhaps, in doing so, we still have a glimmer of hope. It’s not that I don’t support you, but we are facing a very dangerous situation, and I don’t want DCL to close down.

LandlordDAO, I am not a member of the Facilitation Squad or any other squads within the DAO but I’d like to clarify a few points from your comments:

1. As outlined in the whitepaper, Decentraland is a user-owned, community-driven platform and a not for-profit entity. The primary responsibility for generating profit rests with the landowners, creators, and developers, not with the Decentraland DAO or Foundation. It is crucial to understand that the role of the Foundation is to provide tools and the DAO to provide support, but the utilization of these resources for profit generation is the prerogative of the individual stakeholders. This is analogous to how major financial institutions like JP Morgan and Citibank operate; they self-promote and organize events to attract clientele, rather than relying on the DAO or Foundation to get users for them.

2. The challenge of increasing user engagement is not unique to Decentraland but is prevalent across various web3 metaverse platforms. Active participation and contribution to DAO meetings, discussions, and initiatives are vital for addressing these challenges. It is through such engagements that practical solutions and strategies can be formulated. Have you attended any of these sessions and if not I encourage you to attend these sessions and contribute constructively, rather than seeking immediate results without offering viable proposals.

3. The previously reported figure of “38 players” has been technically refuted, and this correction has been acknowledged by the original reporters. Moreover, the recent music festival, which spanned three days, saw considerable attendance, indicating active community engagement. Your participation in these events and support in promoting them would be greatly beneficial, which I personally did not witness your presence. I urge you to become more involved and observe firsthand the efforts of the Foundation and DAO in addressing the concerns you have raised.

For me, as an independent contributor and researcher actively engaged with the Decentraland community, I have had the opportunity to participate extensively in various sessions and engage in direct dialogues with key members, including Fehz. Through these interactions, I have contributed suggestions and strategic insights aimed at enhancing user participation and attracting more visitors to the platform. Based on my experience and observations, I firmly believe in the essential role of the Facilitation Squad. Their continued operation is pivotal for the advancement of the DAO and the overall enrichment of the Decentraland ecosystem.

1 Like

Hey @LandlordDao , I’ll try to address some of your concerns following @MetaRyuk reasoning, because it aligns with my thoughts.

Because we take things really seriously, our team not only invests substantial effort in onboarding new users to the DAO and the platform, promoting grantees and community events, but also demonstrates a 100% commitment to enhancing the entire Decentraland ecosystem through tangible actions.

Not only have we established frameworks for problem-solving and addressing community needs, but we also take the lead in driving discussions and implementing solutions, always from a DAO perspective and considering what we can collectively achieve as a community.

For a comprehensive overview, I encourage you to explore all materials, side projects, and documentation related to platform enhancements available in the Strategic Planning recordings and summaries. This collaborative effort involves coordination with both the Foundation and the community, resulting in numerous side projects emerging from our platform-focused discussions. Feel free to explore our Working Groups Workspaces for more details.

In our efforts to foster transparency, we’ve facilitated various ways for the community to engage with the Foundation, such as the All Hands meetings, the Request for Information (RFI) procedure, and other formal and informal instances. Our objective remains focused on proactive engagement, building bridges, and minimizing reactivity. It’s important to note that there are limitations, but they arise from the nature of being a DAO Squad.

Regarding “profitability,” our discussions are framed in terms of sustainability rather than financial gain. We are actively supporting another Working Group dedicated to finding a viable solution for the DAO’s long-term financial sustainability. This collaborative initiative involves the participation and collaboration of numerous community members, all working together towards an agreed-upon solution.

I hope I have adequately addressed your concerns.

Thanks!

Community moderation needs improvement. We need real moderation, not hiding behind “decentralization” tactics. We need moderators and help channel officials who are eager to help and are not lazy. We have lost so many great members of this community because of this.

Additionally, we need effective player moderation in-game or at least a way to vote offending players into time-out. DCL can be a decentralized platform using decentralized protocols, but with self-moderating structures in place. (inb4 COD lobbies enter the metaverse)

I am a big fan of Fehz, Fractillians (and also Fifi Tango from the GSS which I previously voted no for). I think these 3 people specifically are very important to the on-going development of DCL. However, I also struggle with validating $5500 per month at roughly $50/hr - especially when I look at the current state of DCL; maybe if things were going better, I’d be less concerned.

I’ll be abstaining from voting in the literal manner on the grounds stated above, which I both think strongly and feel passionately about.

I think that even without my vote this can easily pass, and if it does not for whatever reason, I hope the team will reconsider, revise and resubmit.

3 Likes

Well said @DOCTORdripp we couldn’t agree more! You took all the words out of our mouth! Much respect​:+1::+1::+1::clap:

Gov Operations
I am personally for the least amount of bureaucracy possible for any DAO, organization because of my views on government.

Strategic Communications
The Strategic Communications for things like social media I think are awesome for additional exposure and additional sources for grantees to use for promoting their grants. Strategic Comms is probably the best value for DCL community and grantees IMO out of all 4 categories the DAO FS performs. I think that the best values that the FS provides to Grantees are the Brick by Brick Builders Club, Community Highlights for grants, and the Creator series videos. I feel that these are excellent resources and references for people and projects to use as a real source for promoting their projects and themselves at a professional level. I also think that these things help to educate and interest other members/creators of the DCL community. The Town Halls may be excessive with 2 per month, and I am not quite sure how much value they bring overall at 2 per month. This information may be better communicated through other means instead. (I would rather see more Brick-by-Brick and artists/grantees highlighted. I think this does a better job conveying value of the DAO, the grants and DCL as a whole while teaching the community new things if done properly)

Grant Amount
I think the amount for the FS grant is pretty high considering the current state of the DAO and what seems to be a future downscaling of most grants due to changes in the voting and general DCL community sentiment. The only people who really make good money per hour IMO should be coders because of how few there are in DCL and how much coding is involved in many projects. If there were more active people in DCL other than a few hundred DAU, I would say the amount would probably be justified. At the moment though I have a hard time seeing what is about $200k/yr to run the DAO FS operations.

Stakeholder Coordination:
I feel like this category is the least important of the bunch, especially if the GSS does not get renewed at a similar grant amount. I also feel like the foundation should be able to communicate to the community directly and not sure what value a middleman like the FS would bring to the table. (What is it that the Foundation cant say to everyone that the DAO needs to be involved in?) Maybe the DCL Foundation needs to improve that and they just use the DAO FS as more of a scapegoat or person for people to react to, when the DAO probably shouldn’t be using resources of time to do so. Also, the community may feel left out or out of touch having other people like the FS do this Foundation communication for them.

2 Likes

I believe the issue of being overpaid has been brought up a couple of times here, and I concur with that thought.

A search would show that the annual salary of a doctor in Argentina earns the highest of 2.2m ARS(Argentinian Peso) which is equivalent to $6.2k USD per annum. We are talking top 1 percentile of doctor’s annual salary.

To give that amount a month would be considered asking for too much.

This is NOT a vote of no confidence for the FS, but rather, that the salary should come down.

3 Likes

If you adequately address my concerns, will I still be present here? Assuming @MetaRyuk’s reasoning aligns with your thoughts, your team becomes more irresponsible.

1. It’s your team enjoying high salaries, not me.
  2. I don’t have the luxury of time to be here every day watching over you; in reality, we all need income to sustain our lives.
  3. Your team should proactively report and deliver to the community or those supporting you (at least, I haven’t received any reporting so far), rather than expecting the community to figure out what contributions you’ve made. In reality, you are not contributing but rather being highly paid.
  4. I haven’t received any invitations or participated in any events. (Perhaps I would if I had the time.)
  5. As a voter or community overseer, what we need to see are results, not the process.
1 Like

11/22 Update: After reviewing Fehz’s response below - I am updating my vote to YES. I hope to see the resources spent on further bettering the DAO with your hard work. The Faciliation Squad is a core squad needed to maintain the success of this DAO.

First, I want to give kudos to the Facilitation squad’s hard work - it does not go unnoticed! Your squad truly helps with the organization of the Town Halls, marketing Decentraland DAO across social media platforms, organizing & engaging in community strategic planning sessions, the DAO Digest newsletters, the recent Brick-by-Brick sessions, & more. I can agree that this role is crucial in the success of our DAO.

However, I will have to vote NO for this current budget breakdown. I have similar concerns from the community above regarding the compensation, but more specifically on the moderation budget of $18K for 6 months. This amount can be reduced, given our current level of activity in the DAO discord. A suggestion is to utilize the moderators to help with other work to increase the overall quality of the DAO server & docs.

In the previous grant, I understand the cost & effort it took to get each of these milestones/initiatives up & running (i.e. producing the DAO Onboarding videos, creating the DAO Community Pulse template, RFI template, Notion repos, social media templates). I’d hope by now the team has established an efficient work flow, and shouldn’t require too much time to update. With that said, there may be room to reduce the scope for this grant period, unless new innovative work is planned (I…e working with GSS to create a grantee repo of completed githubs/docs, DAO onboarding & brick by brick landing page outside of Youtube).

I hope this feedback helps.

1 Like