[DAO:26428c5] Resubmission - Genesis city map, 6-month renewal

by 0xbf0b8c681b54027b11318cd6cf7cbf96c49666a2 (m0lex)

Should the following $12,156 grant in the Platform category be approved?

Abstract

Based on the feedback received on our recently rejected proposal, we are submitting a new budget-reduced proposal reducing the team to only Ivan, our Lead Developer. seibo and maraoz will not receive compensation from now on, but will continue advising Ivan during the next 6 month transition.
Ivan will continue to maintain, update, and improve https://genesis.city, a top-down map of Decentraland.

Grant size

12,156 USD in DAI

Project duration

6 months

Beneficiary address

0xD58607F5323e4966a8c871E155Cee9489CF8c469

Email address

0xivanhoff@gmail.com

Description

As you may know, we’ve received funding from the Decentraland DAO four times before (1,2,3,4), which has enabled us to keep the project running and growing.
In November 2023, our grant proposal was rejected based on community feedback on costs. We greatly appreciate the community feedback and have come up with a solution which will keep the project going while significantly reducing the costs to the DAO.
In this proposal, only Ivan, Lead Developer, is part of the team, and the budget was reduced from $33,600 to $12,156.

Here are our main product updates from the past 6 months:
Genesis City Map Integration to DCL:
We collaborated with the Foundation on our map’s integration to Decentraland. Now you can navigate our map on Decentraland when selecting “Satellite View”.
External Image

Night Mode Layer:
You can explore Genesis City under Night Mode! We will let the image to talk for itself:
External Image

Land Info Modal:
When you click on a parcel it shows if the land is for sale or rent, at what price, a link to the marketplace and it displays the image from the official client’s map.

External Image

Land Sale/Rent Layer:
We created a new layer showing lands available for sale or rent. Clicking on a parcel displays if it’s for sale or rent, the listed price, and a direct link to the marketplace.
External Image

Enhanced Permalink System:
Permalinks now include your selected layers and status so you can share specific map views. E.g. You can now share a link with the Points of Interest layer enabled.

Easy Reporting:
Users can right-click on any broken coordinate, select “Report,” and it will be automatically reported.
External Image
Adjustments to the “Recent Changes” Layer:
We’ve tweaked the Recent Changes layer to offer a clearer view. The red markers that show changes are now more transparent so users can still see what is on the land.

Parcel Image API:
We’ve added an API to retrieve individual parcel images from our Map. Access a specific parcel image by making a GET request to the following URL format:
https://genesis.city/api/v1/land/{x-coordinate},{y-coordinate}.jpg
For example: https://genesis.city/api/v1/land/137,-145.jpg

Finally, we improved our project’s maintenance processes and stability. We paid off some technical debt, fixed bugs, and improved our database backup system.
We remain committed to engaging with our community and continue to receive valuable feedback from our users, including requests for new features and improvements.
We will request further grants in the future if the community continues to be happy with our work.

Roadmap and milestones

We will update the map weekly for 6 months. Once that time has elapsed we will request another grant.
Here are some of the projects in our roadmap:

• Land ownership layer.
  • Display weekly events.
  • See what’s nearby a location (eg. display info of events, POIs, etc).
  • Street view.
  • Land rating system.
  • Isometric views.
  • Allow users to upload photos of lands.
  • Staff picks.
  • Layer showing frequency of land updates.
  • Percentage of land development (user feedback).
  • Include missing parts of Aetheria (user feedback).
  • Search bar.
  • Bookmarks/favorite destinations.
  • Content age heatmap.
  • Display the bus routes.
  • Monthly/weekly treasure hunt.
  • Geolocated comments.
  • Historical view of the entire map.
  • Metamask log-in for displaying user-owned lands.
  • Livestream of virtual cameras from certain points in DCL.
  • Design tweaks.
  • Performance improvements (e.g. Estates Layer optimization).

We will continue improving the website and mapping script based on this list and future suggestions by our community. Please let us know which features are the most important to you, so we can prioritize accordingly.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Hello team, thank you for listening to community feedback and re-evaluating the costs to continue this project.

Based on the following assumptions effective Jan 2024 with a weekly end date of Saturday:
$12,156/26 weeks = $467 per week for one person. Kindly advise, how many hours will Ivan have to work to complete the weekly update?

How many more grants do you envision needing at this rate before it is considered “maintenance mode?”.

Appreciate your time and thank you for the work that you do.

1 Like

Good. Even better to add some design.

Hello again, it looks like your 5th grant request is going to be approved however I would still like to know if you are planning to ask for another and another grant. What is the plan for completion or at least maintenance?

@Canessa I was surprised to see you vote yes this round after you questioning the last round: Genesis city map, 6-month renewal (decentraland.org)

The map is really beautiful, I am not discounting that at all however where are the Stars on the map or even new places asking for a POI or place on the map? This is getting very ridiculous IMO that we don’t even have new places asking and yet we are still paying to enhance the map?? Sorry not trying to be rude just asking.

The cost reduction makes me feel more comfortable voting in favor of a grant this size. My original concerns were around the ability for users to find this project, which has been changed since DCL has included it in the official map. Now my only question is how will we continue to maintain this? I’m voting yes because I think it brings value to the platform, especially to new players who are exploring for the first time. However I will be less inclined to support if questions remain unanswered, and continued maintenance fees remain high.

1 Like

Hello,
Thank you for your interest and participation in this proposal.

Regarding the weekly update, it typically takes around 15 hours for tasks like script runs, checks, monitoring, and QA. On top of that, I put in around 4 hours each weekday for planning, creating new features, and cleaning up bugs. The daily hours might flex a bit based on how tricky the tasks get.
The project has improved significantly since its beginning, and there’s still room for further enhancement, both in the development of new features and in the optimization of the update process. If this grant is approved, at its conclusion, we will determine the best course of action moving forward based on community feedback.

Thanks for your time, support, and the community’s input.

1 Like

Thank you Ivan, the number of hours that you will spend vs the grant request is reasonable. I will be changing my vote from Abstain to Yes. Again, I appreciate the work and the efforts that the team has made to produce a visually enticing and as @Canessa mentioned easy to use end product for new users specifically.

1 Like

Resubmission - Genesis city map, 6-month renewal

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 98% 7,376,043 VP (77 votes)
  • No 1% 513 VP (2 votes)
  • Abstain 1% 1,476 VP (2 votes)