[DAO:3f88280] Gender Neutral Avatar

by 0x8a1b67b35420170750adc03351a229b5b87c9ae8 (shuah)

Hi as a non-binary user I would love to know if there’s any plans for a gender neutral avatar. I’m sure there’s difficulty in creating an entirely new option but I thought I’d raise the issue!

• Yaaas do it
  • Nooo icky
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

I don’t think the avatars are either male or female, what would you change in a different representation?
I believe most hairs and some others categories can already be used with the current two characters

2 Likes

Your inquiry is valid, appreciated and supported. Another point of consideration for this topic is the “gendering” of wearables. Currently, wearables are created as “Female”, “Male” and “Unisex”, and are only compatible with however you’ve setup your avi (of which there is not a non-binary option for the avatar itself). So YES absolutely “DO IT!” :slight_smile: Of course my mind now ponders “Should we have gender at all”? Surely we are more than a box tick, and feels irrelevant within the Metaverse world.

2 Likes

ur so right… there’s only CURVY and NOT CURVY!!!

okay actually though, trans rights are human rights, if you don’t agree lmk

You sound like Jar0d

u sound like jared <:)

I support your proposal but in terms of general gameplay I & looking to creators side I think we should find a more efficent way.

Considered that in terms of daily play the terms are used mostly to change the body shape and not to define if you are a man or a woman the easiest way to meet your proposal should be change names from “Man & Woman” to “Masculine & Feminine” I think

Introducing a third base isnt the easiest way to meet your request in my opinion, considered the large amout of wearables already deployed; Creators should create 3 different versions of a wearable instead of 2 (If wanted to make one per shape of the body)

2 Likes

The avatar choice is one of anatomy and not identification. Identification is something you can change in the description, but anatomy is binary, so no, no changes

Wearables are typically clothing, shoes, and other things you choose to put on your avatar. I believe the wearables should be left alone and folks can define the gender of their avatar.

I envision this making it harder for creators to create wearables…what would a non-binary wearable consist of? What would change? It its hair, what would the non-binary hair look like when compared to a binary version? How about for the nails? Shoes?

I believe this change would insert another layer of complexity and the ROI/value may be lower than what the proposer may want or envision themselves.

if its the case that wearables define the avatar then why not make every avatar gender neutral? Some wearables only work for male/ female avatar and personally I find this restricting. Voting Yes bc I would like to see a third option for gender neutral avatars

1 Like

That’s right, when you customize an avatar, it’s named “body shape” and not “gender”. This shows openness in my opinion. If we were to add another shape, what else can be chosen except curvy and not curvy?

1 Like

There already is an option for gender neutral FYI. Wearable creators can create a single wearable that’s either male/female, or both.

Voted invalid options for the following reasons:

• The “No” option is bait. I don’t think anyone is “icky” regardless of what aspect of their existence they choose to attach their identity to
  • I think the question of what makes us who we are goes far beyond our physical form, which I feel is just a shell for our true selves
  • Because I believe identity is far deeper than physical traits, I think the expectation that your body needs to match your personality is a social norm that should be questioned
  • There are already hair and outfit selections that prevent me from being able to tell whether someone’s using the male avatar or the female avatar
  • There are skins that let you be an alien riding a T-rex or a banana if that’s what you’re into
1 Like

Gender Neutral Avatar

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Yaaas do it 9% 507,592 VP (43 votes)
  • Nooo icky 50% 2,605,485 VP (55 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 41% 2,168,096 VP (21 votes)

Gender Neutral Avatar

This proposal has been REJECTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfb1afa4dc069ffb47b19dbee196045d508fcd5a2)