MANA contributed to the DAO should be rewarded as VP

Currently these revenue streams are important for us to have a prosperous decentraland:

I propose we reward these people with more VP in the DAO.

Names minting Fee.
A name currently gives 100VP… I believe a name should give the voter an extra 100VP… Because they are locking their MANA…
(This will encourage people to buy NAMEs and contribute more to the DAO.)

Wearable fees
100% of the fees involved with wearables should be given as VP.
If you spent 500 MANA to mint a collection. Then you receive 500VP.
(Encourages more creating, minting, reselling, etc)

LAND/ESTATE fee
If a user buys LAND in MANA. Then 2.5% should be given as VP.
So if you paid 100,000MANA for 10 LAND. Then you receive 2,500 VP.
(This could encourage people to “flip” lands which will contribute more to the DAO.)

These fees are given to the DAO anyway so it can’t be manipulated.
Thoughts?

1 Like

names: yes, why not?

wearables: yes yes yes, this has already been proposed.

land: it’s an interesting idea but I’m not convinced. I think people doing flip won’t be interested on the VP and it isn’t worth adding complexity.

1 Like

flipping used to be a big part of DCL.
We used to have a few real estate guys like (@Klockmann)
That would find customers with $ to buy LAND.

This was big for our marketing and they would take a percentage.
Now I’m suggesting that they get VP instead of a %.
(We do need a referral system as well to be honest)

I think we need more people like this…

2 Likes

All those MANA are redistributed, so you are basically creating an infinite VP generator.

and what’s the problem and impact with that ?

I guess the problem is, VP represents your holdings related to DCL. By adding your fee history, your VP would be more complicated. Also at some point, even if you sell all your DCL assets, you would still have some VP to vote in a DAO which you have no financial relationship.

VP from MANA, LAND/ESTATE and NAME is stable. Adding L1 wearable ownership to the VP is hopefully the last adjustment for this topic.

ok, that’s a valid argument as a problem, and what could be the impact nowadays?

This is a misleading comment because the VP is always earned…
Infinite money is what the DAO needs… :laughing:

Agreed

That person would of invested that $ directly into the dao and have nothing to show for it…
If I take the risk and flip $10m of LAND in 2024…
I make $250k for the DAO… (To fund projects)
Maybe I make a profit… But I have no VP…

This is something that I’ve been thinking about since 2021…
I’ve bought a lot of “exotic” LAND since launch.
1 parcel I paid 70k MANA… (next to genesis)
That generates 1.75k MANA for the DAO…
I only get 2k VP.
The contribution is never respected…

If I buy a LAND for 100k MANA…
And sell it for 110k MANA…
I give the DAO 2.5% like a tax…
But that 2.5% is 25% of my profit, which is enough of a reason to not flip LANDs…
So the VP is more like a reward for paying your taxes :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, been saying this for years. If we want to make Decentraland successful and create stability forever have to treat it like a business. And business focus on customers that bring in revenue. Here is a screenshot of Transparency page 2 years ago when I pitched Linking all the top 10 NFT collections in Decentrland

This was an all time high but can see Wearable Submission Fees was main customer base for a long time. Yet not giving them any VP and everyone else VP one can deduce it was a form of communicating they did not value there voice. Yes I am bias because I am probably one of the people that have spent the most USD on wearable submission fees even famous for paying almost $10,000 USD on one wearable submission fee (ATH). Yes I am crazy lol. But the reality is I think if we gave people VP based on the USD value they spent on wearable submission fees the DAO would be in a way more successful direction then it is now. Since we can all see the current state of the DAO is not working. And anything is better then nothing so we don’t have anything to lose trying this at this point. Unless I am missing something.

3 Likes

First, my 2 satoshis:

The point of an economy is not to make people spend money just to spend money.
It is to make people spend money on goods and services.
Any argument claiming that activities which involve nothing else than buying and selling can be of any value to a society, is rather specious in my opinion.

I feel it is contributions to DCL which need to be encouraged. NAMEs give more space for creating interactive experiences, it really doesn’t make sense to highlight anything else than that.

+1

Activity which involve nothing else than buying and selling ! :angry: Really no better than Ponzi scheming.
There is of course no right to forbid anyone from doing this. But I highly disagree that it is one of the places where the DAO should be seeking revenue.

1 Like

Now about the topic at hand: should MANA expenditures yield VP ?

Agreed, I would say even Wearables should yield VP, perhaps based on their rarity. Those can be considered asset.

And MANA spent for expenditures really shouldn’t be candidate for VP. That should be considered tax.

And thus in the end, it isn’t Wearable submission fees (tax !) which should yield VP.
It is successful Wearable Submissions (assets !) which should yield VP.

To be honest guys, you need to spend more time in DCL and brag less about VP.