by 0x8cff6832174091dae86f0244e3fd92d4ced2fe07 (frami)
A proposed framework for grants that may be requested through the DAO. The goal is to ensure that grants have the scope, goals, planning, and appropriate funding needed to be successful.
One of the features to be added to the Decentraland DAO is community grants. These grants will use MANA owned by the DAO to help fund teams and/or individuals who want to create features or content for Decentraland. However, it is important to allocate the DAO’s MANA judiciously for several reasons:
- The DAO’s MANA fund is limited
- There are limits to what can realistically be built within the Decentraland platform
- It is common ground that it is in the community’s best interest to maintain the ability to fund a range of projects over a long period of time
To maximize the impact of the DAO’s funds and to ensure the DAO gives funds to projects most likely to succeed (thus adding value to Decentraland for the entire community), grants should be constrained in size and category to make it easier for the community to review and vet proposals.
The proposed grant categories are:
- Platform contributor
The proposed initial grant tiers are:
- $500 - $1500 USD in MANA, one-time payment
- $1500 - $3000 USD in MANA, one-time payment
- $3000 - $5000 USD in MANA, up to a 3 month vesting contract with a one month cliff
For a full description of this proposed Grants Framework, please see this doc.
The Decentraland Foundation will implement these grant categories and tiers into the DAO proposal submission process by means of pre-designed forms. Only grant applications within the above described framework will be funded through the DAO.
Do not use the grants framework described in this proposal to limit funding provided to projects through the DAO. (Note: if this proposed framework is rejected by the DAO, an alternative framework may be proposed pending feedback and discussion within the community.)