[DAO:118420e] Categorization of Points of Interest in Decentraland

by 0x7bbea9c18cd0541acab8c19da2b11d0c03faef1c (1Existence)

This proposal aims to establish guidelines for categorizing Points of Interest (POIs) in Decentraland to enhance user experience and discovery of key locations. We propose dividing POIs into specific categories to reflect their unique value and characteristics within the virtual environment.

Motivation:

1. To ensure that POIs provide distinct value to users.
  2. To align POIs with Decentraland’s diverse offerings and standards.
  3. To recognize the unique qualities of various POIs and their contribution to Decentraland.

Proposed Categories:

1. Venue POIs: Places that regularly host events, such as clubs and event spaces.
  2. Art POIs: Permanent installations that are valuable for their artistic merit, independent of events.
  3. Commercial POIs: Locations representing commercial entities (e.g., brand stores) maintaining a presence in Decentraland.
  4. Legacy POIs: Landmarks that showcase the history and evolution of Decentraland.
  5. Memorials. Places dedicated to honor someone who has passed.
  6. [Additional categories can be added based on community input.]

Implementation:
This will be a non-binding pre-proposal poll to gauge community sentiment. If approved, a working group will be formed to discuss and finalize the categories and their criteria. The community will have the opportunity to contribute ideas and feedback throughout the process. Will also take key points from the POI requirements once that become official.

Community members are encouraged to share their thoughts and suggestions on this proposal either on the Decentraland DAO Discord or in the forum comments.

• YES: Implement categorization of POIs into the proposed categories.
  • NO: Keep the current system without categorization.
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

2 Likes

Excellent idea and thank you @ALPHAALVES for initiating the discussion with the various POI removal requests. While some places may not be active with parties or traffic, they have value for some of the reasons listed above.

2 Likes

Great initiative!

A Pre-Proposal Poll about POIs has passed a couple of days ago, and a working group has been created. Would be nice if you join efforts to build one comprehensive policy. Just a suggestion :slight_smile:

Don’t hesitate on reaching out!

That is exactly what I had planned cause I knew there was one about guidlines for acquiring a POI.

a Game catergory was mentioned by @jar0d

You forgot the most common category “BUY MY NFT”. For real though GAMES

@Existential14 and @Fehz, I would like to warn that if it succeeds, an easily modifiable option would be appropriate in its implementation to add categories quickly without having to resort to a governance process again.

I say this because it is possible that in the selection of such categories some that may be necessary in the future are left out.

1 Like

Can we have an “other” category?

1 Like

Categorization of Points of Interest in Decentraland

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Yes: implement categorization of pois into the proposed categories. 84% 4,570,999 VP (49 votes)
  • No: keep the current system without categorization. 15% 863,364 VP (1 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 1% 503 VP (1 votes)

Categorization of Points of Interest in Decentraland

This proposal has been PASSED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfb1afa4dc069ffb47b19dbee196045d508fcd5a2)