Wearables Curation Committee Member Nominations

Summary

A call to add additional members to the Wearables Curation Committee.

Background

While the wearables editor allows anyone to create wearables for Decentraland Avatars, all submissions must be reviewed and checked for technical issues or obvious infringements of Decentraland’s content policies before they may be minted on Polygon and distributed. The Wearables Curation Committee was formed to help with this process.

So far, the Curation Committee has been very successful in helping to review over 500 items. (See this query on The Graph for the most recent stats.)

There are currently only three individuals sitting on the Curation Committee, and the time and effort required to review submissions is exceeding their capacity.

To help guarantee that new wearables are reviewed and passed through the publication process in a timely manner, we need additional curation committee members.

Qualifications of Committee Members

Curation Committee members must have previous experience that demonstrates their ability to provide high quality, technical feedback to creators. Specifically, committee members should have (at a minimum):

• Practical experience with 3D modeling and animation
  • A full understanding of skin weighting
  • A full understanding of the 3D asset pipeline for Decentraland wearables as documented here
  • An understanding of the glTF asset pipeline
  • A general understanding of the Decentraland platform and Decentraland’s DAO
  • A general understanding of blockchain transactions and layer 2 solutions

Compensation and time requirements

On August 20th, 2021, the DAO approved a proposal to compensate each committee member with 50 MANA for every item they review.

Committee members are compensated per item reviewed (not hourly), and there are no hard time requirements. That being said, the current committee members are working between 10 and 20 hours per week. This workload is expected to change as the number of active committee members fluctuates.

Suggested nomination process

Anyone from the community can nominate a candidate, but people should not nominate themselves. Please post nominations as responses to this thread.

A nomination should include:

• A short description of the candidate and their qualifications
  • The candidate should then respond accepting the nomination
  • The candidate may then provide further information and examples of their past performance and relevant experience if they feel they have something to add to the nomination

Providing comprehensive biographies and relevant portfolios are critical to ensuring that technically proficient candidates are voted in by the community.

Selection process

As nominations are submitted and confirmed/accepted by the nominees in this thread, the DAO Facilitator can create a simple yes/no DAO proposal for each candidate’s addition to the committee (similar to the process used to hire the DAO Facilitator).

14 Likes

If people have comments, suggestions, or concerns about this process, let’s discuss! Thanks everyone!

1 Like

I have a few amazing community members in mind, but if I can only nominate one - that would be @HirotoKai. HK’s dedication to the DCL Community, specifically with regards to wearables creation, has been immense and is not unnoticed. HK is active with creation solo and in-collaboration with others. Additionally, HK is consistently supporting others projects, addressing questions, and hosts wearable educational tutorials too. Much respect to HirotoKai!

6 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the nomination! I’m not sure there’s any reason we can’t nominate more than one person though.

1 Like

Hey everyone!!

I’d like to nominate Laura Uson Dolsac, Malloy, and Sebastian. I think they are going to do an awesome job with this, also all of them are active dcl community creators who know the 3D pipeline of wearables and 3d assets super well.

Here are some details on their backgrounds and experience:

Laura Uson Dolsac

Laura is a lead artist and wearables designer for Polygonal Mind. With a bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts, Laura has been working on video games professionally since 2016. Since Decentralnd’s launch in 2020, Laura has helped to build several successful scenes for projects including Momus Park, ABM, and most recently Etheremon and the Wondertech pledge.

While working for Polygonal Mind, Laura has built or contributed to many popular wearable collections. Notable examples include the Meme, Moebius, and BAYC collections. Laura is a skilled and thoughtful mentor, and has worked with numerous members of the Decentraland community to help them bring their wearables and creations into the world.

Malloy

Malloy is one half of https://www.feekagames.com/. A professional 3D artist since the age of 18, Malloy originally worked for the HSN US Television shopping channel creating 3D product animations and renders in C4D. After working for 6 months in advertising, Malloy went to university where they received a BA degree in Computer Game Arts.

During their time at university, Malloy worked on various titles, and interned for several game studios in the Guildford, UK, area. Examples include Born Ready Games, Edge Case Games, Atom Republic, and Echo Peak. After graduating, Malloy worked for various studios, helping to launch titles for the Xbox One and Playstation 4.

After 8 years of working in the gaming industry, Malloy transitioned to full-time independent work alongside a friend from university. Together, they’ve since provided 6 years worth of work to Atom Republic with Atom Universe content, in addition to working with many other indie studios from around the world. They’ve also recently developed their own mobile game “Patty Stack’, which launched in March of 2021.

Malloy discovered Decentraland about 6 months ago shortly before the launch of the L2 wearables editor. Malloy thoroughly enjoys the wearables creation process, and has worked with several parties within Decentraland’s community, including the Foundation, to help provide 3D content.

Sebastian

Sebastian is Wonderzone’s Art Lead and wearables designer. With a bachelor’s degree in 3D modeling and game design, Sebastian has been working as a professional 3D artist for the last 4 years. Since Decentraland’s launch in 2020, Sebastian has created over 10 different wearables collections for the Foundation and for Wonderzone. Notable examples include the Wonderbot, Outfit of Wonder, and the Materochaser collections.

Sebastian has also worked with numerous members in the community, helping to coach them through the creation and publication process. You can view Sebastian’s portfolio at: Portfolio - A 3D model collection by Sebastian Valla (@sebastianvalla) - Sketchfab

5 Likes

I would agree @HirotoKai does amazing work and is fully dedicated to the DCL community, i would definately nominate him

1 Like

Thank you guys :slight_smile: means a lot!!

2 Likes

Id like to suggest Malloy, he has a strong background in 3D and is an active member of the decentraland community!

2 Likes

I agree Malloy as well is another great candidate for both his 3D background and community involvement

1 Like

Hello! I was told to post my ETH Address for my nomination to the wearable committee! :slight_smile: 0x716954738E57686A08902d9dd586e813490feE23

2 Likes

Hello there! I was told also to post my ETH address for my nomination so here it is :slight_smile: 0x5d7846007c1DD6dcA25d16CE2f71EC13Bcdcf6f0

2 Likes

Same! here’s the address for my nomination: 0x91e222Ed7598eFBCFE7190481f2fd14897E168c8

3 Likes

Howdy,

Here is my address for the nomination: 0x82d54417FC69681dc74A6C0c68C6DBad5A2857B9
Cheers!

3 Likes

Hi I would like to nominate 2 people, firstly is @arnj_joe for the curation committee. He has been incredibly professional and trustworthy throughout the work i have commissioned him to do. He walked me through the polygon deposit process, wearables submission process and has been forthcoming in helping me with any alterations i have needed on my designs. He has an illustrious background in 3D design with a degree in computer animation as well and i feel he would be an asset to the team as he is an absolute expert in his craft.

I would also like to nominate @Sango who has been approachable from day 1 in the decentraland community. He has been incredibly welcoming and has helped me with a number of 3D models and continues to help me with my build from anything from wearables, Poap dispensers, 3D lighting systems and a wearables shop. He is an excellent 3D modeller with a natural flair for wearables and i have been incredibly happy with the quality of work he has produced for me.

I’ve only been in the community for a few months but both of these designers are an asset to your community and should be considered for the curation committee. Both of these men should be considered as they will help to further the project, further the community and help to build some amazing artwork for all of us to enjoy.

4 Likes

Hey there! I would like to recommend @arnj_joe !

He was so approachable when creating 2 amazing wearables for my Clever Girls collection. He even walked me through all the steps to upload and have them ready to sell and gift.

Also, his 3D skills are amazing!

5 Likes

Greetings! I would like to nominate @michi

Mitch Todd is a Melbourne based designer and wearable creator that has worked on projects for Pokemon Go, Disney and 7-Eleven. He currently has experience working on 3D projects for 2 years, a Bachelors in Design and developed 8+ wearable collections. (Cloudy City & commissions)

Since joining Decentraland @michi has been involved in building spaces for land, featured in two exhibitions that involved spaces that engaged users and collaboration within the community.

His Ethereum Address is: 0x336685bb3A96E13B77E909d7C52e8AfCfF1E859E

6 Likes

I accept and appreciate the nomination. Thank you so much BigMouth! :fire:

5 Likes

I also accept the nomination, thank you so much to @Jon.The.Power and @FatBaby.

I received a degree in computer animation in 2010, and I’ve worked in the field ever since. I’ve worked on major motion pictures such as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1&2, Looper, Gangster Squad, My All American, Fright Night, Men in Black 3, Looper, and The Conjuring among others. I’ve been an active creator on the Steam workshop for several years, mostly creating assets for a D&D stream (using tabletop simulator) that I ran on twitch which we unfortunately had to end about a year ago.

I found Decentraland in March of 2021, and immediately began to ply my trade here. I began with building private galleries and then moved on to create an Opensea collection with a dozen prebuilt NFT’s ready to be dropped into the world. (https://opensea.io/collection/arnj-joe-dcl)
I began creating wearables the first week that the public wearables market launched, and I’ve spent a lot of time in the past six months successfully creating commission wearables for various collections, individuals, and entities, including Decentral Games, Bitbones, Aeron’s Treasures, Clever Girls, Fang Gang, among a multitude of others.

I am very familiar with the creation of video game assets and the workflow involved with submitting wearables to Decentraland, and I’ve walked almost all of my clients through the entire process after the creation, from bridging funds to polygon to the submission/approval process.

My Address is 0xDF8Fc03e54F93e67CfEC067889a01Fb4AF6BAF8b

3 Likes

Hello, I also nominate @arnj_joe ! He has been super helpful and kind and his skills in making wearables among other skills are really remarkable, and he does fast and meticulous work. We hired him to create a couple of wearables for our Musician client and she is super happy with the outcome and so are we! ALSO, I was gifted a couple of wearables from @arnj_joe and I love wearing them, especially the bling on my wrist! He would be a great addition to the team.

2 Likes