[DAO:0a0280e] Airdrop for Active Wearable Creators

by 0x247e0896706bb09245549e476257a0a1129db418 (LordLike)

SUMMARY

This proposal aims to gather opinions on introducing an airdrop program targeted at wearable creators within the Decentraland community who have incurred expenses on submissions. The initiative aims to reward these creators, revitalize their interest in submitting new wearables, and make the market more lively.

BACKGROUND

Community feedback has highlighted a decrease in motivation among creators to submit wearables, primarily due to insufficient incentives.

PROPOSAL

Implement an airdrop program that will reward creators based on the amount they have historically spent in submitting wearables.

Market stats for reference:

VOTING OPTIONS

Yes: Conduct Airdrop for Wearable Creators.

No: Leave as it is.

This is a non-binding pre-proposal poll designed to gauge community sentiment. If approved, a working group will be established to discuss and determine the details of the airdrop, including the specific amounts and eligibility criteria. These details will then be finalized and submitted for approval in the next governance stages.

• YES
  • NO
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

1 Like

Come on, wake up. This is not niftyisland nor sandbox, we’re on decentraland.

What we are going to drop? Mana from the DAO treasury? No thanks.

1 Like

4 Likes

I spent over $10,000 on the blue fairy :woman_fairy: wearable submission alone cuz Mana was at the all time high at that point. So I am down lol anyway we can make it relevant to the amount they spent on the wearable submission fees since it fluctuates? I think everyone knows I am one of the top spenders but I think even @JTV has me beat since he got those Santa Hats done during all time high too and was like 6 or 8 of them lol. Epic times :saluting_face:

3 Likes

I support doing something to benefit wearable creators, but I am not sure this is the right route. I am voting YES to move the conversation forward.

4 Likes

I am curious, how would people feel if we extended this to those who have built on their land and hosted events for the community?

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback, glad you are onboard. Definitely open to defining things a bit more clearly. Ultimately the goal would be to recapture those who might have parted from DCL. With the slew of updates and SDK 7, they might not know what else cooking.

2 Likes

I believe that the optimal time to talk about this proposal will be when the DAO is in profit position. But at the moment, unfortunately we are quite far from reaching that point

1 Like

It would be really cool if there were rewards for people who reported and jumped all the hoops for finding bugs in DCL. Like for all their time spent in the help channel trying to help “help” fixed this platform, lol.

It would be exciting to launch an appreciation airdrop! Creators want to be appreciated and so do the users. Repeatable sustainable gestures are important. A focus should be toward a creator friendly enviroment. It’s paradoxical: to get creators, you need users; to get users, you need creators.

@AaronLeupp and me gave away 100k+ DCL wearables.This was genuinly fun and highly engaging but unsustainable for user longterm acquisition. The next phase of Decentraland growth will be through rewarding and fun gameplay/activties. Exodus is testing it’s own methods of user retention and growth. Finding affective models in this area for creators/builders should be a high priority.

This isn’t exactly tied to creator incentives but I think it’s important to consider what may be more affective ways to attract interest in the platform. Thank you for the proposal post and highlighting this area.

2 Likes

as a big fan, big lover, big investor, big player and also a small creator of dcl…
we need an airdrop. but not like this.

real dcl creator doesn’t need a few mana. they need a user.
dcl’s duty is give users to creators

dcl should give an airdrop to a wide range of people outside dcl, so that make people who don’t care about dcl come to dcl.

for example…
dcl…as a leading project in crypto gaming sector, it’s not that hard or expensive to mint a meme coin and just give it to 50K+ people.

i dont know why dcl doesn’t care about trend. it’s really a cheap marketing. if… when this trend were gone, it would cost more than several millions $ to catch people’s attention.

You also want an airdrop or reward. Maybe for the DG wearables?

At this point let’s just split the current DAO treasury between the remaining 38 DCL active users and call it a day.

1 Like

Airdrop for Active Wearable Creators

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 51% 2,678,229 VP (32 votes)
  • No 49% 2,616,729 VP (19 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 0% 0 VP (0 votes)

I’ve struggled with this proposal because I don’t want to appose fellow creators as I believe all creators voices matter, however, I personally do not like the idea of an airdrop. I think it makes way more sense to incentivize via VP rather than a rebate (Currently being actively discussed in town halls and focus groups). Long term incentivization would work out better for the DAO than setting a precedent for short term incentivization. I don’t like the idea of it being perceived as the DAO basically giving us our money back because it didn’t work out. I believe if the platform was in a bull like it was in 2021/early 2022 we wouldn’t even think about wanting an airdrop because we were all profiting back then. Regardless if the platform survives or not, I believe our contribution should be awarded differently. If the platform survives and thrives, the VP will weigh much heavier than being awarded via MANA back. The fee has changed so much (as shown in the linked data table) that it would be quite complicated to make sure everyone is airdropped accordingly. In which I feel the DAO’s efforts should be used elsewhere right now.

Not to mention that this airdrop could get out of hand very quickly with other contributors feelings they deserve an airdrop too. (Builders, event venues, collectors, programmers, etc)

1 Like

I’m unsure how to feel about this. As much as I would never say no to a free airdrop, I’m not entirely sure how this would help the marketplace and Decentraland’s ecosystem.
I agree with Nikki about the VP, I have my addy on that spreadsheet 140 times for all the wearables I’ve published but I have almost next to no VP and little say in votes towards anything even though I feel like I’ve contributed to DCL’s marketplace quite a bit.
I do think it’d be nice to give an incentive towards active wearable creators but I also am not sure if this is the correct way hence why I didn’t vote. (Also I thought originally it meant airdropping wearables like a t-shirt).

1 Like

Appreciate both the comments @NikkiFuego @Doki, I find the preference for VP over an airdrop to be interesting. Although we maybe be pushing for different things, I think it drives home an important point that creators care for the platform. :pray:

As creator, I would like to receive 1 parcel as airdrop, to represent my marketplace wearables portfolio as in-world scene (maybe this can be done through hardcode or whatever). Would be great to reward creators who paid more than 1k$ or more. VP idea is great too.

2 Likes

I believe a “small airdrop” would be fine. It doesn’t necessarily need to be a full refund to each creator.

Similar to when projects conduct token buybacks (as DAO did with LAND) an airdrop could demonstrate appreciation to early adopters of certain features of the platform.

I’m opposed to it being VP, an airdrop in the form of MANA would already represent VP if held.

Voted in favor.

1 Like

@theankou I really like that idea however I am not sure how feasible this would be. Depending on the requirements to receive it might end up being quite a lot of parcels!

I do know some people that have land that might be open to delegating to you :slight_smile:

Appreciate the response @Sannin! I am interested to hear more from those who would prefer VP and the reasoning behind. As you stated the airdrop would represent VP if held, downside is they might not want to use the mana to submit then. Perhaps that might be something they could live with.

I am curious what amounts airdrop vs VP would be, but I would prefer to leave that up to the community decide!

1 Like