[DAO:7f607a9] Road Modernization

by 0xcecbe670c11d4d28678955f23e0d2d708d79c893 (KalebK)

Should the problem/opportunity outlined be refined and taken to the next level?

Problem Statement

The 2018 fake flower planters currently in the middle of DCL roads do not match the overall aesthetic of the majority of our land builds. We need to modernize our aesthetic.

Proposed Solution

Tastefully modernize the roads.

Target Audience/Customer Base

All DCL users including the DAO Committee.

Why is this relevant now?

First impressions are important. I think the world expects the metaverse to look modern.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Yes definitely!

We should start to move away from the low poly aesthetics into something more modern, perhaps even different themes for different regions of DCL to bring life to an otherwise mundane part of the map, i.e the roads and lands with nothing deployed.

Something i’d like to see on the roads.

• Distinct pavements that are aesthetically pleasing
  • Better landscaping/lights/lamp posts
  • Benches that are perhaps a little artsy fartsy?
  • For main roads, trams(modernized) should still be a part of the animation with some form of interactivity?
  • Digital/Analog clocks that show real world times in different timezones. (Top 3/5 timezones used)
  • Billboards that publicize upcoming and ongoing events.
  • Perhaps something dynamic that coincides with the time of the day in-world.

On top of that, I’d like to also propose we revamp the look of the default empty plot to also look less low poly (swaying trees, ponds?) (idk if this part of the contract belongs to the DAO or foundation)

2 Likes

May I ask a technical point that who owns the operator right of DCL roads? I know its by the DAO , but i just don’t know the exact deploy-flow of updating Road, would it be done by you @HPrivakos ?

1 Like

i think low poly is still a good idea considering the performance issues we are already facing

1 Like

Hey dax, what I meant was more of the aesthetics itself rather than increasing the poly count.

2 Likes

Owned by Aragon with manager permission to the Foundation linker-server (off-chain permission system developped by myself), so technically doable

2 Likes

Did I hear mention of Monorail? Palm trees? Yellow brick roads? Extraterrestrial highways? Autobahn? Road graffiti and murals? Waterfall tunnels? Trees that change color with the seasons? Vertical Gardens? Sky Roads? Named roads?

1 Like

Thank you for the explaination

1 Like

Road Modernization

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 99% 6,499,083 VP (86 votes)
  • No 1% 2 VP (3 votes)
  • Abstain 0% 0 VP (1 votes)