[DAO:850f552] Should Tudamoon be Unbanned from the DAO Discord

If you are asking whether I support banning people in web3, then my answer is no. I believe that banning someone should only happen after the community has voted on it. Imposing a ban without due process can be seen as a form of centralization, where a small group of people has too much control over the community. I hope to see you do better next time @Matimio and @dax stop being a choir boy your embarrassing yourself by supporting a ban in web3, to the rest of the community don’t forget where you are!

5 Likes

unban, unMUTE!! this is crazy! He should have not have been banned in the first place! What reality is this LOL wtf…sorry, this is so silly. Unban unMUTE… or else, rename it “AuthoritarianLand”

5 Likes

That we have to vote for this is just sad… There are some SCAMMERS (I don’t call names here) received Grant Money and hanging with the Foundation and drinking Champagne + making fancy videos & pictures…

You are all free to mute ppl you don’t like by YOUR OWN.

I am very disappointed in some members here - i don’t wanna hear the words “Community Building” from you ever again!

3 Likes

decentralization ≠ no moderation

4 Likes

As the banning “moderator” I will say that I hope we never face this situation again in the future, and I hope that we can all pull out of this more aligned with each other. However, I do understand it will take time for a rebuilding of trust and I am here for that.

I will reiterate two points here that I do think are important:

1. I agree with @Peanutbutta, “decentralization ≠ no moderation.” And the Discord server is not the DAO. It was/is not controlled by a decentralized entity. Who/what/how it is controlled has never been broached by the DAO community until this instance. We had discord rules for over a year, and there were not any efforts to change them. This proposal is in line with those rules, and I hope it will put this specific incident to rest. I believe we should take strides to clearly articulate our policy on community moderation and administrative responsibility for the DAO’s discord. If there is a way to make that control more decentralized, we should.

2. While our initial grant included a clause that outlined our responsibility for " DAO Discord server moderation and engagement," our Grant Renewal did not include this role or responsibility. As a result, and because I personally do not want to be in this position anymore, I and other members of my team, will not be conducting any Discord Moderation activities. We will be there for engagement, and fielding questions about the DAO and its operations, but we will not be involved in any formal moderation.

The Initial role of the DAO Facilitator had a simple mandate:

Objectives

• Increase participation within the Decentraland DAO
  • Liaise between the DAO Committee and the community
  • Increase the amount and quality of community discourse
  • Help facilitate productive conversations and field questions related to the DAO

I hope that stepping back from any formal power to moderate can help us return to this simple mandate, and return to an objective and technocratic position in the DAO. As DAO facilitators, we should not be in a position of power, either by choice or by protocol.

I will continue to speak out when I feel a conversation is inappropriate or that someone is using targeted or aggressive tactics, but there will be no enforcement mechanism behind it, other than the moderation bot, which if deployed, we will all have access to call into action.

@Tudamoon while I do stand behind my rationale for the ban, and I do hope that you are able to see how your manner of engagement (which goes beyond asking hard questions) caused real psychological harm to those it targeted, including myself, I am also sorry for the lengthiness of this process, it should have been resolved much quicker.

I am voting for an unban without conditions on this proposal.

4 Likes

Of course not, [to a degree] however, the implementation of the ban vs unban should have been done in the same fashion (discord vote). That’s my opinion

Changing my vote to invalid since looks like @Tudamoon just got unbanned thus making this proposal invalid.

Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 6.09.50 PM

I dont get completely unbanned unless this passes.

1 Like

Ok nvm. you right this was just added.

As the proposal says:

I am glad that you guys have come to this decision and am confident that now you will be able to make even bigger progress on your actual objectives. Thank you for your service and please do not be discouraged. We need you in the community @Matimio.

I think this vote is premature, but I understand that we are acting according to the rules when the ban took place, and I can see that the community is in favor of unbanning Tuda from the server…

I can appreciate @Tudamoon because I am an experienced facilitator and community manager, and understand that certain characters and points of view are just part of the dynamic. I also agreed with some of the questions and points that Tuda has brought up, and in the past I have voiced that these were legitimate concerns.

I am also adamant about the Rules of Engagement (as I call them in my own facilitation groups). Respect is the credo we live by and I have zero tolerance for unnecessary drama, personal attacks, unfounded conspiracy theories, general toxicity… and I agree with @Matimio and his justification for the ban.

@Tudamoon I for one would like to invite you back to the server, because I believe your insistent nature, your eye for scrutiny and your input is valuable… but I’m not cool with the way you behave sometimes… it is detrimental to the progress of DAO conversations and borderline toxic, disrespectful, overly dramatic, and it outweighs the value you bring to the community. Do you, at all, feel that you should change the way you go about bringing up your concerns, starting with being more patient and respectful of other community members?

If @Tudamoon is allowed back in the server, will the behavior above continue… and are we ok with this?

Thank you for taking the time to read my comments. :pray:

1 Like

Please share examples so I can correct myself. I am not sure how to behave to your pleasing.

I find this like a backhand slap if you cannot provide examples so I can correct my behavior. I have been an aggressive question asker, however I claim to have had more ad hominem attacks against me without 1 person doing anything about it. In fact I even pointed it out when it happened and not one person had a problem with them calling me names. Meanwhile this seems like a target on my beliefs rather than my person because once again, I have not been given any evidence of wrongdoing, except just being told to “correct my behavior.”

1 Like

To be completely honest, anyone getting offended by a question, isn’t offended by the question, they are offended by their answer.
Their answer must have something wrong with it if they cannot answer confidently.

I am under the assumption that generally questions are neutral, it’s merely the answers that people get upset over and who’s fault is that? The question asker or the person answering the question?

It is not to my pleasing @Tudamoon (you are deflecting again) it is in accordance with rules of engagement established in the Rules channel… and purely a general and well-adopted methodology for community moderation and facilitation used by professionals all over the world.

Your behavior has been called out each time, on the spot, and instead of being receptive and more respectful, you continue to deny any wrongdoing, and continue to ask for examples, although we literally tell you, right when you are doing it, that you are doing it, and you just keep saying, “all I’m doing is asking questions”.

I am sorry to make you feel like I am “backhand slapping” you… it is not my intention… I simply disagree with the way you address the community and I am not the only one that has expressed this feeling. Others have tried, nicely, to call out the way you communicate, and you have dismissed their suggestions. I am not gonna go back thru chats and forums to find “examples”. It is unfathomable to me how you cannot see, even a little bit, how your behavior needs to change.

I agree with you: you are not the only person displaying various degrees of toxic activity, and I agree that you have been overly targeted with the whole ban thing in comparison with others who also use name-calling, personal attacks, unfounded conspiracies, doxxing, and general petulant behavior. I hope the new Modinator will help the community self-moderate the BS.

In closing… this is absolutely not an attack on your beliefs, as I have stated, I agree with some of the points that you bring up and have voiced that they are valid concerns… so I mostly agree with your beliefs… I am also very experienced with governance and community management, I am familiar with aggressive question asking, and your behavior unequivocally goes beyond that.

I hope we can have you back in the discord, and if someone, at some point says, “Hey @Tudamoon, I agree with you, and I second your concerns, but the way you talk to people gets you absolutely nowhere, even when you are right” that you will take that, not as a personal attack on your beliefs, or dismissing your POV, but as a genuine advice to help you achieve the good work you are trying to do here.

On a personal note: my mom is a retired Sergeant Major, one day she sat me down and told me “You’re right, but guess what, being right will get you absolutely nowhere if you don’t learn to control your temper and express yourself in a professional manner, you can say the same thing without kicking and screaming.”

I encourage you to find a new approach of expressing yourself, so that others will be more receptive to your very important message. If they are not receptive, be patient, don’t barrage people or threads with the same questions, don’t jump to unfounded negative conclusions about other’s motives without concrete evidence, don’t be so reactive and apocalyptic, allow time to be your friend and reveal some of the truths you try to shed light on, (as so happened with the MT grant).

You are passionate about this community and I appreciate that passion, I am also passionate and upset about some of the same things you are upset about. This is a classic case of someone pushing your passionate button, over and over, and you’ve tried to be nice, and taco’bout it, but when you finally flip TF out and tell it like it is, then you look like the crazy aggressor and get sent to mod jail. I know that there are people in this community who are straight up unscrupulous, and they get away with draining DAO funds, just because they are good talkers, and “nice to people”… I know that is not your style, and it boils my blood just the same to see them get away with it… just like you, I see right thru the BS… but this is proof that… being a good communicator, and changing your approach will actually get you MORE of what you want to achieve. Try it.

I appreciate your response to my comment, and thank you for being respectful of my opinion.

1 Like

You are too, I want screenshots evidence proving that this happened. It NEVER happened. I was in fact only asking questions. Until I see evidence of this and the TOXICITY you speak of. You are DEFLECTING. You have zero evidence. I do find it very strange how no one can post screenshots of this stuff they claimed happened. Meanwhile I have more than shared my evidence.

You are merely in words saying you agree with me, but you literally are attacking me without any evidence. This was not a conversation you need to be in. In fact, I feel like you are targeting me and this is purely toxic. Where is your evidence? As of now this is libel which I feel is toxic.

Well maybe you should follow her advice. Because I do recall I am friends with you on Discord and you could have messaged me instead of publicly lecturing me. This was a way to make you feel better about yourself or feel like you are “right.” This for me was kind of rude because while I have already been actively trying to be better about my behavior, you decided to rub it in more.

Did you see one comment before this where I was deflecting? Where I wasn’t being respectful? Have you seen anything in the last several weeks where my behavior was that? If not, maybe you should stop being so toxic towards me and take back what you said.

This is Web3. Anyone trying to teach others how to “behave” needs to be checked. I was following the rules. The problem is interpretations of them. Your interpretation of them is NOT the only way. It’s merely your opinion. This cancel culture that people needs to end. Walking on Eggshells is what got us to where we are today. If someone finds the question offensive, they are the problem. Otherwise a reasonable person would just state the truth or the facts supporting their answer.

1 Like

This is the second time you have told me that I should have messaged you in private. I have already told you before, that I don’t need to message you in private regarding a public proposal, this thread is meant for us to discuss it here, and that is exactly what I will do… why would I message you in private about a DAO issue that concerns the whole community? We are friends on Discord, but we are not friends. I don’t need to message you in private about anything.

But as you said to me in your private message on Discord just now, This conversation is over, thank you.

1 Like

Thank you for proving my point. No toxicity. I was asking questions. If anything @dax you were toxic by calling us whack. Could be seen as offensive. My questions were not disrespectful by any means.

Let me guess everything I say is toxic???

I literally went back in my search history and the only thing I see was heated was after the false TOXIC accusation from @Matimio directed towards me creating “ultimatums” which I was upset because there is a lack of evidence of that. Matimio did everything in his power to try to jab at me with false accusations that he admits cannot prove besides me telling him to “back the fuck off” or something like that. Or one thing I said in the forum which is listed above. However, it was not a valid reason to be banned. It’s like he was a police officer following you for miles in your car until you finally did something wrong. I admit, I said something like “back the fuck off.” It was because he was aggressing his moderation power against me without just cause. Any reasonable person would be upset in that situation.

I challenge everyone to find evidence besides what I said above my last paragraph of TOXICITY. It’s all there on the discord; Please search the truth for your own eyes in the Decentraland DAO Discord.
This narrative once again is a made up attack.